Moose Member

Evo knee and similar stuffs

So the other day at my local sporting goods store i spotted some 661 Evo Knees. After seeing lots of people wearing them i Wondered whats up. So after looking and squezzing them i tried a pair on. I usually wear some of the fox knee and shin guards.

For my riding style i prefer feeling lighter and more manuverable. I dont wear selbow guards or body protection. I dont like feeling heavy and lacking manuverability, so i am ready to deal with what happens when i fall hard without full gear.

Anywho after trying on a pair i realized these were just what i was looking for, light, offer good protection, and comfy. the only issue is the price.

My question is are they really worth the price... I really like them but i feel that for $80 (at the cheapest online) that may betoo much.

Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper than $80? even older models?

What are some other good pads that are almost the same and The EVO Knee? I want light knee pads that are flexible and have no hard parts or plastic.

Bottom line: are Evo Knees really that good?

(btw if the answer is yes i have the money to get them...)

Thanks in advance for the help...

Newt Guy
    I have been wearing the Evo XC knee pads. 2-8 hour rides... I like them. I like not having scabby knees. I have not wrecked in them, but if I do, I know they will do the job on simple scabby knee stuff.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    keep an eye on chainlove.com, they pop up every so often for half that price

Pivotal figure
    Just got a set of RaceFace Flank pads which have a small shin pad in addition to the knee. They feel very comfortable even after wearing them all day and the stay in place while riding. Had a minor crash this weekend and they worked fine for that.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Now with More Wood
    Do NOT get the Evos. POS - absolutely horrible quality. They started falling apart on the 2nd ride (that perforated neoprene material basically just rips to shreds right next to where the main pad material ends). Now, they do continue work after that stuff falls apart, because the whole deal is held together by the 2 big straps (and whatever shreds of neoprene that are left), and yes, that d3 stuff does work when you crash on it (unless the pads twist because of the lack of stability caused by the premature demise of the crappy neoprene material). All in all wholly unacceptable performance for top of the line gear (which is priced accordingly!).

I ran the old Kyle Straits (1st generation) before the Evos, and they did have some similar issues with the neoprene material getting ripped, but nowhere near to the same extent as the Evos, and certainly after much more riding time on them (I got a good 2 years out of the original Kyle Straits, and had numerous crashes - all good).

The good news is - the 2010 Kyle Straits seem pretty amazing! I've been running them for about 2 months now or so, and the quality seems to have improved in leaps and bounds. No signs of any material degradation so far - not even the slightest little rip. They feel way more solid in terms of build quality. The profile is also slimmer than the original, but with even more padding on the side of the knee (nice for when you hit the frame etc). They are nicely preformed as well, although they feel a bit tighter than the Evos, you really forget them when you are riding (including long days of pedaling). I've actually planned to post a review of them, just need a bit more time to make sure the quality is what it seems to be (and maybe have a couple little crashes on them as well... ).

If you haven't already, you should definitely give them a shot.

SamIAm
    evo look nice. but if i were going d3o it would be RF Flank hands down.

but personally i would want some penetration protection. lots of sharp pointy rocks round my land that are just plain evil.

i wear kylestraits and personally wish the plate in them was a bit thicker. dont see how just that would ruin mobility.

halfpipe skate style kneepads would be really nice if just a bit less soft padding. so bulky they hit frame lots. but its nice being able to drop your knee hard into a sharp rocky corner and not have to worry bout that last time it happened and then your knee dont work for a month or more.

hard plastic>d3o>softpadding>jeans>nothing. anyone disagree?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

No EVO

I had these pads last year, and I paid full pop retail ($119) for them.

In short; they fell apart fast, didn't work very well, and are uber expensive. I got a mean contusion righ on my kee cap from a rock, it felt like the pad did zero. It seems like they only work for preventing abrasion. Within 6 months they were pretty much worthless.

I got a pair of Fox Launch pros for half the price and they are nice! Not as "unnoticable" as the EVO's, but they actually work and are still pretty damn comfy. I have a bunch of Mt. Ashland runs on them as well as a few 3+ hour XCish rides.

Professional Troll
    The only time I've seen the evo's work at all is when people have taken 2 evo pads and doubled up the d3o material into one pad. It's just horribly inadequate padding for a DH knee pad. Check out the POC VPD knee pads. Similar, but they are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Kali for the win. Hands down the most comfortable knee pad I've ever worn.

http://kaliprotectives.com/products/...6&shopp_pid=30

mtbr member

Second year with the Evo's

I bought Evo knee and elbows early last year and have quite a few rides on em. I like them, they've held up just fine. They protected better than I expected from soft pads, but I never expected them to protect like real armor. I don't wear them on rides if I know there is a real good chance I'm hitting the rocks hard. I never figured that is what soft pads were for.

Mine are suprisingly cool on hot days, don't bother my peddaling, and stay in place even when I have slid on them. I've also heard good things about the POCs, have a friend who bought some this year and says they are super comfy and stay in place, no real crash data though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Been riding the same pair of POC Joint VPD knees for two seasons of mixed trail and DH (and skied 120 days with them on last winter). Maybe not the best for full on DH (I've got a bit of a bruised knee for a big beater at Trestle yesterday, but the pad definitely saved me from certain more serious injury; a light VPD-style pad isn't going to give the same protection as thick plastic armor) but totally awesome for XC, DJ's, or machine built (less rocks more berms) DH trails, which are my preference. The pads' durability is exceptional, and the protection to weight ratio is incomparable. Even with the single strap attachment they don't move in fast falls. I am going to purchase the new VPD Shins (which are full-leg) after having just tried them on as they have a bit more/thicker padding for true DH use. The design and material quality of the POC stuff is incredible, I wouldn't even consider 661 an option against the POCs. VPD is a dough that the manufacturer can mold into literally any shape pad, whereas 3D0 has to be cut from sheets and layered to create the pad shape. This is why the POCs have such better mobility than the 661's. Look for them on sale and be stoked the first time you touch your knee to dirt. For the record, I have owned and ridden Kyle Straits, Veggies, and EVOs. Kyle Straits have a bit more side of knee padding, but are waaay heavier/hotter. The other two don't come close to the usability or protection of the POC pads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

+1

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical

+3
    Yes they have cups but is very unobtrusive..I have worn them for upwards of 6hrs at a time and don't notice them. Have crashed plenty in them and they have no damage.
    I've been using them for about 8-9 months now. Maybe longer...
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, the Kali Protectives are GREAT. Wore them two runs at Downieville, forgot they were on.

mtbr member
    The EVO 3do XC whatever it's called has been on sale at bikebling and jenson for under $60 for a while now. I have a set that I use on some rides here and there and I used them at Whistler. Haven't crashed on them yet, but they sure are comfy. I do know you can elbow the wall and it doesn't hurt.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDucGoose
    +3
    Yes they have cups but is very unobtrusive..I have worn them for upwards of 6hrs at a time and don't notice them. Have crashed plenty in them and they have no damage.
    I've been using them for about 8-9 months now. Maybe longer...

Are the cups hard plastic or semi-soft?

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp
    Are the cups hard plastic or semi-soft?
    Hard plastic. Covered with Kevlar cloth I think it is..Very tough, hasn't ripped yet..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    I agree with Iceman, they are junky. Started unraveling after one ride and the first good crash I take with them they twist and my knee got almost as jacked up as it would have if I didn't have any pads on. They are light and maneuverable though. If they didn't cost so much, I'd give them more props for anything but DH usage. I have been using the Race Face pro Knee/ Shin and they are unreal. I really like the weight and they don't feel bulky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ripple220
    Been riding the same pair of POC Joint VPD knees for two seasons of mixed trail and DH (and skied 120 days with them on last winter). Maybe not the best for full on DH (I've got a bit of a bruised knee for a big beater at Trestle yesterday, but the pad definitely saved me from certain more serious injury; a light VPD-style pad isn't going to give the same protection as thick plastic armor) but totally awesome for XC, DJ's, or machine built (less rocks more berms) DH trails, which are my preference. The pads' durability is exceptional, and the protection to weight ratio is incomparable. Even with the single strap attachment they don't move in fast falls. I am going to purchase the new VPD Shins (which are full-leg) after having just tried them on as they have a bit more/thicker padding for true DH use. The design and material quality of the POC stuff is incredible, I wouldn't even consider 661 an option against the POCs. VPD is a dough that the manufacturer can mold into literally any shape pad, whereas 3D0 has to be cut from sheets and layered to create the pad shape. This is why the POCs have such better mobility than the 661's. Look for them on sale and be stoked the first time you touch your knee to dirt. For the record, I have owned and ridden Kyle Straits, Veggies, and EVOs. Kyle Straits have a bit more side of knee padding, but are waaay heavier/hotter. The other two don't come close to the usability or protection of the POC pads.
    Would you mind giving a size comparison between the Evos and POCs. Going to pull the trigger on a pair of POCs but unable to try on, none around. Fit between M and L on Evo knees so would buy M(slightly tight but would loosen up). What size POC do you think?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've always found the 661 pads to fit a bit big on me, I wear a small in their pads and the straps are still too long for me to engage the velcro as tightly as I would like (I'm 5'10" but roadie skinny). I wear the small POCs and they are perfect, when I bought mine there were only two sizes, S and L, so the choice was obvious. I see that there are now M available, I would bet that they fit maybe a touch smaller than the same size 661, but that is a bit of speculation based on how the S compare to each other.