Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Yah, bet I'm going to be whupped. At the closest park to me, 7 Springs in PA, runs take 5-10 minutes and you drop around 400-500 feet. How long does a run last at whistler? 30 minutes??

Man - can't freaking wait!!!!

Need to quit thinking about it LOL.

That suggestion above about packing gear and armour with the bike is fantastic. I've been wondering how I'm going to get my gear there.

I'd rent an XC bike to check out some of the other trails if possible. Going to have to balance riding with keeping the wife happy. We're also planning to spend at least one day in Vancouver. I suggested that she rent a bike and spend some time on the green trails with me. My suggestion was rejected without adequate consideration. Maybe she'll change her mind when she sees the place.
    The green trails are super easy. Easy Does It is basically a logging road that you ride down. If she's at all comfortable on any bike she should be able to do greens.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I'd rent an XC bike to check out some of the other trails if possible. Going to have to balance riding with keeping the wife happy. We're also planning to spend at least one day in Vancouver. I suggested that she rent a bike and spend some time on the green trails with me. My suggestion was rejected without adequate consideration. Maybe she'll change her mind when she sees the place.
    I'd avoid shipping your bike, it can easily get stuck in customs. If you haven't booked your flight just check the baggage policies of the airlines which you're considering. Most of the big US carriers are prohibitively expensive for flying with a bike.

I rode Comfortably Numb on my Highline last trip, an XC bike would have probably been quicker though
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Already mentioned but there is so much more to Whistler than the lift served. Make sure you don't miss out on the other trails.
    +1.

Not that the dh park is a waste of time or anything, but if you're going to be there you'd be crazy to do a week of lift runs and not experience anything outside the park. Rent a 6 and 6 inch bike that pedals well take the lift all the way to the top and start pedaling into the backcountry. The "xc" there can be pretty burly at times so there is no need to worry abuot doing a xc ride and being bored.

Lost lake trails are also pretty fun and there's a lot of stuff around that area and they start right next to the parking lots at the bottom.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    All this talk about A-Line, nobody has even mentioned Dirt Merchant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^^This... Dirt Merchant is my all time favourite from the bike park... however, I've been away from the scene for a bit and things have changed a lot.

mtbr member
    Mrs. B-Mac's handling the travel arrangements, I'll have to follow up with the airline regarding transporting the bike. I've heard that you have the clean the heck out of the bike prior to transport to avoid any problems at customs.

Tickets are being bought today!! Need to work on getting my passport . . .

We're staying at one of the hotels in the village. We haven't had a vacation in a really long time, so we can afford to splurge a bit. The rooms all have kitchens, per one of the posters above.

Thinking I'm leaning more toward bringing the bike along on the plane (before investigating the cost LOL). The thought of my bike getting hung up at customs & not being able to do anything about it is pretty scary. Hope I can find someone local to hook me up with a travel case. Rather not spend the dough on that.

Hoping I hook up with another rider who's familiar with the park & can go along on some of the backcountry trails that you guys are talking about. Not sure how far off the beaten path I'm going to go if I'm alone all week - especially considering that the trails are probably pretty burley. I ride some decent stuff around here, but we don't have anything approaching the elevation changes that vancouver has.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

maker of trail
    I'm also heading out there this year (early june), for a friends wedding in vancouver.

I already told the wifey that we are bringing bikes, and there'll be a couple days on the shore, and a couple at whistler.

We're bringing bikes, was told its an extra $50 on air canada to bring bikes (its a domestic flight for us). I'm not too keen on renting, I know my bike and don't want the added weirdness of a new bike...

Pretty stoked (and a little scared)

mtbr member
    Just dont fly Delta, it was $150 each way. I know United is $100 each way for a bike, total weight with box has to be under 50lbs.

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    All this talk about A-Line, nobody has even mentioned Dirt Merchant.
    How about a "Dirty A" lap? Dirt Merchant to A-Line. There's some sweetness right there.

Thinking I'm leaning more toward bringing the bike along on the plane (before investigating the cost LOL). The thought of my bike getting hung up at customs & not being able to do anything about it is pretty scary. Hope I can find someone local to hook me up with a travel case. Rather not spend the dough on that.

Hoping I hook up with another rider who's familiar with the park & can go along on some of the trails that you guys are talking about. Not sure how far off the beaten path I'm going to go if I'm alone all week - especially considering that the trails are probably pretty burley. I ride some decent stuff around here, but we don't have anything approaching the elevation changes that vancouver has.
    For my last 4 visits I've carted my bike on the plane in a large bike box. Never had a single issue. Put most of my gear in there as well. Heck, last time the whole thing weighed 70 lbs! Of course I strategically lined the inside of the box with corrugated plastic. Works like a charm! or you could buy one of these from Crateworks. A little cheaper than a travel case.

Oh, maybe get a guide/instructor right at the lift ticket place for a half or whole day?? They can asses your skill level, give you some great instruction and show you the goods then point you in the right direction when you're done. They'll take care of you and you won't have to worry about getting in over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Just dont fly Delta, it was $150 each way. I know United is $100 each way for a bike, total weight with box has to be under 50lbs.
    Yeah, some of these guys really stick it to ya! I've flown Alaska Airlines and they only have charged $50 each way in the past. Hope they keep that pricing this summer as well!

Damn guys, now you're getting me all jacked up about my trip this summer!

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about the guide/instructor thing.

How much does the lift ticket cost?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you only have a week and you have your family with you, I sincerely doubt you'll get your fill of the park. It's that fun. I never made it out of the park until my 3rd trip there.

Bring spare brake pads, rear derailleur, rotors, etc. as Whistler eats bikes and stuff is expensive up there. Be prepared to have to spend money to fix something. When this happens, go to Fanatyk Co. They're pricey but they're good guys and will take care of you and your bike. I blew up a 66 last time I was there and they fixed it same day despite being super busy and also gave me discounted rate on renting a Knolly Podium while my bike was out of commission. If you decide to rent a bike, get it from them or Evolution as they keep their rental fleets in better shape than the park does.

Take a lesson. It will really help with the jump trails. The instructors are excellent.

And Freight Train (don't miss Drop In Clinic) - Dirt Merchant- Lower A-line/GLC FTW!

Though there is a lot to be said for Original Sin - Goat's Gully - In Deep - Fatcrobat - Too Tight - Schleyer - Lower Whistler DH. Too much fun to be had at WBP...

Boulder chucker

If I recall correctly, it was like around $60 for a full day and maybe $40 for what they call half day. The half day could be a good idea. It works from 3pm-until closing. Can't remember closing time but seems like it left you with around 4hrs or so of riding to be had. And at 3 the lift lines can be way shorter. Other added is a lot of people will tap out by then so it may be a little quieter on the trails too.

If you're going for multiple days you'll want to check into the "triple play" pass. It's a multi day ticket that offers savings vs. the daily rate. Start checking their website early spring because they have put them up for early bird sales.
    Last edited by bigwaved; 02-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did a trip throughout Europe, and brought my bike with me. Here is what you should do.

Go to your local bike shop and ask if they have a cardboard bike box you can have. They throw them out anyway, so they shouldn't charge you.

You are a mountain biker, so you should know how to take your bike apart. If not, learn. There is no need to pay some guy at the bike shop to do what you could with your own tools. Take the wheels and fork off. Tape the handlebars, with the brakes and shifters still connected, to the top tube. Take the rotors off the wheels and put them in your checked luggage. Wrap the fork in bubble wrap and put it in the box. Everything else will fit in just fine. If you want to be super anal about it, take everything off the bike and use one of the thick plastic bags that are usually left inside the bike box.

Bring the bike box with you and check it with the rest of your luggage. Sometimes the airline requires you to pay for this ahead of time online, other times you just pay at the counter. It should be around $50. You will have to retrieve your bike at the special/oversized luggage area.

It doesn't matter how dirty or clean the bike is. My bike was practically caked in mud, and customs didn't care one bit.

Do not put anything in the box that isn't a bike part. You aren't allowed to.
    Follow my mountain biking blog!

http://transientmtb.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Just remember the airline ad that bikes fly free is not exactly true. Most no longer charge extra because it is a bike but still charge the baggage fee, oversize baggage fee, and overweight fee.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    It needs some editing, but these are my favorite trails at Whistler:
    MobileMe Gallery

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

They have a website.

Lift Tickets Prices for Whistler Mountain Bike Park

This place needs an enema
    You guys are killin' me with talk of Whizzler already. It's MARCH 1st fergawdsakes!

Had to watch the vid I made from last year's trip to bring me back down.

Ridden/shot closing week of the '11 WBP season.

Only a few more months to go...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You guys are killin' me with talk of Whizzler already. It's MARCH 1st fergawdsakes!

Had to watch the vid I made from last year's trip to bring me back down.

Ridden/shot closing week of the '11 WBP season.

Only a few more months to go...
    Sincerely apologize if this is TMI, but I got a semi watching Mikesee's vid. Think that road gap might be a bit much for me, but I saw alot of stuff on that vid that I'm going to be hitting.

Tickets bought! Flying air canada, staying at the Sundial. Just me & Mrs. B-Mac, remainder of the family decided not to come after I laid out THE RULE: "You can come, but don't expect to see us."

In other news, I've been in the market to replace my zocchi roco, which erupted oil at the end of last season. Found a CCDB on the emptybeer classifieds & pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Sundial is sweet, right at the lift, secure bike storage, nice hottub on the roof.

mtbr member
    I'm following this thread intently as I'll be making my first trip to mtn bikings Mecca!

mtbr member
    Here is some footage I put together from our trip last July. Includes some North Van and Squamish too.
    -->

MTBR on Facebook