Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 149
  1. #101
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by DHexplorer View Post
    Has anyone ever driven over the border?
    nope, no one drives over the border... thats just not how its done.

    (you just need a pass port)

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    nope, no one drives over the border... thats just not how its done.

    (you just need a pass port)
    Riding over the border and all the way to Whistler is much more hardcore, guess ill have to try that since no one drives.

  3. #103
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    674
    Would crank worx be a stupid time for my first trip? Taking the wife who rides but isn't into park riding everyday for a week... Unlike me

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    805
    You also need to declare and/or have receipts for anything of value you are bringing with you. You might need to prove where you bought something like a camera or laptop. Probably more relevant for us Canadians going into the States as we are more likely to buy stuff in the States (as it is much cheaper!)

    Buzz

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    182
    I was planning on going in August, but I see crankworx is going on in the middle of the month. Do they close down a bunch of the trails during the event? Is it worth going during that time, or should I go after? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the chance to watch the pros, but this is my first trip to "THE PARK", and I don't want to waste ride time.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    91
    My buddies and I have gone 7 yrs straight and our worst trip was when we went right after Cranworx. We usually planned our trips in late July but that was when they changed Crankworx from August to July. We got there a week maybe two after the festival and the trails were beat up. It still kicked ass over anything we have in Utah or the US for that matter.
    Honestly it will be a great time whenever you go. It's hard not to have a good time. This year were heading up mid September for a week.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    329
    we have gone after the last two years. never gone during. everything i've heard is don't go during if you really want to just ride. huge crowds and huge lines. an instructor told me a few dudes paid for lessons just to skip the lines.

    pv

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    751
    Quick update . . .

    I still have my job so the trip is still on! That was in question for a while there unfortunately.

    Still waiting on my passport to arrive. The Dept. of State was unhappy with the birth certificate copy I originally provided so I had to send a better copy. I live in Ohio but was born in FL, so if they're still not happy I'm in trouble. The new copy I sent them had the raised certification they griped that the old copy lacked, so pretty sure I'm good now. Waiting in line to apply for the passport was a new definition of hell. A ton of people packed into an unventilated hallway (although the girl in front of me was really hot).

    I still have not procured a box for the bike. I've been eyeing those crateworks boxes. I'll probably end up going that way but GODDAMN it sticks in my craw to pay $220 for a corrugated plastic box that I might use twice. The cardboard one is still north of $150!! Good gig if you can get it I guess.

    Wound up going with a 3c DHR 2 for the front end and a maxxpro highroller 2 for the back. Bringing a maxxpro DHR 2 and a maxxpro DHF 2.7 as backup. If you have not tried a DHR 2 yet - esp on the front, Urge you to give it a shot. Side lugs are more or less same as DHF, but bigger. The tire's a fargin' beast in the corners.

    Replaced my old avid code's with 2012 codes last fall. Trimmed the hoses & bled over the winter, only to discover that the front master cylinder was blown. Courtesy of Avid there's a shiny new code on the front now - props to Mark at Universal Cycles for (1) taking the time to listen to me & not just assuming I don't know what I'm talking about and (2) hooking up the warranty claim.

    Can't wait!!!!
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  9. #109
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    690
    You'll love the minions up there and great idea bringing the spare set. You don't want to pay retail in the village (~$100).

    Aww, B-Mac -- I envy you. Whistler-virgin. You are going to have your mind totally blown! Have a great trip, bro!

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,537
    bmac,,,,,

    there's no point spending 250 bucks on a plastic box if you only intend to use it twice,,, you might as well get a bike box free of charge from your local bike shop. and go mad with the ductape to strenghen it, that 250 bucks you save will then cover your lift pass.

    trek bike boxes seem to be one of the best,,, they seem to be a bit stronger than regular boxes...

  11. #111
    Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Reputation: fgiraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    833
    You also need to declare and/or have receipts for anything of value you are bringing with you
    So in other words: bring a receipt for your bike? Hmm never thought about that, I've only crossed the US-CAN border on business travel so I wasn't really carrying anything of note.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruppguts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    458
    I've crossed from the states a few times and never needed any receipts. Just have your credentials ready. My buddy left his in the back of the truck when we hit the border and we ended up inside the building getting a shakedown for about a half hour.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    bmac,,,,,

    there's no point spending 250 bucks on a plastic box if you only intend to use it twice,,, you might as well get a bike box free of charge from your local bike shop. and go mad with the ductape to strenghen it, that 250 bucks you save will then cover your lift pass.

    trek bike boxes seem to be one of the best,,, they seem to be a bit stronger than regular boxes...
    I absolutely agree with you on this point, however the trigger has been pulled, rendering this a purely academic discussion. My wife ordered the crateworks box yesterday.

    I seriously considered just getting a bike box. My major concern is this: I can never replace my bike (well, frame) if it is seriously damaged in transit. Turner doesn't make the highline any more & very few XL highlines were ever made, so the possibility of replacing a frame is more or less nil. Realize that Turner has good CS & repairs can be made, but if something happens on the trip out, I'm stuck renting. The plastic box is not great, but definitely more burly than a box designed for a single use & comes with foam bits for the frame & space for the wheels.

    So, weighed the pros and cons & my paranoia won the day. It usually does.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    You'll love the minions up there and great idea bringing the spare set. You don't want to pay retail in the village (~$100).

    Aww, B-Mac -- I envy you. Whistler-virgin. You are going to have your mind totally blown! Have a great trip, bro!
    Haha! Appreciate it. Absolutely can't wait.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    "It looks flexy"

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    I absolutely agree with you on this point, however the trigger has been pulled, rendering this a purely academic discussion. My wife ordered the crateworks box yesterday.

    I seriously considered just getting a bike box. My major concern is this: I can never replace my bike (well, frame) if it is seriously damaged in transit. Turner doesn't make the highline any more & very few XL highlines were ever made, so the possibility of replacing a frame is more or less nil. Realize that Turner has good CS & repairs can be made, but if something happens on the trip out, I'm stuck renting. The plastic box is not great, but definitely more burly than a box designed for a single use & comes with foam bits for the frame & space for the wheels.

    So, weighed the pros and cons & my paranoia won the day. It usually does.
    i understand your point and concerns,,,, on my first few trips i used one of them crappy polaris bags, i pipe lagged my frame using the foam pipe lagging that you use to insulate pipes. also used knee and elbow pads for extra protection, bike survived no problem. the only things we have had had damaged are one brake leaver/master cylinder. 2 mechs, 1 mech hanger (snapped off at the bolt) all these could have easily been prevented by removing said items. so now everytime we fly we remove the rear mechs, and brake levers.
    good luck with your new case,,,, enjoy your trip whistler rocks your gonna love it....
    when do you go... we fly out in a coupple of weeks, (16th june)

  17. #117
    Ancient Chinese Secret
    Reputation: Swell Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    That suggestion above about packing gear and armour with the bike is fantastic. I've been wondering how I'm going to get my gear there.
    You might need to do the opposite. If a bag/box exceeds 50 lbs, most airlines charge you a surcharge. Might be better to pack the bike box as light as possible to keep under the 50 lbs and simply pack and pay for a second bag.

  18. #118
    Ancient Chinese Secret
    Reputation: Swell Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Would crank worx be a stupid time for my first trip? Taking the wife who rides but isn't into park riding everyday for a week... Unlike me
    Crankworx is fun, but the races do close down some of the trails. I've overlapped with Crankworx, but the inconvenience of having parts of Aline and Dirt Merchant closed was a pain. I'm glad I went during Crankworx at least once, but probably would not do so again.

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    751

    Official Trip Report (long post . . . )

    Trip went off as planned. Rode 4 of the 7 days. Got back last Saturday 7/28. Remaining 3 were spent hanging with my wife, climbing things or packing to leave. Some observations in no particular order:

    (1) The riding there is so freakin' good as to be nearly indescribable. You really just need to go there and experience it.

    (2) My skill level is not where I'd hoped it was. Accordingly, I will not be posting video of my hackish A-Line attempts (you're SUPPOSED to land on top of the tables, right??). I think if I work hard on my jumping skills over the winter & next season, I could possibly pull off the majority of this trail next time we go. Seems like I lacked the core strength necessary to hit the big jumps with sufficient speed to get to the tranny. You g-out so hard that your form & timing go all to hell & then you're completely sketched out in the air. Or worse. This was getting significantly better in the one week I was there, but a week was not really enough time to work up to the bigger lips.

    (3) Everything is one hell of a lot bigger/steeper than it looks on YouTube. Yah, I'll ride "Fade to Black" my first time at a real DH park. Shuuuurrrre. My initial goals proved to be slightly too ambitious, but are forgiveable considering the state of ignorance in which they were announced.

    (4) "Crank it up" is possibly the most fun I've ever had. Never popped off the far side of a wall ride & landed on a transition before. Never hit a step-up that big before. I got pretty comfortable on this trail & was clearing all the tables MOST of the time. Blue Velvet is probably number 2 on my list of "cool-ass stuff that I was actually able to ride cleanly most of the time." Although there were some tables on Blue Velvet I never got over b/c didn't go up to Garbanzo as many times as the fitsimmons lift.

    (5) No one was a dick to me the whole week, despite my obvious newbie status. Everyone's actually pretty cool. Then again, I went out of the way to move to the side when faster guys came up behind me & otherwise not be a nuisance to the faster guys. Still, everyone's pretty laid back & cool there.

    (6) I took a lesson with one of the instructors on the first day. It was a group lesson, but I happened to be the only person in the group. Learned that I was preloading all wrong, which was why I was having a problem with getting bucked on the steeper lips. Lesson was worth every penny. I'd STRONGLY urge other newbs like me to do the same.

    (7) I'd wondered if the steeper sections of Moraine State Park in PA would be a warm-up for Whistler. They definitely are. Good to learn how to commit to steep & sketchy stuff when everything's all slick before you attempt Whistler. Found myself comparing several trail sections to Moraine more than once.

    (8) The food is almost worth the trip by itself. My wife and I dropped a decent chunk of change on high-zoot restaurants while were there. Local sushi has been permanently ruined for me after eating the locally caught tuna at whistler.

    (9) The stupid crateworks box actually worked pretty well. No real issues with it whatsoever. Still think it should cost less.

    (10) Very weird to ride in a place where rain is GOOD and dry is BAD. Pretty much the opposite in OH & PA. The soil there gets grippier in the wet vs. turning into peanut butter like it does here.

    (11) This trip has confirmed my opinion that the maxxis DHR II is the the best front tire ever made. The thing just gripped and gripped, even when the bike was leaned way over in the breaking bumps. 4 days at Whistler & it's showing some considerable wear however. The breaking lugs on my high roller II on the back got shredded - a phenomena possibly exacerbated by my overuse of the brakes?? My rear brake pads only lasted 2 days LOL.

    (12) Body armour is good. Think I'd have broken my elbow but for my pads. Think I almost broke something in my left hand. My armour suit, a 661 vapor suit, was too hot though & got left in the hotel room the whole time. Rode with just knees, elbows and a full face the majority of the time.

    (13) For some reason, you just don't get tired as fast there. I'd usually call it a day because Jen was waiting for me for dinner rather than being too tired to go up again. This was true even after a couple of runs down from Garbanzo, which took me forever. Locally, 4 hours or so of the short runs around here tire me out but I felt like I could ride forever there. Adrenaline?? Dunno, but loved it.

    (14) My helmet finally gained some character after biffing off a tree in karate monkey. You really have to be careful where your back wheel locks up - funny things can happen LOL. Oh, and wood bridges are slippery.

    (15) Almost everyone who works there & a lot of the people who ride there are either from the UK or Australia. You actually begin using various UK-isms before you leave to avoid sounding awkward.

    (16) Lastly - I could have hit the container jump on freight train but chickened. I stopped to look at it & watched a few guys go over it & knew I could ride it. I was up there alone on my last day, starting a new job 2 weeks after I get back & just decided it wasn't worth the risk. Really regretting that now. Puss.

    Thanks a ton to the folks who have contributed to this thread. I used a lot of your advice & it helped me to be less freaked out about riding there alone, which I was most of the time. I'm planning to post an edited video as soon as I get it done. My raw clips are in the process of uploading and can be viewed at my youtube channel if you're so inclined.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Trip went off as planned. Rode 4 of the 7 days. Got back last Saturday 7/28. Remaining 3 were spent hanging with my wife, climbing things or packing to leave. Some observations in no particular order:

    (1) The riding there is so freakin' good as to be nearly indescribable. You really just need to go there and experience it.

    (2) My skill level is not where I'd hoped it was. Accordingly, I will not be posting video of my hackish A-Line attempts (you're SUPPOSED to land on top of the tables, right??). I think if I work hard on my jumping skills over the winter & next season, I could possibly pull off the majority of this trail next time we go. Seems like I lacked the core strength necessary to hit the big jumps with sufficient speed to get to the tranny. You g-out so hard that your form & timing go all to hell & then you're completely sketched out in the air. Or worse. This was getting significantly better in the one week I was there, but a week was not really enough time to work up to the bigger lips.

    (3) Everything is one hell of a lot bigger/steeper than it looks on YouTube. Yah, I'll ride "Fade to Black" my first time at a real DH park. Shuuuurrrre. My initial goals proved to be slightly too ambitious, but are forgiveable considering the state of ignorance in which they were announced.

    (4) "Crank it up" is possibly the most fun I've ever had. Never popped off the far side of a wall ride & landed on a transition before. Never hit a step-up that big before. I got pretty comfortable on this trail & was clearing all the tables MOST of the time. Blue Velvet is probably number 2 on my list of "cool-ass stuff that I was actually able to ride cleanly most of the time." Although there were some tables on Blue Velvet I never got over b/c didn't go up to Garbanzo as many times as the fitsimmons lift.

    (5) No one was a dick to me the whole week, despite my obvious newbie status. Everyone's actually pretty cool. Then again, I went out of the way to move to the side when faster guys came up behind me & otherwise not be a nuisance to the faster guys. Still, everyone's pretty laid back & cool there.

    (6) I took a lesson with one of the instructors on the first day. It was a group lesson, but I happened to be the only person in the group. Learned that I was preloading all wrong, which was why I was having a problem with getting bucked on the steeper lips. Lesson was worth every penny. I'd STRONGLY urge other newbs like me to do the same.

    (7) I'd wondered if the steeper sections of Moraine State Park in PA would be a warm-up for Whistler. They definitely are. Good to learn how to commit to steep & sketchy stuff when everything's all slick before you attempt Whistler. Found myself comparing several trail sections to Moraine more than once.

    (8) The food is almost worth the trip by itself. My wife and I dropped a decent chunk of change on high-zoot restaurants while were there. Local sushi has been permanently ruined for me after eating the locally caught tuna at whistler.

    (9) The stupid crateworks box actually worked pretty well. No real issues with it whatsoever. Still think it should cost less.

    (10) Very weird to ride in a place where rain is GOOD and dry is BAD. Pretty much the opposite in OH & PA. The soil there gets grippier in the wet vs. turning into peanut butter like it does here.

    (11) This trip has confirmed my opinion that the maxxis DHR II is the the best front tire ever made. The thing just gripped and gripped, even when the bike was leaned way over in the breaking bumps. 4 days at Whistler & it's showing some considerable wear however. The breaking lugs on my high roller II on the back got shredded - a phenomena possibly exacerbated by my overuse of the brakes?? My rear brake pads only lasted 2 days LOL.

    (12) Body armour is good. Think I'd have broken my elbow but for my pads. Think I almost broke something in my left hand. My armour suit, a 661 vapor suit, was too hot though & got left in the hotel room the whole time. Rode with just knees, elbows and a full face the majority of the time.

    (13) For some reason, you just don't get tired as fast there. I'd usually call it a day because Jen was waiting for me for dinner rather than being too tired to go up again. This was true even after a couple of runs down from Garbanzo, which took me forever. Locally, 4 hours or so of the short runs around here tire me out but I felt like I could ride forever there. Adrenaline?? Dunno, but loved it.

    (14) My helmet finally gained some character after biffing off a tree in karate monkey. You really have to be careful where your back wheel locks up - funny things can happen LOL. Oh, and wood bridges are slippery.

    (15) Almost everyone who works there & a lot of the people who ride there are either from the UK or Australia. You actually begin using various UK-isms before you leave to avoid sounding awkward.

    (16) Lastly - I could have hit the container jump on freight train but chickened. I stopped to look at it & watched a few guys go over it & knew I could ride it. I was up there alone on my last day, starting a new job 2 weeks after I get back & just decided it wasn't worth the risk. Really regretting that now. Puss.

    Thanks a ton to the folks who have contributed to this thread. I used a lot of your advice & it helped me to be less freaked out about riding there alone, which I was most of the time. I'm planning to post an edited video as soon as I get it done. My raw clips are in the process of uploading and can be viewed at my youtube channel if you're so inclined.
    Great comments. I'm pretty much in the same boat having only gone 2 days in 2010, 0 days in 2011, and 2 days so far this year. That last lip on Freight Train bugs me as I almost went over the bars one run and there's one particular one on A-line. I sure love riding Blue Velvet/Freight Train or Freight Train top to bottom. It'll be even cooler when they have Blue Velvet all the way to Crank it Up.
    Last edited by gticlay; 07-31-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Oops, should have said 0 times in 2011, not 2012.
    "It looks flexy"

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Regarding receipts: Americans don't need receipts for bringing stuff to Canada. Only Canadians do.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    Great comments. I'm pretty much in the same boat having only gone 2 days in 2010, 0 days in 2012, and 2 days so far this year. That last lip on Freight Train bugs me as I almost went over the bars one run and there's one particular one on A-line. I sure love riding Blue Velvet/Freight Train or Freight Train top to bottom. It'll be even cooler when they have Blue Velvet all the way to Crank it Up.
    My trail map had the proposed extension. That will be a great run when its done. Really loved Blue Velvet.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  23. #123
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,589
    Wow - what an awesome time you had. Congrats on timing such great weather and glad the trails treated you well. Trails have been prime shape the past few weeks.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  24. #124
    Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Reputation: fgiraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    833
    Very nice writeup, thanks. Sounds like you had a blast.
    If you recall the $$$ places you ate, post them. Might help convince the gf it is worth _her_ time to go with me.

  25. #125
    Committed
    Reputation: 1soulrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    (16) Lastly - I could have hit the container jump on freight train but chickened. I stopped to look at it & watched a few guys go over it & knew I could ride it. I was up there alone on my last day, starting a new job 2 weeks after I get back & just decided it wasn't worth the risk. Really regretting that now. Puss.
    That jump is not very difficult, but can be intimidating. The lip is pretty steep but there is really no big penalty for a mistake. Just got back from Whistler a week ago so I thought I'd share this to encourage you to go back soon and hit that jump.




Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •