RideDirt

An EPIC downhill bike park tour in the ( All input appreciated )

Okay , so i want to go ahead and start planning , getting some good info , and getting the best input i can for next year in July . I will have the whole month of July off and i was thinking of doing a nice cross country drive all over the USA and then WHISTLER

Living in NJ , i have been to Mountain Creek , Plattekill , Highland Bike Park , and Killington Mountain .

The states i want to visit are as follows: Utah , New Mexico , Colorado , California , Washington , and last but not least Whistler . Are there any MUST have to ride states that i have missed ? I am thinking about doing at least 1 week in Whistler for sure as id like to ride as much of that place as possible but also go out and tour around the area a bit too .... Should i skip some states listed ? Im trying to have the most fun time possible to ride as much as i can but rest up as well . The drive shouldnt be too long as we will be alternating drivers while each person rests up so it would be non stop driving . I honestly want to use up that whole month to hit up the BEST of the BEST and not waste valuable precious time .

What you guys think of the line up? Gimmie a nice break down . Thanks !

Or should i say fuk it and stay in Whistler for the whole month ?!?! hahaha

BC Bike parks Lineup:

Whistler
    Silverstar
    Sun Peaks

Unites States Bike Park Lineup:

CO- Winter Park , Keystone
    CA- Mammoth, Northstar
    NM- Angelfire , Pajarito
    WA- *
    UT- *
    Last edited by aedubber; 07-20-2013 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, it's a good thing whistler is your last stop so everything else isn't a letdown...

Always fun to dream of the ultimate dh trip. I'd say:
    Trestle
    Sol vista?
    Keystone
    Crested butte?
    Deer valley
    Canyons
    North Star
    Mammoth
    Then head north to wa bike parks
    cross the border and check out silverstar and kicking horse
    Still leaves plenty of time for whistler

If you and your peeps end up passing through Glenwood springs, co and need a place to crash for a night let me know.

RideDirt
    Awesome man ! Much appreciated .... Its gonna be a costly trip but it needs to be done

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    go to Sun Peaks also in BC

RideDirt
    These mountains are HUGE , seems like Whistler , Silverstar , and Kicking Horse DEF need to be ridden.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    The must-do's in CO are Winter Park and Keystone, IMO. WP has the best jump trail around, and Keystone is chunky and raw. Sol Vista and Crested Butte are cool, but pretty small to spend whole days at. Sol Vista has huge jumps, though, if that's your thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you like machine built trails go to Silverstar ( has one or 3 real DH trails), If you like real DH Sun PEaks ( has 4 or 5 machine built trails ) is the place to go. I prefer Sun Peaks by a long shot it is one of the gnarliest hills I have ridden. If you want a crazy tech hills to ride out east go to Mont St Anne and Bromont.

Kicking horse has some nice views but half the mountain is just fire road or if the trails are open they are not fun. There are two fun trails on Kicking horse the rest were not worth it.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    If you like machine built trails go to Silverstar ( has one or 3 real DH trails), If you like real DH Sun PEaks ( has 4 or 5 machine built trails ) is the place to go. I prefer Sun Peaks by a long shot it is one of the gnarliest hills I have ridden. If you want a crazy tech hills to ride out east go to Mont St Anne and Bromont.

Kicking horse has some nice views but half the mountain is just fire road or if the trails are open they are not fun. There are two fun trails on Kicking horse the rest were not worth it.
    Thank you sir ! This helps weed out bike parks i wont waste my time on !

Huffy Rider
    If you like steeeeeep natural trails, lots of fun stuff like log rides, drops, jumps, and crazy wooden features, check out Pajarito in Los Alamos, NM. They are only open a few Saturdays each month, as they are a small, town owned ski mountain. I got to ride two days there last year and I am basing my AF trip on being able to ride here first.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Your line up is pretty solid. I'll second the above comments - Winter Park and Keystone are probably the must - ride trails in CO. They are both great mountains, but are very different from each other so it's a nice mix up.

IF you're going to make it to New Mexico, I'd try to make it so you can hit BOTH Pajarito AND Angelfire. Angelfire is building/opening many new trails (they have a LOT already), and while Pajarito does not have quite so many, it's much more raw/natural/rough and steep. But you'll have to keep eye on Pajarito's web site. They run a limited summer schedule.

These four parks from two states will give you such a variety of riding. With more stops in Utah, CA, and Whistler - what a dream trip. Be sure to post up on here as you pass through.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can tell you what I did and you decide. I'm going back to Baltimore Monday.

I-5 Park in Seattle to Galbraith in Bellingham. Whistler Valley trails, Pemberton trails, Squamish trails then down to Vancouver. Fromme to Seymour to Burke Mountain then lastly Maple Ridge.

I have enough trail maps to cover a wall!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Ugly As F*ck
    In Utah I've heard the Deer Valley area is good. I believe there are 3 lift access bike parks all in very close proximity to each other.

Washington, that I know of, only has one lift access bike park, Stevens Pass. From what I recall reading on it not long ago it's a fairly new bike park with not too many trails.

mtbr member
    You may want to check out black rock in OR.
    No lift service but worth checking out if you come up I-5 from CA.

Huffy Rider
    If you come across I-40 thru Flagstaff AZ, give a shout and we can shuttle some fun DH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    In Utah I've heard the Deer Valley area is good. I believe there are 3 lift access bike parks all in very close proximity to each other.

Washington, that I know of, only has one lift access bike park, Stevens Pass. From what I recall reading on it not long ago it's a fairly new bike park with not too many trails.
    Honestly, none of our lift-accessed stuff in Northern Utah (Deer Valley, Canyons, Sundance) is really worth going out of your way for, especially when lined up against the other stuff you're looking at riding. It is fun for what it is (local, cheap, accessible, great fun to ride if you happen to be in the area already), but it is not destination riding IMO. I haven't ridden a ton of resorts, but our offerings at DV and Canyons don't stack up against Northstar, WP, or Angelfire IMO, I'm afraid.

In the event you do end up coming through Northern Utah, Canyons is more jump lines and features, and DV has a few old-school DH runs that are steep and rocky. They (particularly the Canyons) are making significant progress, but they just aren't there yet. If you do end up in No. Utah, a ride on the Wasatch Crest trail is also a requirement. 5500 ft descending over 21 miles (with about 1k of climbing mixed in), over alternating rocky, smooth, fast, tech trail is lots of fun. Brianhead, in Southern Utah, has decent lift-accessed riding, and some very good shuttled rides as well.

The stuff that is really amazing in Utah, if you haven't been, is some of the single track and the Moab trails. I would recommend hitting the Colorado stuff, heading down to Angelfire, coming back north thru Moab and spending a couple days on the Whole Enchilada and the Amasa Back area (yeah, you'll have to pedal a little bit, but the riding is incredible). (note -- July isn't ideal for Moab -- very hot and no shade, but the Whole Enchilada isn't bad even in the summer heat, as it starts out above 11k ft). If you just want lift accessed DH stuff, I'd head straight to California from NM.

Also, when taking 1-5 North from Cali thru Oregon, you need to make time to stop in at Blackrock, just south of Salem, Oregon about an hour off of the interstate. Not lift accessed, but it is one of the best grass-roots bike parks there is. You'll have to pedal/walk up the road to earn your runs, but tons of fun! I would way rather spend a day at Blackrock than either Deer Valley or the Canyons, that is for sure.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    True, Stevens pass is only on its second year but by next July there should be at least one or two more new trails. If you're going to be in the area for Galbraith in Bellingham I would take a day or two for a trip to Stevens (they have a website you can check out)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'd go straight to Whizzler. Nothin' worse then getting hurt on your way there. If you likey....you can stay the whole time. Work your way back home after the Mecca.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Maestro View Post
    I'd go straight to Whizzler. Nothin' worse then getting hurt on your way there. If you likey....you can stay the whole time. Work your way back home after the Mecca.
    Great point. I was supposed to head there in a few days (first trip), but had to cancel due to injury. At least I got hurt a month prior, not on my way there! That would be soul-crushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now