Thread: First Time

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

First Time

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Bi...untain-29-Inch

I really want to try this sport out. Will be riding at Mountain Creek Bike Park in NJ. Would this bike be good for a beginner? That is my absolute max for budget in regards to a bike.

perpetual pucker factor
    Welcome to the forums! So, your link doesn't work. But since it says 29er in the link text, I feel I can safely say that it isn't a downhill bike. Riding lifts and doing DH/bike park stuff is pretty demanding on a bike, and you're going to need a lot of suspension to do it properly. It's really fun, but it's also really expensive. New DH bikes can easily cost over $8000. But you can still get into it for relatively cheap, so don't worry too much.

First: price. Since you're just starting out and on a tight budget, you may want to have a look at some used full suspension bikes. Buying used may sound like a bad idea, but it isn't. Bikes lose a lot of their value when they are used, and that can work in your favor. A used bike that cost the original owner $1500 a few years ago might now be in your local classified ads for $500. As a general rule, if your budget is under $1000, you can get a FAR better used bike than you can a new bike. Better components, better suspension design, better everything.

Next, you're probably going to want a bike with 26" wheels. They're cheaper and stronger than 29er wheels. They're also the most common size of DH bike wheel. Second, you're going to need a full suspension bike. You can definitely ride a DH park on a front suspension bike, but it will beat you up as you get into the more technical terrain. Maybe look for a used Santa Cruz Bullit or something. It's been around forever, and it is a sweet bike to start out on. It is still considered a very good DH bike, and the older models are often very cheap in classified ads. Another option is the Kona Stinky. You could run the older models over with a tank and they'd be fine. I'm sure that with some effort, you can find a great bike to start out on.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's easy, just make sure you're lubed up really well and don't push! Let it slide in...

perpetual pucker factor
    oh geez... if i had been drinking anything, it wold have gone out my nose
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're trying out the park out for the first time rent a bike. That way if you don't like it there's no bike to sell.

Whatever you do read up on DH bikes and components so you know what you want.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Kona Stinky

Found this on craigslist. It's a Kona Stinky.

Does this look okay? Condition wise?

Also I'm between 5'8 and 5'9 145 lbs. What size of bike am I looking for and would the one in the craigslist ad I posted fit me?

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody

PS:

Santa Cruz Bullit Mountain Bike

I also found a Santa Cruz Bullit on Craigslist but the same guy has lowered it in the past week from 2500 to 600 to 350. I mean for 350 there has to be something wrong there right?

Team Livemedium
    the Santa Cruz looks stolen. Guy cant spell and nobody that knows about bikes would
    rest their rear shock directly on a bike rack. Tell the police.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.