mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Electric Motor DH Bike?

Think of it. No need to wait around for a shuttle or the lift. Just push the trigger and go up, with pedal assist.

I'm looking into this because it's either this or I may have to give up mountain biking altogether. For those of us with spine or pain issues from rock jarring of mtb, this will allow us to get up the hill with a heavier DH bike and still enjoy the speed of DH rocky terrain with less pain and less risk of damaging those vertebrae bone spurs. Less pain=longer riding health. Using a long-travel DH bike has obvious benefits on rough stuff.

So, I'm not looking to get into the hate of "cheaters" using a motor but looking into how to make this happen. Please save all the "its not MTB" comments. An electric motor on a long-travel DH bike, like say a V10 or Demo would be sweet.

There's a few companies out there that sell conversion kits. They go for about $3k+ with battery and charger. Anyone done this to their DH rig or know of someone with one?

Ego Kit Mid Drive E-Bike | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    These guys seem to have done their research and Kranked out of Redwood City CA uses this motor on V10s. But I am not going to pay $12K. I'd buy the kit and install on my own DH rig at a fraction of the cost.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Uphill? What's that
    The problem I have with motorized bikes is that it will give the mountain bike haters an excuse to close down more trails because they will compare them to motorbikes..
    Also , I don't see how not having to pedal as hard uphills is going to save you from the rock jarring descents..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry to hear about your pain but no good can come of these types of bikes. A dh bike won't make your pain disappear, it may marginally help it at best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK. I've heard all the "anti" comments, please don't bother if that's all you're here for. I'm not interested in getting into any discussions on pros/cons of using these Ebikes.

As I said, I'm ONLY interested in hearing from those who've actually tried it.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Electric Motor DH Bike?

What rob-bob said. Sorry about your physical issue but you'll get us all banned. You can still ride shuttle and lift served parks. I can't compete moguls any more due to knee pain, but I don't demand they flatten the ruts and make the jumps smaller so I can . I know you don't wanna hear it but you're on a public forum asking for opinions so there you have it. There's another thread on this playing out right now in Norcal. There always seems to be one on mtbr somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    What rob-bob said. Sorry about your physical issue but you'll get us all banned. You can still ride shuttle and lift served parks. I can't compete moguls any more due to knee pain, but I don't demand they flatten the ruts and make the jumps smaller so I can . I know you don't wanna hear it but you're on a public forum asking for opinions so there you have it. There's another thread on this playing out right now in Norcal. There always seems to be one on mtbr somewhere.
    OK, now you've voiced your opinion. Great.

Regardless I think this is a great idea and I intend to build one. DH style

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I rode an electric motocross bike last year that had remarkable power for electric, and the suspension and speed capability of a motorcycle. The owner claimed about 2 hours of heavy riding time per charge, although I only rode around 15 minutes so I can't verify that. If you're going to stick to trails allowing motorized vehicles why not go for the gusto. Myself, I use my powered toys when appropriate, and for the type of adventure they give, while my bicycles are I use when I want the exercise and somewhat different adventure I experience with them

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UTGeezer View Post
    I rode an electric motocross bike last year that had remarkable power for electric, and the suspension and speed capability of a motorcycle. The owner claimed about 2 hours of heavy riding time per charge, although I only rode around 15 minutes so I can't verify that. If you're going to stick to trails allowing motorized vehicles why not go for the gusto. Myself, I use my powered toys when appropriate, and for the type of adventure they give, while my bicycles are I use when I want the exercise and somewhat different adventure I experience with them
    yeah, having motocross bikes AND mtb would be nice for sure. But the accessibility of a mountain bike whilst being able to get up hill easily is also appealing. The best of both worlds actually.

So, again anyone built one up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Some mid drive kits to consider

Myitch, I am new here. I would normally only lurk, but this is one thread where I may have some helpful links. The EGO is very expensive, and it uses a headway motor and planetary geared reduction. It is a well-proven combination that has been used by Cyclone for many years. Many have said it is somewhat loud (cordless drill sound).

Perhaps consider the BBS02 at 48V / 750W, it uses a helical gear in the reduction, and that one change allows it to run much quieter. If you choose this, wait till July and get the 9-FET controller (instead of the stock 6-FET). Its a factory upgrade because the 25-Amp controller has been getting too hot at more than 22A if the max amps are used for an extended time. em3ev.com has it, and is a reliable vendor. $500 plus shipping, minus battery/charger, and bike. Bafang BBS02 48V 750W Mid Drive Kit

If you think you may want more power than that, the LightningRods kit has a motor that has twice the copper mass, so it can take twice the amps at 48V / 1,500W. The primary (high-RPM) half of the reduction uses a toothed belt instead of chain/gears, and the first two users report it runs very quietly. I think it is $800 plus shipping, minus battery/charger and bike. Endless-sphere.com ? View topic - LightningRods mid drive kit

I haven't tried the BBS02 yet, but I will be getting a LightningRods kit this month: 10 Mid Drive Kits for DIY Electric Bikes | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    Last edited by spinningmagnets; 06-16-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling, syntax, add additional info

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningmagnets View Post
    Myitch, I am new here. I would normally only lurk, but this is one thread where I may have some helpful links. The EGO is very expensive, and it uses a headway motor and planetary geared reduction. It is a well-proven combination that has been used by Cyclone for many years. Many have said it is somewhat loud (cordless drill sound).

Perhaps consider the BBS02 at 48V / 750W, it uses a helical gear in the reduction, and that one change allows it to run much quieter. If you choose this, wait till July and get the 9-FET controller (instead of the stock 6-FET). Its a factory upgrade because the 25-Amp controller has been getting too hot at more than 22A if the max amps are used for an extended time. em3ev.com has it, and is a reliable vendor. $500 plus shipping, minus battery/charger, and bike. Bafang BBS02 48V 750W Mid Drive Kit

If you think you may want more power than that, the LightningRods kit has a motor that has twice the copper mass, so it can take twice the amps at 48V / 1,500W. The primary (high-RPM) half of the reduction uses a toothed belt instead of chain/gears, and the first two users report it runs very quietly. I think it is $800 plus shipping, minus battery/charger and bike. Endless-sphere.com ? View topic - LightningRods mid drive kit

I haven't tried the BBS02 yet, but I will be getting a LightningRods kit this month: 10 Mid Drive Kits for DIY Electric Bikes | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    Super info. Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Some real experiential advice. Thanks Spring

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Where would you ride it? Motorized vehicles are illegal on almost all current mtb trails. If you are going to ride your new ebike on motorized use trails, so be it. Just don't think you are going to ride it on mtb trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    why dont you just ride lift served/shuttle? or buy a dirtbike? by the time you finish building your electric v10 you'll have spend enough to probably get 2 motocross bikes, and you wont have people shaking their heads at you

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Electric Motor DH Bike?

And, you won't have moto's laughing at you for taking a puny ebike on OHV trails, which are, the only trails where your bike would be legal in most states.

Some Assembly Required
    Pain or no pain, a motorized vehicle has NO PLACE on a mtn bike trail, unless it is being used to get an injured person off of the mtn. They are just light weight motorcycles someone will try to make you believe is a viable alternative to "normal" mtn bikes.
    IMO, if you are looking for something motorized to take you up or down then you should get out of mtn biking altogether because you are seriously missing the whole point....just my opinion.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Pro Crastinator
    lots of haters, but there always will be, no matter the subject of discussion....

i wouldn't fork over the money personally, but i have ridden them and they are plenty of fun....
    Electric Motor DH Bike?-878204d1395266864-beefiest-short-travel-26-fs-e-bike-null-8.jpg
    Electric Motor DH Bike?-878205d1395266921-beefiest-short-travel-26-fs-e-bike-null-7.jpg

i do find it ironic that tools who use their trucks to get to the top of the hill, are the same idiots trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You can get a VERY nice dirt bike for the price of a dh rig. You can get a VERY nice electric dirt bike for less than an electric mtb (and it's faster, with a longer run time, and better suspension).

Why would you spend more for a half assed hacked together solution? Just so it has a mtb logo on the frame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Delirious Tuck
    I rode a haibike with pedal assist recently.

You're still gonna get beat up riding up tech and then down.

If you're just straight lazy, then its a good solution.

Shuttles =/= ebikes or assist. I get both sides on that point. But seriously, to ignore the access issues where people already want us out... How fast can you get away from the man when your battery dies and bikes have been banned?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I forgot to mention, the LightningRods electric mid drive kit has mounting brackets for 68mm, 73mm, 83mm and 100mm bottom brackets...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Think of it. No need to wait around for a shuttle or the lift. Just push the trigger and go up, with pedal assist.

I'm looking into this because it's either this or I may have to give up mountain biking altogether. For those of us with spine or pain issues from rock jarring of mtb, this will allow us to get up the hill with a heavier DH bike and still enjoy the speed of DH rocky terrain with less pain and less risk of damaging those vertebrae bone spurs. Less pain=longer riding health. Using a long-travel DH bike has obvious benefits on rough stuff.

So, I'm not looking to get into the hate of "cheaters" using a motor but looking into how to make this happen. Please save all the "its not MTB" comments. An electric motor on a long-travel DH bike, like say a V10 or Demo would be sweet.

There's a few companies out there that sell conversion kits. They go for about $3k+ with battery and charger. Anyone done this to their DH rig or know of someone with one?

Ego Kit Mid Drive E-Bike | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    These guys seem to have done their research and Kranked out of Redwood City CA uses this motor on V10s. But I am not going to pay $12K. I'd buy the kit and install on my own DH rig at a fraction of the cost.
    Get an inexpensive full suspension MTB off direct bike or used off Craig's list. BBSO2 middrive. Anything more would be jarring your back. Pedal assist mode. You are doing the work just getting help. Use the bike everywhere else too.