mtbr member
    May 2004

Evil Dual ring guide hits rocks before bash guard?

I have a VP free and got an evil dual ring guide and bash guard. The guide is as far up (i.e. close to the frame) as possible, but find when I hit a rock (like while riding at Northstar) the guide gets knocked up agaisnt the frame and bash guard. Is this common or a problem with the fit of the guide to the VP free?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

I have the same problem....

Quote Originally Posted by RickP
    I have a VP free and got an evil dual ring guide and bash guard. The guide is as far up (i.e. close to the frame) as possible, but find when I hit a rock (like while riding at Northstar) the guide gets knocked up agaisnt the frame and bash guard. Is this common or a problem with the fit of the guide to the VP free?

As I've noticed on most bikes w/these guides/guards, the guide is hanging low enough "in the dip" between the bash ring & the tire to get whacked buy anything that can get in there. Jonas @ e.thirteen is great & will help any way he can, but, playing devils advocate, it would be hard to make a single product fit so many different bikes correctly. When we want to cram as much tire as we can into the space behind the bb it makes it hard to cram a guide, chainstay, ft. derailluer, chainrings & bashguard in the space left over. I tried spacing my crank & guide out far enough to get it away from the 2.6 Kenda Kinetic DH that was rubbing when I tried to jack my guide up high enough to get it out of way, but when it was far enough out to allow the guide to get high enough the chain line suffered/sucked. So I spaced it out as far as the chain line would let me, (2mm) & jacked the guide up as far as I could, still wasn't what I was hoping for but, better than before. It does seem ironic that w/the bashguard/guide combo you can still hit the guide when you are crawling over something. I ride a Bullit, sorry, & the chainstay isn't even a factor for me, mainly the 2.6 tire. Maybe they'll find a solution. Till then, the e.thirteen DRS is gonna get my vote & $. Saw a few pics of a gray one awhile back of someones,
    My New VP FREE
    , with the same problem. Notice in the pics how the "other guides have the same prob....???? Hmmmmm......Good Luck let us know what you come up with...

Former Noob Herder
    what size are you using? because it seems like a larger bashguard would help that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    MWOH - Thanks for the input and the props.

RickP - Unfortunately, this is the nature of the beast. The lower roller is going to be exposed to the elements on that particular frame. Obviously the issue being the droppped chainstays. The one thing you can do is dremel out a small amount of material from the upper portion of the lower wearplates. This'll help you get the roller tucked up underneath the chainstay a bit more - not much, but a little. Maybe try to run just a little less sag in the rear end - though I know htis may not be an optimal solution. Feel free to get in touch directly if you need any more assistance. Thanks.

Jonas 207.772.3132 support@e13components.com

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

If the shoe fits....

[QUOTE=E13Tech]MWOH - Thanks for the input and the props.

Hey Jonas, I call it like I see it. It's easy to deal w/honesty & Awesome cust. serv. like yours. Keep up th' good work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

same issue

I noticed the same issue when my Free was built up. Haven't had it on enough rides yet to wack the guide. I will try the dremel trick.