Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty
    2010 Kona Stab.

I can see how the rebound as-is wouldn't be so hot on a trail bike. standing and mashing makes things move around a fair bit, particularly if there's some anti-squat inherent in the suspension design.

Made a little vid, too.

http://vimeo.com/10224751
    That's a nice looking trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    - Elka Stage 5 = me really really impressed!

Hey guys, I'm bringing back this thread to life to share my experience with the Elka Stage 5.

I have a 2008 Giant Reign x1 which is the same bike the original poster have. I rode the bike with the stock DHX 3 for a full year and could never get the back end of the bike to track as well as the front( Fox 36 Van R for trail days \ Marzocchi 2007 180mm RC2X for freeride and dh days).

At the beginning of this season, I bought a FOX RC4 as an upgrade for the bike. I rode the thing a couple days, enough to tune it for the bike. It felt definitely better than the DHX 3 but I could never get it as plush as I like. It felt OK with the fox fork but it seemed to have too much compression (HSC fully open) compared to the RC2X. I was at a point where I was considering getting a ligther spring rate to see it would make the shock more sensitive to the small bumps. I was then running 400 lbs, same as with my dhx3.

By the meantime, my friend got a Nicolai Helius fr with a elka shock. He graciously let me try his beauty of a bike on one of our regular trail at Bromont while he took mine. The first thing I noticed was how glued to the ground the rear wheel felt. I needed one to.

The week after my friend and I went directly to Elka with my frame. They kept it for a couple days in order to see if there was and fitment issue and then to tune a shock specifically for it. I don't know where go-ride got their information in order to send Yopawn the right shock but I highly doubt he ended up getting the right setting. The thing is so plush and dialled. Its night and day compared to the two previous shock I have had on the same frame. It track as well as on my friend's bike. The range of adjustment is amazing and the progressive rebound feels great all the time. I am now able to run a 350lbs spring which makes everything more lively. The bike capacity really just opened up with this shock. Its much more stable at speed and on technical section. For me, its a no way back.

mtbr member

shocker go elka

i bougth my shock from a new shocker owner where prefer a rc4

this nois is from:

The loud noise upon rebound stroke that some riders describe as a "sucking" sound is also a normal characteristic of our shock design, which is displacing a very large volume of oil for such a small shock. That's why we use a 14mm shaft and a bigger reservoir than most other shocks. Also, our rebound damping... relies a lot more on the valving (shim stack) than on the needle (adjuster) to provide the "progressive rebound" that most riders enjoy about the Stage 5. Finally, that noise will vary from bike to bike based on the valving used; the more progressive the rebound is, the louder the shock is. As one of our sponsored riders put it best: "It's the sound of performance, just like the turbo whoosh from a rally car."

says elka!

my shock works like a horse..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elka Stage 5 = me not impressed at all-29999_1462339727904_1515787402_1169414_802545_n.jpg  

ride.

mtbr member
    sunday i tried the stage5 in gnar dry conditions.. that shock tracks the earth like nothing else... super plush glued rear.. can't remember after the ride that i hafe a rear end so plush!!

Untitled from Antonio Joder on Vimeo.
    Last edited by 8664; 06-28-2010 at 03:46 AM.

ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Elka/X-fusion/CCDB

Good read! wow.

Now I'm really confused.

I have a Lapierre Froggy (not on Elkas 'list'). It has the same leverage ratio as two bikes on their list - Haro xtreme 7 and the Morewood Kalula (2.3:1) both have different tune recommendations and spring rate options.

I have talked to both Go-ride and Elka. The guy at Go-ride reckons the x-fusion is better for the aggressive all mountain that I do and reckons the Elka is a bit noisy.

I currently have a DHX Air - its shite after coming from a VP Free with DHX 5.

Price is not too much of a concern, weight is a small issue but a Ti spring will fix that.

At the moment I am leaning towards the 2011 X-fusion vector HLR. Its lighter, had plenty of great reviews and looks the business. I have heard too many varied reviews on the Elka which make me shy away from it (this one to boot). The CCDB seems great, however I don't like the fact you need a tool to tune it......

I guess all shocks are going to feel better than the DHX Air.

The rear shock will be paired with a FOx 36 float on a bike that will weigh 32lb with the coil. I ride mainly smooth/rooty trails, north shore stuff etc nothing epically big, but love speed.

All I want out of my shock is that it keeps the wheel on the ground over small bumps, can pop when needed and sits in its travel when run at 30% sag.

What would you do!!!!

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydawgnz View Post

I guess all shocks are going to feel better than the DHX Air.

The rear shock will be paired with a FOx 36 float on a bike that will weigh 32lb with the coil. I ride mainly smooth/rooty trails, north shore stuff etc nothing epically big, but love speed.

All I want out of my shock is that it keeps the wheel on the ground over small bumps, can pop when needed and sits in its travel when run at 30% sag.

What would you do!!!!
    Get a coil fork to better match the balance of a coil shock. Or coil fork to improve an air shocked bike handling (at least in front). Air forks don't match coil shocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Get a coil fork to better match the balance of a coil shock. Or coil fork to improve an air shocked bike handling (at least in front). Air forks don't match coil shocks.
    Wha? My Lyrik Solo Air DH is very linear (too much so in fact) and matches my Avy rear shock perfectly!

To each their own,

G

PS - This is an old thread but what I get out of it is that YoP had his mind made up that a CCDB was better from the first bad experience with the Elka. I see a lot of close-mindedness thruout this whole thread. I guess that's human nature tho!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I have to completely disagree with this

Air forks have come so far that there is hardly a difference. I have owned many of both kinds and have now decided I like air better since you can fine tune the fork easier and they are quite a bit lighter too.

I have owned both a boxxer WC and a boxxer Team (both new versions) and actually prefered the WC a little more.

Now going from an air shock to a coil shock is night and day different. Especially coming from a DHX air to a quality coil shock.

As for Elka or not, its hard to say. I have had one be one of the most amazing shocks ever and the other be just ok. The second one the rebound was way off. it went from waaay to fast for 3/4 of the clicks down to barely moving for the last couple. No inbetween. It was a custom deal though that hadn't been done before so it had probably just got the wrong rebound tune.

slap happy
    i've got one of these shocks and i can say it's been great. infinitely adjustable and totally plush.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Thread revival.

I just got a used Elka. I noticed that the HSC has no clicks, I cannot open the knob cause the tiny allen bolts have been "rounded" off by the previous owner. Maybe the detent ball has fallen off or something.

I also noticed that the first initial stroke of the travel (around 5mm) is overly sensitive compared to my DHX. You can activate movement just by "lightly" pressing on the bike without rider, it also has a sag of 3mm without rider. I also noticed that there is a clunking feel if you pull up on the bike, or by rocking the bike to check for loose pivots. It feels like there's a loose pivot but I'm certain that it is the shock. The clunking is in the first initial part of the travel. Anyone has the same issues on your Elka?

And, yes the shock is making that sucking, slurping sound.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yeah, I had that with mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty View Post
    yeah, I had that with mine.
    Have you had your shock serviced yet? I find the service fee of $99 a bit steep though (yes I'm friggin' poor ). And I have to ship it international.
    Folangag

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4