mtbr member

Extreme x7 vs.Astrix Huckster

Hello,
    Im new to DH, after trying my first local race in rainy super muddy conditions,I knew my 5 inch trail bike was not just cutting it.
    Shortish Pike fork and skinny 2.1 ust tires etc. plus lack of experience and technique had me over the bars a couple of times. the small beginners drops were ok but running into unexpected dips in the mud endoed the bike too easily.

Anyway im looking into an Extreme x7 or Astrix Huckster equivalent(Shawn)as a first DH bike.Im too old and slow(doing it for fun ) to get a full DH rig , I just want a bike thats more suited to the conditions.

The X7 can be bought whole and the Astrix with 7 or 8 inch fork can be built up for roughly the same price.
    Which of the 2 will make a better DH bike?
    Thanks in advance.

Thunder Chunky
    Id go for the Astrix...from what I hear Haro arent the best quality bikes but like always I could be wrong and someone is going to say that I am...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    you can build a astrix huckster for 2k?

show me your build list plz..

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    you can build a astrix huckster for 2k?

show me your build list plz..
    just find good deals and you can build it for as much as you want

mtbr member
    The extreme X7 goes for around 1.5k brand new built bike here in our country and an Astrix huckster (shawn) same frame (identical), same factory model different names goes for 705 dollars frame only.Rest of the parts can be bought used.Still will come out a little bit more than a fully built Haro.
    Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    I would get the Huckster, better suspension...and yes you can build one for under 2k.

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Waiting for Godot
    huckster is supa strong, better geo and more versatile.

since i got mine i got rid of my other bikes. put a boxxer world class fork if you can swing it. it is the perfect match for the frame.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    ty again I guess Huckster it is.

mtbr member

Astrix Rocks

Here is a pic of mine with my Eon as well. Enjoy.

-R

Attached Images Attached Images
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

Living the High Life
    My Huckster came to around $2400 I believe. There's so many parts swaped between our 6 bikes its hard to keep track of.

Its my wife's now and I use a Giant Faith for DH. The frame was a medium and I need a large I discovered. But if the Huckster was a large I never would have got rid of it. A very well balanced bike, it jumps great and can still handle DH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice...your wife is lucky!

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

mtbr member
    Just found out that the Astrix bikes here are Taiwanese (the bomb factory)copies of the original Motolink Huckster and the newer ones sold here are now faux bar 7.5 travel of a totally different frame .Used Motolink types abound used but are still copies.
    Too good to be true I guess.
    Now looking again at the Haro x7 and a brand new but small size leftover Haro 357 floating brake dh rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hello All,

Thanks all for the support and recommending for the Huckster, great to hear. However, I think there is a little confusion coming from the Philippines, and I get this a lot but no resolve.

Besides our own line of frames, Astrix designs and licenses our suspension systems to various companies around the world. So any seemingly copy or whatever is actually a custom original from us if it has our Motolink system on it. The Shawn brand uses a single pivot rear swing arm combined with our Motolink. This is in no way our 4 bar Linkage PCA used on the Huckster that is also combined with our Motolink shock system.

I can not find any information on the internet about the Shawn brand but I think dealers of Shawn may be saying the Shawn are Astrix models but only it's DNA is Astrix. I have not had a chance to go visit any of these dealers in the Philippines and see the current line of Shawn bikes. Does any one have pictures or can shed light on why I get lots of emails asking about the Shawn Huckster when there should not be a bike by this name or suspension style?

As for quality and manufacture, all Astrix frames are hand build with pride at Pacific Cycles. We have worked with them for many years because of their quality and detail in manufacturing high end cycling product. If interested check out their website for some of the interest other mtb and other type of bikes they make. www.pacific-cycles.com

Burgans --- whatever you get ... good luck and enjoy riding!

Regards,

Ryan Carroll
    Astrix Sports

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrix
    Hello All,
    I can not find any information on the internet about the Shawn brand but I think dealers of Shawn may be saying the Shawn are Astrix models but only it's DNA is Astrix. I have not had a chance to go visit any of these dealers in the Philippines and see the current line of Shawn bikes. Does any one have pictures or can shed light on why I get lots of emails asking about the Shawn Huckster when there should not be a bike by this name or suspension style?

Regards,

Ryan Carroll
    Astrix Sports
    I cant seem to find anything on the internet about Shawn bikes but I will say this anyways. As long as they arent selling them in the US, US patents and trademarks cant be enforced on them so it doesnt matter if they stole your name and suspension design unless you have it patented in a place where they are selling it. I know there have been a couple other companies out there that have had this happen to them where they had their design stolen/copied and the bikes sold in countries where they didnt have their patent. (one that comes to mind is the suspension design that Ibex was going to use for the 2008 Atlas and then they were told that it was copyright infringement and they couldnt sell it in the US, yet another company who used the same frame builder was selling it in the UK(I think thats where it was) because there wasnt a patent for it there, or something like that, you get the jist of it, I dont remeber all the details.)
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifiying! No use getting copies good they maybe.

Still a child inside...
    no to Haro

mtbr member
    Really,whats wrong with an 08 extreme x7 relatively cheap with good parts spec?
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    .. this happen... you get the jist of it, I dont remeber all the details.)
    In this particular case, Astrix did design the Shawn frames. This is why I specifically know they are single pivot swing arm wheel suspension frames with our Motolink shock system on them. And they are manufactured at Pacific Cycles.

This is why I am really curious to understand why we get inquiries about our Huckster frame being a Shawn frame and not worried about copies. From our understanding the frames are sold under the Shawn brand and should be marketed as a licensed design from Astrix not an Astrix.

Thanks all for any further details and again at the end of the day just remember whatever it is ... enjoy the ride!

Later,

Ryan