mtbr member
    Oct 2010

First downhill bike Corsair?

So I am looking at getting my first downhill bike and I know a guy selling a Corsair Crown that's in my price range. I have seen good and bad reviews on this bike. The bike is setup and the suspension has been tuned. It hasn't been rode a lot and in good condition. What do you guys think of this bike and what would you pay for one that was in good shape and everything in perfect condition?
    2011 Giant Reign

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Crown is a solid bike with no major issues. Unlike the other pulley bikes, they seem to mostly just work. Zak on here rides one and put it through it's paces last season with no major issues. The bike is fast and stable and the dual-shock setup works nicely once setup. If you can pick it up cheap, I'd say go for it. I'm not sure what prices are like right now but I wouldn't pay more than 800 or so for a frame. Complete build value varies depending on quality of components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Crown doesn't have an idler wheel, you're thinking about the Maelstrom. My one issue with Corsair is getting parts, if you break anything. Sometimes Corsair has shipped me parts quickly and other times is taken months. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by rmk166
    The Crown doesn't have an idler wheel, you're thinking about the Maelstrom.
    Actually it does have an 11 tooth cog idler, for pedaling efficiency.

I've never touched a Crown (I rode a Maelstrom for a year) but I'm guessing the performance is there, so I'd say that if the price outweighs the potential pain that it can become to get replacement parts if they're ever needed - and that's also true for other brands, I can think of a couple other ones from the top of my head - go for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm riding a crown and am loving it. The bike just eats up square edges hits. I don't have too much time on it since last season i was sidelined with an ACL tear, so i can't comment on long term reliability, but my time on it this year has been nothing but smiles. Also, i have not heard one bad comment on the reliability. Since the idler is fixed and designed for single ring use you will not see the problems the maelstrom and marquee had. If you can get a good price you will not be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    I also love mine. I've had it for 6 mo and so far its been great. Unique design and lots of configuration options.

"walking on water is only knowing where the stones are"