mtbr member
    May 2005

ESI Chunky grips for DH?

I'm rocking ESI Racer grips on XC and AM bikes and love them. DH rig however was old proven lock-ons (Peaty's edition).
    Last trip to N* just chewed my hands with bad blisters and it got me thinking that only feature I'm looking for lock-on vs. ESI Racer Edge is size, so I looked at ESI Chunky as an option.

I just installed them and size feels right with nice amount of cushion but strong grip nonetheless. Haven't got any riding time on them since still waiting for frame.

So, anyone rocking those on DH rigs? Anything to watch for?
    They tend to get damaged more easily and grip may feel different when wet from what I seen on my other bikes.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk View Post
    I'm rocking ESI Racer grips on XC and AM bikes and love them. DH rig however was old proven lock-ons (Peaty's edition).
    Last trip to N* just chewed my hands with bad blisters and it got me thinking that only feature I'm looking for lock-on vs. ESI Racer Edge is size, so I looked at ESI Chunky as an option.

I just installed them and size feels right with nice amount of cushion but strong grip nonetheless. Haven't got any riding time on them since still waiting for frame.

So, anyone rocking those on DH rigs? Anything to watch for?
    They tend to get damaged more easily and grip may feel different when wet from what I seen on my other bikes.
    No drawbacks in my opinion EXCEPT they tear up easily. I knocked a chunk out on a tree yesterday. So figure on going through a few pairs a season, but I love how comfortable and firm they are.

mtbr member
    I just recently put the chunkies on my Scythe for DH. Love them.

But since they get chewed so easily I wrapped the ends with electrical tape. So far so good.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Been running 'em since last season. As JMH mentioned, they tear up a bit easy but they're crazy comfy. Every once in a while I'll have a big off and find a grip ripped to shreds. I keep a few spare sets around and keep running them. The weight savings is about 60g over traditional lock-ons which is a real nice bonus. That's a serious chunk of weight for almost no cost (except when you tear up your grips).

FWIW, I just picked up a set of Renthal Kevlar grips. They're quite soft just holding them out of the package and promise really good durability since they're kevlar reinforced. Weight wise, the ESI's are 60g and the Renthals came in at 101g but the grips themselves are only 72g, they came with really beefy end-cap/plugs that I see no value in. If you use some super minimal end caps you should be all-in at about 80-85g with the Renthals and durability to last a full season (in theory).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks. This pretty much confirm what I was expecting. They do tear-up easily, even on AM bike I'm on the third set, but they feel so good
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I ran a set this spring. They didn't last until the end of spring. Tis a shame, they felt great, were nice and light but got destroyed in no time,

mtbr member
    May 2007
    - ESI Chunky or Racer's Edge with gloves, depending on hand size, glove thickness, and preference
    - ODI Sensus without gloves

And of course....Lock-on type grips for those without access to a compressor. But...

I prefer not having a metal clamp take up otherwise usable grip space. Also, the metal clamps can be painful in a crash.

*shrug*
    Last edited by Kyle2834; 07-31-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834 View Post
    ODI Sensus without gloves
    hmm, aren't those just swayze's? TheSensus.com only sells white and black swayze's though... ODI has purple and red too... is there a difference?

i recommend the swayze's a lot. have em on my DH and SS bike.. i you want black or white i'd order from the sensus so you can get some cool sensus stickers...