Thread: First dh bike

mtbr member
    May 2013

First dh bike

I'm thinking about getting a dh bike. I'm about 5' 11" and 170lbs. I'm an experienced Xc/trail rider. I currently ride a 2011 stumpjumper fsr comp. I'm not too familiar with dh bikes yet. I've been looking at the specialized status ll, mainly bc of it's cost. Is there any other good dh bikes in the $3,000-$3,500 range? I want a true 8in dh bike. Thanks.

I'm with stupid
    Advice I have always heard is get used for your first DH bike cause you are going to beat it up with crashes and shuttling. Then after you decide that DH is something you want to do a lot of then pick up a new fancy bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the advice! New or used I don't want to spend too much. I've been looking on Pinkbike for something used. It'd be real nice to find a status ll a year or two old for a couple grand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    you probably want to demo a few bikes first to see what really works for you. what one person likes isnt always good for the next. we are all differant and have varying tastes. i suppose it depends where you intend to ride, are you going mainly down hill, eg lift assited and shuttle. or would there be climbing and pedaling involved. some bikes pedal and climb better than others, where as some bikes are just designed to do down.
    do some research demo a few bikes then decide from there. second hand could be the way to go .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I will only be using this bike for dh otherwise I'd look into all mountain/trial bikes. I'd mainly ride at mountain creek NJ as well as some traveling around that area to other dh parks. I think mc only rents higher end bikes which would be out of my price range as far as a demo. Does anyone know of any events where I could demo a variety of dh bikes around NY/north jersey area? I'm no too picky with geometry and would be completely new to dh so I think I could get use to a wide variety of bikes. Thanks.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanryan View Post
    I will only be using this bike for dh otherwise I'd look into all mountain/trial bikes. I'd mainly ride at mountain creek NJ as well as some traveling around that area to other dh parks. I think mc only rents higher end bikes which would be out of my price range as far as a demo. Does anyone know of any events where I could demo a variety of dh bikes around NY/north jersey area? I'm no too picky with geometry and would be completely new to dh so I think I could get use to a wide variety of bikes. Thanks.
    Im from NJ and ride at creek VERY often , this is my 2nd year there . Ive gone thru a few bikes so far . You can rent the GT from Creek or stop up at Ridetopia and see what they have to rent .

Downhill is way different from any AM/XC , its great that you have some basic knowledge of riding but its totally different . I would suggest you rent a bike and hit up Creek before you decide you want to DH first . I would hit all the smooth jump line trails first and then head over to all the rocky nasty shIIt and hit too that . You will get a taste of what DH is like and then pick a bike depending on what style of trails you like ... Im more of a raw DH kind of guy and not big on jumps/drops and others are fan of the freeride aspect of DH.

The status is a great bike actually , for you i would pick up the lower end model and you could always upgrade it to better components once you get better . As someone thats just starting out you probably wont want to have the high end stuff and mess up your suspension setup and turn your ride into poo .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I understand the concern that I demo some bikes and I'll probably do that before spending a lot of money on one. I'm just trying to do my research and build my knowledge on dh bikes so that if the time comes that I decide to buy one I have an idea of the bikes that are out there and their price range. Thanks.

Uphill? What's that
    Giant Glory..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The glory looks like a real nice bike but is out of my price range unless there's a lower model that I'm missing.

RideDirt
    The glory 2 ... if you want a good deal PM ... I know a place that has a new and older glory for sale .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was originally only seeing the glory 0 for $6,200. Now I see there's a glory 2 for $3,200. That's right in my price range. Thanks.

build it up
    It would be a good idea to check craigslist from time to time, I've seen some killer deals come up on there.. In fact it's where I got my bike.
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been keeping an eye on there too. Thanks.

Radical Rookie
    RMB Flatline hehe
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

a dad
    Jan 2004
    you could probably get a specialized demo 1 for 3500, new.. maybe even a bit cheaper.. all bike shops (well, good ones) will work with you if you show up with cash..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin