First Time to Whistler!!

Printable View

• 07-31-2012
    Swell Guy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    (16) Lastly - I could have hit the container jump on freight train but chickened. I stopped to look at it & watched a few guys go over it & knew I could ride it. I was up there alone on my last day, starting a new job 2 weeks after I get back & just decided it wasn't worth the risk. Really regretting that now. Puss.

If you can jump at all, the Container is really easy. The mount is easy, you can overshoot it and nothing bad happens. The dismount is a little more tricky imho. If you overshoot, bad things can happen, better to simply roll it or huck it just a little.

Otoh, prudence is always a good thing to not shorten your trip or come back to your job hurt (or not at all).
  • 08-01-2012
    cyclelicious
    Excellent report B-Mac, It was informative, and inspiring!
    I've never been to Whistler (been to Vancouver for a conference) but now it's on my list of riding destinations.
    I always wondered about the weather and how it affects the riding but it sounds like you had mint conditions
    Thanks and still would like to see pics :)
  • 08-01-2012
    delirian
    yepistler is indeed a fantastic place it's as addictive as crack cocaine, and can be as harmful if not treated with respect,,,, it's always best to ride within your limits,
    yep the jumps on aline are huge to someone who isnt used to them, i come up short on a few of them and it can be scary when you do so, it's taken me 5 years visiting twice a year to pluck up the skills and confidance to hit them properly, and do the creek jump on dirt merchant and the big glc, i am still yet to hit the container jump and fade to black, i keep phsycing myself out, :):):):) but i know what the consequences of failiure are. .

if you do go back, look at Welcome to Bear Back Biking. these guys will help improve your riding and get you jumping the bigger stuff,
  • 08-02-2012
    B-Mac
    I did get WAAAY better at jumping while I was there. I was having a problem with some pretty serious bucking. There's a little jump skills area over by the start of A-Line that my instructor/guide took me to after a warm-up run down B-Line. Basically, I was pre-loading too early.

I was doing pretty well, but I didn't really get that muscle memory, so my timing was occasionally messed up - especially on some of the bigger lips and at higher speeds. The lip on that container looked pretty gradual though, pretty sure I could have pulled it off. Next time, definitely.

I've got a DH trip planned to Seven Springs PA on 8/12. Planning to spend a bunch of time working on building up that muscle memory (& core strength!) and increasing confidence.

Delirian - Agree 100% with the first line of your post!

SoulRider - Thanks for the vid and advice. Pre-trip, I'd get sweaty hands and a bit of fear looking at Whistler vids. Now, just a mad compulsion to go ride LOL. Miss that place bad already.
  • 08-03-2012
    B-Mac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Very nice writeup, thanks. Sounds like you had a blast.
    If you recall the $$$ places you ate, post them. Might help convince the gf it is worth _her_ time to go with me. :)

Araxi was one of the better ones. Jen really liked the drinks & the food was outstanding.

Sidecut" at the four seasons was good. The appetizers were absolutely out-freaking standing. Desserts were also outstanding. The steak was good, but not quite as good as advertised. If your GF likes mixed drinks, I do not believe you will find better mixed drinks anywhere. Drinks are pricey however.

The Brew House was probably MY favorite. Not really high zoot, but they have 6 or 7 house-brewed beers on tap at any given time. Not very pricey either (comparatively speaking).

Sushi Village was the best Sushi I've ever had. A few of the people working at Whistler recommended this place to us. You really can't go wrong with seafood in BC I think. About the same price as sushi here locally, but way better.

Splitz was another place we went. Worth a trip but no beer on draft, which is a problem for me.
  • 08-03-2012
    fgiraffe
    Excellent, thanks!
  • 08-08-2012
    B-Mac
    BTW: Wife and I finally bought a computer that was designed an manufactured in this decade, so editing the videos at home this time. Hopefully will do a better job with the edits. Still all first person, mostly because I was riding along all the time but also because I don't like to interrupt the ride all the time to stop & video.
  • 01-01-2013
    GoingOffRoading
    Sweet thread, thanks everybody for really good feedback

I'm planning a trip for early August... Just before Crankworx...Still not sure if I am going to drive or fly (I'm in Northern California).

Did anybody consider getting extensions on their health insurance to cover them in BC? I'd hate to have a crash with a $1000+ bill if I can avoid the cost with a small fee.

Also, did anybody consider getting travelers insurance or etc in case their bike or luggage gets lost/stolen?
  • 01-02-2013
    Falling
    Insurance
    I think it is a pretty good idea to get supplemental trip insurance. I've used Insuremytrip.com for a recent trip to Whistler and one to Peru. For two of us it was $350 for a 20 day trip to Peru. The website asks you to put in your info and what you are expecting then it bids it out to other insurance places. Ours wound up being through American Express. But we were able pick between different companies.

It covered:
    Flights
    Delays
    Cancellations
    Evacuations
    Hospital Stays
    Lost baggage- Did not cover damage to bikes caused by operator error :madman:

We are headed back to Whistler this summer, I plan on using them again to pick supplemental insurance.
  • 01-02-2013
    mbell
    Make sure that any trip insurance will cover extreme sports. I'm pretty positive that this may be an exclusion for coverage.

If you already have insurance, your provider will reimburse you for your medical bills when traveling abroad. Contact them and inquire.
  • 01-05-2013
    keepbalanced
    my friends wennt to whistler last year and had such a good time, I hope to go when the snow melts
  • 01-05-2013
    tuumbaq
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keepbalanced View Post
    my friends wennt to whistler last year and had such a good time, I hope to go when the snow melts

Why wait the snow is AWESOME right now :thumbsup:
  • 01-07-2013
    cgjeff
    Great thread with some good info.

Heading up mid June for 4 night with our high school club.... can't wait!!
  • 01-11-2013
    DTrepanier
    Need to go there, this place is amazing. BTW, heard that British Columbia has the most trails in the world per capita.
  • 01-11-2013
    keepbalanced
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post
    Why wait the snow is AWESOME right now :thumbsup:

haha very true! I hear its a great place to go ski / board, if only money grew on the tree in the back yard!
  • 01-14-2013
    B-Mac
    After the trip this summer, all Mrs. B-Mac & I talk about is how we'd buy a condo there in a heartbeat if we were "Paris Hilton Rich." I'd love to spend some time up there in the winter re-learning to ski & then shred Whistler and Squamish all summer.

Where's my damn lottery check???
  • 01-15-2013
    delirian
    ha ha ha...
    thats how i survive long boring days in work... dreaming of whistler lol... everytime the euro lottery goes big. we do a little syndicate, the question always gets asked, what would you do if we won, hmmmmmm let me think, ha ha yep thats it house in whistler ha ha.
  • 01-15-2013
    cgjeff
    Booked our house... 10 of us going up mid June!! First time for all of us. :thumbsup:
  • 01-15-2013
    keepbalanced
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    ha ha ha...
    thats how i survive long boring days in work... dreaming of whistler lol... everytime the euro lottery goes big. we do a little syndicate, the question always gets asked, what would you do if we won, hmmmmmm let me think, ha ha yep thats it house in whistler ha ha.

When you win the lotto maybe I can rent a room at your new mansion ;)
  • 01-16-2013
    delirian
    Quote:

When you win the lotto maybe I can rent a room at your new mansion ;)

ha ha ha...
    bro im not about proffit or making money. if i dropped the lotto and was living out there, you could stay for free mate.
  • 01-16-2013
    delirian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjeff View Post
    Booked our house... 10 of us going up mid June!! First time for all of us. :thumbsup:

when are you going exactly. we are gonna be there the last 2 weeks of june, if you wanted some one to show you round.
  • 01-16-2013
    keepbalanced
    Quote:

Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    ha ha ha...
    bro im not about proffit or making money. if i dropped the lotto and was living out there, you could stay for free mate.

that would be awesome, i'm pulling for you to win the lotto! you can do it!
  • 01-17-2013
    delirian
    Quote:

that would be awesome, i'm pulling for you to win the lotto! you can do it!

h ha ha,,, looks like i better run out and grab a ticket then. :D
  • 01-17-2013
    keepbalanced
    I feel like you kind of owe it to both of us to go buy one! lol