Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Favorite Brakes for Downhill/Freeride

What is everyones favorite brake system for downhill?

What would you change to improve that system?

How would you guys feel about a brake system that came pre bled, and the rotors were already bed in? No break in period for the discs. Just bolt on and ride.

Also enough braking power to stop a motorcycle without the weight of a huge cast 4 piston caliper. Modulation and control that is on par with a Ducati race bike. We talking about super top secret, factory "works" type $hit.

What would you guys pay for a system like that?

eci
    hayes, reliability

but i do wish they had an open system the whole closed system kinda sux for bleeding.

tried shimano xt, didnt like them

maguras, ok easier to bleed full plastic was weird kinda flexy

mtbr member

2003/2004 Gustavs...

The early gustavs were quite good, but leaked a little bit around the reservoir. Then, they sucked with the radial msater in 2000/2001. However, the new Gustavs from last year onward are just freakin awesome.

Tons of power and modulation - true one finger braking. We just ordered 8 pairs of Gustavs and Louise FRs and we've had to bleed ONE front brake - the rest were just taken out of their boxes, mounted on the bars and off we went (they come pre-bled). They burnish in quick, and the 5 year leak warranty is pretty awesome, as is the cusomter support.

The test riders who have been trying them out (most are Hayes users with a few Shimano uses in the mix) have all been pretty impressed with the brakes. We've had a lot of un-solicited comments from test riders mentioning about how much they liked the Gustavs and the Louise FR brakes.

Just my opinion, and I'm definitely a Magura whore, but I think that they have a great product backed up by some of the nicest and most professional people in the bicycle business.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Authority is dead!

mmm

Grimeca system 8, 12, 17 (17=3 pots). Pads have little play in the caliper; nothing bad, but annoying.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I'd ride hopes again if I had the money. I ran them for 4 years with absolutely no problem. I ran the DH4s, and if I didn't sell the bike they were on, I'm sure I'd still use them today. They make some very good brakes, and they left absolutely nothing to be desired, at least compared to the latest hayes that I am using. The new M6Ti brakes look pretty good, and I dougt anyone is going to come out with anything that will give them a run for their money, much less be better. Just because a company makes brakes for one application doesn't mean they'll start sh*tting gold when they make them for mountain bikes.

I had some crappy gustavs. My friend bought new gustavs, they were still crappy. They could stop a train, and they felt good when working, but they were just not worth it, and due to the problems my friend had with brand new ones, it will be a long time before I ever consider magura again. My HS33s always had a minute leak that I could never track down. Good customer service..so-so product.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    If cost were no object I'd try out the new Hope 6-pot Ti DH brakes.
    But my Hayes Purple DHs w/ 8" rotors have been doing fine.
    Turn your head and cough.

Bighit Evangalest

Hayes

hayes HX9 HD.... sweeeeeeeet a$$ brakes.... 'nuff said...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    02 Magura Gustav's best power/modulation they rule so much! lol i had one mastercylinder go on me at the beginning of last season after spending the winter in my shed, i guess it didn't appreciate it but i got a waaaayy better 03 mastercylinder/brake lever system back on warrantee the ONLY problem i have with the gustav's is my front break drags, always has nomatter what but it's worth it saved me from hugging many a tree

mtbr member

Try these

I have Hayes Mag's 8" rotors and they do the trick !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socalfreerider

How would you guys feel about a brake system that came pre bled, and the rotors were already bed in? No break in period for the discs. Just bolt on and ride.

Also enough braking power to stop a motorcycle without the weight of a huge cast 4 piston caliper. Modulation and control that is on par with a Ducati race bike. We talking about super top secret, factory "works" type $hit.

Hayes hydros, 8" fr & rear - Goodridge brake lines - Razor rock levers - best setup I've ever used...

yours sounds too good to be true....

Hella Olde
    [QUOTE=socalfreerider]What is everyones favorite brake system for downhill?

mtbr member

So who do you work for? You plopped another hint the other day about som ebig brake company looking at moving into the US market, now you seem to be fishing for items to use for advertising......

As to your questions, I think my next set of Freeride/DH brakes are probably going to be Magura Gustav's. I tried them on Knolly's rig and they were perfect.

What would I change? I would dump m,y Hayes and switch to the Gustavs!

Pre-bled on arrival? That is a great idea if the lines were cut to length. Otherwise I will be cuttin em and re-bleeding them myself. A whole 5 minute job.

As for the Rotors, well I have never really had to spend a bunch of time bedding in the rotors. The pads however do require a little bit of coaxing.

As for braking performance, how about on par with a Honda race bike! They were passing the Ducks for most of last season in MotoGP!

How much to pay? If they were truly twice as good as the existing "best" system then I guess I would pay twice as much.

More competition in the disc brake arena is a great thing. Magura and Hope, and Avid have all recently stepped up their efforts, so bring another manufacture on board. Will only benefit us the consumer!

TJ

mtbr member

huh huh huh....

Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    The early gustavs were quite good, but leaked a little bit around the reservoir. Then, they sucked with the radial msater in 2000/2001. However, the new Gustavs from last year onward are just freakin awesome.

Tons of power and modulation - true one finger braking. We just ordered 8 pairs of Gustavs and Louise FRs and we've had to bleed ONE front brake - the rest were just taken out of their boxes, mounted on the bars and off we went (they come pre-bled). They burnish in quick, and the 5 year leak warranty is pretty awesome, as is the cusomter support.

The test riders who have been trying them out (most are Hayes users with a few Shimano uses in the mix) have all been pretty impressed with the brakes. We've had a lot of un-solicited comments from test riders mentioning about how much they liked the Gustavs and the Louise FR brakes.

Just my opinion, and I'm definitely a Magura whore, but I think that they have a great product backed up by some of the nicest and most professional people in the bicycle business.

He said whore.

;-)

TJ

large member
    What 006-007 said pretty much sums it up. So far for my criteria, reliability is tied for 1st place with power, followed by modulation, price, etc. So Hayes it is.

The ideal system would be as reliable as Hayes Mags (not the crappy 9s) and would have a bit more modulation, along the lines of Hopes. With 8" rotors, I don't think power is much of an issue anymore....

I wouldn't pay extra for pre-bled - all brakes seem to come that way except some of the Shimano's. And if you have to disconnect a line to run it thru a gusset or something, there goes the bleed anyway, or shortening a line. Bedding in the pads/rotors takes all of one DH run or 15 min. of dicking around in the parking lot doing stoppies, so I definitely wouldn't pay extra $$ for that, and I don't think anyone else would either.
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    HOPE

don't settle for anything less!!! ;o)

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    HOPE

don't settle for anything less!!! ;o)
    and they are ever soooo sexy lookin'

Dropmachine.com
    Jan 2004
    I run hayes mag plus with goodridge lines and custom levers, they feel really good. As for a new brake system, I would pay more but I don't think I would want or need more power in the brakes, never had a problem with not enough power before. I would be carefull too, if you remember way back when shimano developed there three pad 2 rotors water cooled system. Wildly powerfull, too much in fact, they were fliping people over the bars all over the place.
    Dropmachine.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dufault
    I run hayes mag plus with goodridge lines and custom levers, they feel really good. As for a new brake system, I would pay more but I don't think I would want or need more power in the brakes, never had a problem with not enough power before. I would be carefull too, if you remember way back when shimano developed there three pad 2 rotors water cooled system. Wildly powerfull, too much in fact, they were fliping people over the bars all over the place.

I had all but forgotten those shimano brakes. I heard rumors that the test riders used to intentionally contaminate the pads with oil so they were not so grabby......

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I will post some spy photos after Sea Otter.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DH40]

[SIZE=7]OWNED[/SIZE]
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    and they are ever soooo sexy lookin'
    I would LOVE to own some of those new Mono 4's ones, but I just upgraded to M4's late last year from DH04's - so I can't really justify getting those right now I knew I should of waited a bit...

oh well..I still love my M4's! Performance wise I'm sure they are on par - but I like the stealth look of the new Mono's!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Older XT

I rode Hopes for a while but they were inconsistent for me so I switched to Shimano XT 4-pistons with 8" Hayes rotors. They are easy to set up and maintain, perform consistently, and have great power and modulation. I agree with what that other guy said - with 8" rotors most of the brakes on the market have plenty of power. I also agree that with a good design, bleeding is not that tough and bedding in rotors and pads is not a big issue.

One thing I would like to see are standard lines like Goodridge - stainless for durability and no compression and reuseable hardware so if you need to replace a lever or switch 'em to a different bike you don't automatically also need new fittings. I'm considering dropping the cash on a set of Goodridges so it makes sense folks would pay a little more up front for sweet lines.

Oh and make 'em lighter than anything else too!

KARPIEL USA Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    [SIZE=7]OWNED[/SIZE]
    Ditto, but I don't need someone elses picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KARPIEL'S NOW IN STOCK!brian@karpiel.com www.karpiel.com

Where's the chair lift?

... and if we just ... 2 Thumbs Up for my Maguras!!

Hello, Fellow Riders!

Most of us in our shop have been using Magura Hydros for the last 4 years!! A couple are susing Shimano XT. I have 02 Louise twin pistons on my Id and they have worked like a charm from day one!! They stopped on dime from day one! Almost too much bite. Once the broke in they had nice modulation! Love them for trail riding!!

I have 03 Gustav w/ 8" rotors on my 04 Dare, that i used on my Turner Dhr all last year! The Gustavs were sweet from the get go as well!! Out of the box and out to ride!! I fixed them up with no drag what so ever!! Rode the Dh at Keystone, Co (Wild Thang) and they rocked! Never faded always had the power, used one finger and got sweet modulation! I just got some new Goodridge brake lines today that im going to install on my Gustavs. They should work even better from what Goodridge told me at Interbike this past year. Looking forward to warming them up at Whistler this summer!! LOL As far as bleeding them goes, have done my rear Gustav one time in 1 1/2 yrs and it was easy to do!! The new Shimano Pro Bleed kit rocks to bleed Maguras! Perfect the first time! I think Magura has one bleed sysytem that is similar to the Shimano now.. Also, the guys at Magura are very nice and helpful if you have any questions or need tech help! Most of the hydros out seem to work pretty well, some people have personal pref. and some people may have had bad installs too, that make them like other brake brands over the next. Im waiting to try the NEW JUICY DH brakes!! IF THEY EVER RELEASE THEM!! Jeeeez.. LOL Anyway.. I agree with Knolly! The Maguras work nice, and are dependable when called upon! Thats my 2 cents.. Enjoy the long holiday weekend, and have some good rides, guys! (Always wear a helmet!)

Nice Hope Tis, guys!!

Ellsman1 (Aka Marzman1 old forum)
    04 Dare/888

Shiveriffic

Hayes? What about the Shimano XT's?

I really don't like my Hayes Brakes. For normal riding/freeriding, they are great, but when you are riding a chair lift and doing run after run, they really play up. I have played with them time and time again and I just am not happy. The adjuster screws back out during a run (I have even tried locktite to fix this issue with no luck), and they squeel like a pig when they are cold. I have done all that is written about getting squeels out, and I am simply sick of fooling around with the hayes stuff. I'm really not impressed with the workmanship or quality of them. I have heard good things about the 4 piston Shimano XT's, but I think they quit making them and went to a 2 piston design? Whats the deal with that? I am interested with your experiences with the Shimano brakes.. One reason for the Hayes crapping out may be my weight (180) and I like to brake late and hard into corners, so I guess I am asking alot from a set of brakes..
    I am sure I will get hammered by Hayes lovers, but I wonder how many really DH them? Go easy on me guys..
    ~Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast