Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Because our beer has alcohol in it and actually tastes like water?

Buzz
    There, fixed it for ya Just kiddin'...

mtbr member
    DO NOT FORGET BLUE VELVET! it's a fun fast flowy trail then you can continue to new joke then to freight-train! get there by going up garbanzo lift.. so much fun! take it easy the first day or two.. i was there all season last year and a lot of people get crazy first day (or two) and get trucked down the mountain via ambulance. -g
    My Current Stable:
    Yeti 303 RDH | Yeti 575 | Yeti dirtjumper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gage View Post
    DO NOT FORGET BLUE VELVET! it's a fun fast flowy trail then you can continue to new joke then to freight-train! get there by going up garbanzo lift.. so much fun! take it easy the first day or two.. i was there all season last year and a lot of people get crazy first day (or two) and get trucked down the mountain via ambulance. -g
    Definitely hear ya. Planning to take it slow. I have no desire to break bones. Hope I manage to up my game, hopefully to fade to black levels, but coming home in one piece is always the goal.

Spent about 8 weeks on the couch nursing 3 broken ribs & eating painkillers like candy in summer of 2009. Don't want to repeat that.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Definitely hear ya. Planning to take it slow. I have no desire to break bones. Hope I manage to up my game, hopefully to fade to black levels, but coming home in one piece is always the goal.

Spent about 8 weeks on the couch nursing 3 broken ribs & eating painkillers like candy in summer of 2009. Don't want to repeat that.
    best way to up your game and improve, and gain the confidence and techniques for fade to black, will be to take some tuition/coaching while you are there....

as for broken bones, painkillers slow down the bodies ability to heal,,, so the broken bones would take longer to heal... it's better to live with the pain if you can,,, cut out alcohol smoking and fatty foods. eat lots of fresh fruits veg and fish,,, calcium and vitamins, and the body will heal quicker....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    VRBO for a condo... they can be cheap as its not skiing season and even a busy bike park day is nothing compared to ski season...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    foooooook yeah!!!!!!!!
    we were lucky enough to get the peak chair up and ride down off the back of the mountain, highway99 into khybers.... it was one of the best rides ive done... so this will be awesome if they goahead with them plans,,,,

brake later, pedal sooner
    wooooooo hoooooo... my mom has a timeshare that shes not using.. i plan on going to whistler august 25th to september 1st...

now to read up on this thread and figure out some logistics... and to stay injury free so i can ride then!

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm going to score one of the corrugated plastic boxes from crateworks. Can't seem to beg one locally & $400-$500 is too freakin expensive. Also not paying $140 for a crateworks cardboard box (sheesh!).

On the bright side, my CCDB arrived & bolted on with zero fuss. Planning a trip to a local XC spot that has a "downhill trail" (vulture's knob) to begin dialing in the shock. No respectable downhill there, but there's a few rock obstacles designed to be taken at speed & some steep bermy sections. I was worried at first that a 550# spring would be a little soft, but so far it seems fine. I'm 6'5", 240# with gear.

Planning on "renting" a guide/taking a clinic/whatever you call it my first day there. Might be good from a "not getting lost" perspective. I don't want to wind up lost & take a trail that I can't handle for the sake of getting down the hill. Also looking forward to hitting the alpine style trail I posted the video for above. I've never ridden anything with scenery like that!!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Shot this for a PBike article but it shows more of the trail that you'll be riding than the promo video from Whistler.

Have fun! It's well worth it.

As for a clinic ask for Mike Johnstone from WBP and don't break anything
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Just got back from there last week...er wrong season though.

Only advice I can give is to get a burger at Splitz. Make sure to get the Splitz sauce.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Love the idea of riding from the peak, but there's gotta be some steeper trails coming down from there. So far from the videos it seems like a mix of DH/AM riding.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Love the idea of riding from the peak, but there's gotta be some steeper trails coming down from there. So far from the videos it seems like a mix of DH/AM riding.
    There's steeper trails. Some I can show. Some I can't. Here's one that's well known but bear in mind it was shot with a GoPro chesty which makes everything look flat. I also wore an xc lid and no goggles which, as everyone knows, makes trails look flat (sarcasm intended - been reading pinkbike too much).

if you want more trail suggestions get this book =

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    There's steeper trails. Some I can show. Some I can't. Here's one that's well known but bear in mind it was shot with a GoPro chesty which makes everything look flat. I also wore an xc lid and no goggles which, as everyone knows, makes trails look flat (sarcasm intended - been reading pinkbike too much).

if you want more trail suggestions get this book =

Thanks for posting those vids! "Ride Don't Slide" looks alot like some of the trails I hit in PA, but waaay longer.

You're an instructor at Whistler? If so, PM me your name & I'll request you when I'm there. Rather have my tip $'s go to someone I'm familiar with.

DH season hasn't started here yet due to the ground being too soggy. Can't wait to hit some drops. Not much besides XC riding available at the moment.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Shot this for a PBike article but it shows more of the trail that you'll be riding than the promo video from Whistler.
    Feel bad for those dudes on their big bikes on Khyber, BBB and Tunnel Vision! I made that mistake once and it sucked.....especially if you're pedaling back after beers and buckets of bones at Dusty's!

I'm conflicted about the new stuff up top because I think we'll now see folks on RDS and Khyber who won't have a clue. I'm sure we'll see guys without packs/tools or in way over their heads.

EB

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Planning on "renting" a guide/taking a clinic/whatever you call it my first day there. Might be good from a "not getting lost" perspective. I don't want to wind up lost & take a trail that I can't handle for the sake of getting down the hill. Also looking forward to hitting the alpine style trail I posted the video for above. I've never ridden anything with scenery like that!!

don't have to worry about getting lost or ending up on a trail over your head. pretty clearly marked. get a trail map and just go check it out. i would suggest taking lessons the second day, give yourself a day of exploring and use to the terrain.

pv

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for posting those vids! "Ride Don't Slide" looks alot like some of the trails I hit in PA, but waaay longer.

You're an instructor at Whistler? If so, PM me your name & I'll request you when I'm there. Rather have my tip $'s go to someone I'm familiar with.
    Nope. I know a lot of the WBP management and get to ride a lot of the stuff there for media - related gigs (eg the Bandit Review or writing an article about the Instructor training program etc)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure if this was mentioned as I have not read through the whole post.........some of the shops in Vancouver have 40% off cards for rentals at the demo center to try a bike and the more days you rent in a row the cheaper it is. So you could save a ton of money if you can find a shop to hook you up with a discount card. Maybe call around before you heasd out and see who could possibly give you one if you buy something from them. With the money you would save you could more then afford to buy something.

The bonus side of renting is if anything breaks you bring the bike in and they fix it with no cost to you. Insurance is $25 a day with a max of $50 for 2+ days so a week rental should still be $50 for insurance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I took this camp last year as well. It was pretty cool and came with free lunch and was a all day course. Not sure yet on the dates for 2012 but it may be something to look into.

Richie Schley Mountain Bike Adventures at Whistler Bike Park

mtbr member
    Weather has turned decent here in the past few days so I've been getting a few test rides in on the highline. Made some changes over the winter, including:

(1) Zocchi roco to CCDB, also reduced spring from 650 to 550 (had the 650 when I bought it). I was having severe issues with the bike trying to buck me on steep lips last year, think the spring was too big for me. Also really don't have much of a clue what kind of shape/tune the roco was in.

(2) 70mm stem replaced with a 50mm stem. So far love this change, bike feels great.

(3) Some minor drivetrain tweaks - went to short cage RD, replaced 11-34 cassette with 11-23. Removed a bunch of chain links.

Need to get the bike on a hill to get a feel for the rear shock, but so far it fees great with the reduced spring weight on the CCDB. Hoping the smaller spring + the greater tuneability of the CCDB solves the bucking issue. I was doing some wheelie drops, maybe around 18", off my deck last night & initial impressions are positive. The new shock seems to be plusher, but has a better platform. The roco that it replaced was pushed, and the previous owner was a bit of a hucker, so really not sure what I was dealing with previously.

Also need to get to work & quit thinking about biking!!

Cheers & have a good SPD!

mtbr member
    The bucking that you speak off sounds like not enough high speed rebound. You should be able to dial it in with the HSR on the CCDB. Switching to a CCDB often means dropping 50-100lbs of spring weight as well, so it sounds like you are on the right track.
    My wife has been riding her Highline at Whistler for the past few years and loves it. It handles the park well, but is not a true DH sled. This year will be different though, as she will be piloting a Knolly Podium with a CCDB Air!

Good luck on your trip!

Buzz

mtbr member
    Wow - Passport application costs around $150.00!! For those of you who've said "The trip will cost more than you think it will," you're already correct.

@Buzz - Your wife's bike sounds pretty badazz! Thanks for the advice re: the HSC. It needs to quit raining for a while so I can tweak the new shock.

mtbr member
    Hey B-Mac,

No problem, hope the tip helps. Just to be clear it is HSR not HSC that you want to adjust for being bucked!
    $150 for a passport in the States? How long is that good for? Our Canadian ones are $75 and last 5 yrs (soon to be 10).

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Hey B-Mac,

No problem, hope the tip helps. Just to be clear it is HSR not HSC that you want to adjust for being bucked!
    $150 for a passport in the States? How long is that good for? Our Canadian ones are $75 and last 5 yrs (soon to be 10).

Buzz
    HSR - well I knew what you meant but was unable to type it it seems . . .

Pretty sure the passport is good for 10 years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone ever driven over the border? According to google maps, it is a 17 hour drive from me ( i have driven this much in one day before). Wondering if all i need is a passport or not. Thanks

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast