mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First DH ride - Boxxer didn't use all travel

I got an Aurum 2 2012 and went for a first ride yesterday. Amazing ride btw Simply put, the fork feels too stiff, even with the compression wheel at its minimum. Can't get a good sag either.

Honestly I'm new to these kind of forks. What would I need to change to get all it's travel? Should I remove preload spacers (pinkbike review said they needed to do that)? Completely change coil spring weight?

My weight is 195lbs without gears. I don't know what coil spring I currently have in there (probably blue/firm tho).
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What is your sag percentage? You may want to remove some preload, but I wouldnt buy a new spring until you give it a few rides to get used to it. If this is your first DH bike, youre going to ride harder and use more travel every time you take it out.

Perpetual Hack
    How much travel did you use?
    What were you riding - ie gnar factor?

RS from my experience normally ship with the medium spring installed; however that is not to say that Norco did not spec the fork with the firm spring.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    How much travel did you use?
    What were you riding - ie gnar factor?

RS from my experience normally ship with the medium spring installed; however that is not to say that Norco did not spec the fork with the firm spring.

michael
    It's my first DH bike. Well let's say the highest I got in the whole ride was a distance of about 2 inches between rubber ring and crown. It was pretty much trails with roots, rocks, small jumps, 3 ft drops and medium hits.

And last time I did sag well it was very low. I don't remember exactly because I was already at lowest stiffness settingss but it was like 15-20%.

Would it be hard to open up spring side and remove a preload spacer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    find what spring you should have for your weight, and what spring is in there,,, if it is the correct spring then it could be as simple as removing a spacer,,, if its the wrong spring then obviously you will need to swap it,,,
    as for sag and settings thats a personal preferance,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would guess that it would have a Red (medium spring) as long as its a medium or large frame. I am having a similar issue with mine (R2c2). I am about 230 and run the medium (stock spring) and am getting only 7 inches of travel. I have both compression knobs as about 3 clicks and bottom out all the way down and it is stiffer than it should be @ my weight. Had a friend with the same issue you are having, his bike shop rebuilt his RC and the same issue remained. Ultimately he got a brand new R2C2 fork from Sram with the same issue.

mtbr member
    double-check the oil levels in the lowers.
    If they are good, just ride it and let it break in before spending any money on springs.

Finally stateside again
    it is because your fork is not broken in yet. the seals still have a lot of friction in them. its going to take a few rides to get it broken in then you should start noticing weather it is the spring which i doubt since you say you weigh 195

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Alright thanks for the help guys

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I don't know if it's just Boxxer's, but when I went for the first test ride on my 40 I immediately noticed it felt a lot more plush and seemed to use more travel just bouncing around.

The only time I ever remember using all the travel on the Boxxer was when I went OTB. Compression was messed up then though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Professional Troll
    A beginner rider riding beginner things, probably won't bottom the fork very often if at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    A beginner rider riding beginner things, probably won't bottom the fork very often if at all.
    This about sums it up.

Perpetual Hack
    Would tend to agree with the last two guys.
    If your just into roots, rocks and small drops at this point, your not really pushing into the envelope the fork was designed for.

I would however check the fluid levels. This is something I do with all new forks. All of the fork mfgs seem to have an issue from time to time of forks either over-filled, or under-filled. If it is over-filled, you may be experiencing hydro-lock; but I'm thinking your just not riding hard enough yet.

For comparison, on my 180mm 66 RC3 Ti, I don't get into full travel until I'm starting to build up a good head of steam. For the type of riding you describe I'm only using 5.5 inches or so. When really hauling the mail through the rough stuff, hitting 20 footers and 5+ drops, then I get into full travel.

So in short, check your spring, your fluid levels and if all is good ride that mother hard. Chances are when you start to push the fork as designed, it will give you full travel.

Keep us in the loop....

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd give it some time and some serious riding before you take out spacers.

After trying several other options, we took out two of the three spacers in my fork. While it did enable me to go through more travel, it also enabled the coil to reverberate in the stantion for any hit, drop, etc. It's unnerving to say the least. We added one spacer back in, but it still was less than ideal...still a wobbly feel. I wouldn't say this is the best option for long term performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree. Take a 10-15' drop and I bet your results will be different but still not bottom out.... When you grow into that advanced shock you will use it for what it's made for.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Alright thanks for the advices. I'm a noob I got it.