Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529

    Electric Motor DH Bike?

    Think of it. No need to wait around for a shuttle or the lift. Just push the trigger and go up, with pedal assist.

    I'm looking into this because it's either this or I may have to give up mountain biking altogether. For those of us with spine or pain issues from rock jarring of mtb, this will allow us to get up the hill with a heavier DH bike and still enjoy the speed of DH rocky terrain with less pain and less risk of damaging those vertebrae bone spurs. Less pain=longer riding health. Using a long-travel DH bike has obvious benefits on rough stuff.

    So, I'm not looking to get into the hate of "cheaters" using a motor but looking into how to make this happen. Please save all the "its not MTB" comments. An electric motor on a long-travel DH bike, like say a V10 or Demo would be sweet.

    There's a few companies out there that sell conversion kits. They go for about $3k+ with battery and charger. Anyone done this to their DH rig or know of someone with one?

    Ego Kit Mid Drive E-Bike | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    These guys seem to have done their research and Kranked out of Redwood City CA uses this motor on V10s. But I am not going to pay $12K. I'd buy the kit and install on my own DH rig at a fraction of the cost.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  2. #2
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    658
    The problem I have with motorized bikes is that it will give the mountain bike haters an excuse to close down more trails because they will compare them to motorbikes..
    Also , I don't see how not having to pedal as hard uphills is going to save you from the rock jarring descents..

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,074
    Sorry to hear about your pain but no good can come of these types of bikes. A dh bike won't make your pain disappear, it may marginally help it at best.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    OK. I've heard all the "anti" comments, please don't bother if that's all you're here for. I'm not interested in getting into any discussions on pros/cons of using these Ebikes.

    As I said, I'm ONLY interested in hearing from those who've actually tried it.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  5. #5
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,181

    Re: Electric Motor DH Bike?

    What rob-bob said. Sorry about your physical issue but you'll get us all banned. You can still ride shuttle and lift served parks. I can't compete moguls any more due to knee pain, but I don't demand they flatten the ruts and make the jumps smaller so I can . I know you don't wanna hear it but you're on a public forum asking for opinions so there you have it. There's another thread on this playing out right now in Norcal. There always seems to be one on mtbr somewhere.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    What rob-bob said. Sorry about your physical issue but you'll get us all banned. You can still ride shuttle and lift served parks. I can't compete moguls any more due to knee pain, but I don't demand they flatten the ruts and make the jumps smaller so I can . I know you don't wanna hear it but you're on a public forum asking for opinions so there you have it. There's another thread on this playing out right now in Norcal. There always seems to be one on mtbr somewhere.
    OK, now you've voiced your opinion. Great.

    Regardless I think this is a great idea and I intend to build one. DH style
    We Ride In God's Country!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7
    I rode an electric motocross bike last year that had remarkable power for electric, and the suspension and speed capability of a motorcycle. The owner claimed about 2 hours of heavy riding time per charge, although I only rode around 15 minutes so I can't verify that. If you're going to stick to trails allowing motorized vehicles why not go for the gusto. Myself, I use my powered toys when appropriate, and for the type of adventure they give, while my bicycles are I use when I want the exercise and somewhat different adventure I experience with them

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by UTGeezer View Post
    I rode an electric motocross bike last year that had remarkable power for electric, and the suspension and speed capability of a motorcycle. The owner claimed about 2 hours of heavy riding time per charge, although I only rode around 15 minutes so I can't verify that. If you're going to stick to trails allowing motorized vehicles why not go for the gusto. Myself, I use my powered toys when appropriate, and for the type of adventure they give, while my bicycles are I use when I want the exercise and somewhat different adventure I experience with them
    yeah, having motocross bikes AND mtb would be nice for sure. But the accessibility of a mountain bike whilst being able to get up hill easily is also appealing. The best of both worlds actually.

    So, again anyone built one up?
    We Ride In God's Country!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    19

    Some mid drive kits to consider

    Myitch, I am new here. I would normally only lurk, but this is one thread where I may have some helpful links. The EGO is very expensive, and it uses a headway motor and planetary geared reduction. It is a well-proven combination that has been used by Cyclone for many years. Many have said it is somewhat loud (cordless drill sound).

    Perhaps consider the BBS02 at 48V / 750W, it uses a helical gear in the reduction, and that one change allows it to run much quieter. If you choose this, wait till July and get the 9-FET controller (instead of the stock 6-FET). Its a factory upgrade because the 25-Amp controller has been getting too hot at more than 22A if the max amps are used for an extended time. em3ev.com has it, and is a reliable vendor. $500 plus shipping, minus battery/charger, and bike. Bafang BBS02 48V 750W Mid Drive Kit

    If you think you may want more power than that, the LightningRods kit has a motor that has twice the copper mass, so it can take twice the amps at 48V / 1,500W. The primary (high-RPM) half of the reduction uses a toothed belt instead of chain/gears, and the first two users report it runs very quietly. I think it is $800 plus shipping, minus battery/charger and bike. Endless-sphere.com ? View topic - LightningRods mid drive kit

    I haven't tried the BBS02 yet, but I will be getting a LightningRods kit this month: 10 Mid Drive Kits for DIY Electric Bikes | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    Last edited by spinningmagnets; 06-16-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling, syntax, add additional info

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningmagnets View Post
    Myitch, I am new here. I would normally only lurk, but this is one thread where I may have some helpful links. The EGO is very expensive, and it uses a headway motor and planetary geared reduction. It is a well-proven combination that has been used by Cyclone for many years. Many have said it is somewhat loud (cordless drill sound).

    Perhaps consider the BBS02 at 48V / 750W, it uses a helical gear in the reduction, and that one change allows it to run much quieter. If you choose this, wait till July and get the 9-FET controller (instead of the stock 6-FET). Its a factory upgrade because the 25-Amp controller has been getting too hot at more than 22A if the max amps are used for an extended time. em3ev.com has it, and is a reliable vendor. $500 plus shipping, minus battery/charger, and bike. Bafang BBS02 48V 750W Mid Drive Kit

    If you think you may want more power than that, the LightningRods kit has a motor that has twice the copper mass, so it can take twice the amps at 48V / 1,500W. The primary (high-RPM) half of the reduction uses a toothed belt instead of chain/gears, and the first two users report it runs very quietly. I think it is $800 plus shipping, minus battery/charger and bike. Endless-sphere.com ? View topic - LightningRods mid drive kit

    I haven't tried the BBS02 yet, but I will be getting a LightningRods kit this month: 10 Mid Drive Kits for DIY Electric Bikes | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    Super info. Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Some real experiential advice. Thanks Spring
    We Ride In God's Country!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    861
    Where would you ride it? Motorized vehicles are illegal on almost all current mtb trails. If you are going to ride your new ebike on motorized use trails, so be it. Just don't think you are going to ride it on mtb trails.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    449
    why dont you just ride lift served/shuttle? or buy a dirtbike? by the time you finish building your electric v10 you'll have spend enough to probably get 2 motocross bikes, and you wont have people shaking their heads at you

  13. #13
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,181

    Re: Electric Motor DH Bike?

    And, you won't have moto's laughing at you for taking a puny ebike on OHV trails, which are, the only trails where your bike would be legal in most states.

  14. #14
    Some Assembly Required
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,073
    Pain or no pain, a motorized vehicle has NO PLACE on a mtn bike trail, unless it is being used to get an injured person off of the mtn. They are just light weight motorcycles someone will try to make you believe is a viable alternative to "normal" mtn bikes.
    IMO, if you are looking for something motorized to take you up or down then you should get out of mtn biking altogether because you are seriously missing the whole point....just my opinion.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  15. #15
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,648
    lots of haters, but there always will be, no matter the subject of discussion....

    i wouldn't fork over the money personally, but i have ridden them and they are plenty of fun....
    Electric Motor DH Bike?-878204d1395266864-beefiest-short-travel-26-fs-e-bike-null-8.jpg
    Electric Motor DH Bike?-878205d1395266921-beefiest-short-travel-26-fs-e-bike-null-7.jpg

    i do find it ironic that tools who use their trucks to get to the top of the hill, are the same idiots trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong...


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    101
    You can get a VERY nice dirt bike for the price of a dh rig. You can get a VERY nice electric dirt bike for less than an electric mtb (and it's faster, with a longer run time, and better suspension).

    Why would you spend more for a half assed hacked together solution? Just so it has a mtb logo on the frame?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,422
    I rode a haibike with pedal assist recently.

    You're still gonna get beat up riding up tech and then down.

    If you're just straight lazy, then its a good solution.

    Shuttles =/= ebikes or assist. I get both sides on that point. But seriously, to ignore the access issues where people already want us out... How fast can you get away from the man when your battery dies and bikes have been banned?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    19
    I forgot to mention, the LightningRods electric mid drive kit has mounting brackets for 68mm, 73mm, 83mm and 100mm bottom brackets...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Think of it. No need to wait around for a shuttle or the lift. Just push the trigger and go up, with pedal assist.

    I'm looking into this because it's either this or I may have to give up mountain biking altogether. For those of us with spine or pain issues from rock jarring of mtb, this will allow us to get up the hill with a heavier DH bike and still enjoy the speed of DH rocky terrain with less pain and less risk of damaging those vertebrae bone spurs. Less pain=longer riding health. Using a long-travel DH bike has obvious benefits on rough stuff.

    So, I'm not looking to get into the hate of "cheaters" using a motor but looking into how to make this happen. Please save all the "its not MTB" comments. An electric motor on a long-travel DH bike, like say a V10 or Demo would be sweet.

    There's a few companies out there that sell conversion kits. They go for about $3k+ with battery and charger. Anyone done this to their DH rig or know of someone with one?

    Ego Kit Mid Drive E-Bike | ELECTRICBIKE.COM
    These guys seem to have done their research and Kranked out of Redwood City CA uses this motor on V10s. But I am not going to pay $12K. I'd buy the kit and install on my own DH rig at a fraction of the cost.
    Get an inexpensive full suspension MTB off direct bike or used off Craig's list. BBSO2 middrive. Anything more would be jarring your back. Pedal assist mode. You are doing the work just getting help. Use the bike everywhere else too.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3
    i put the EGO WRP kit on my KONA WO back in June of this year.

    Ok, not a DH bike, but i think having the kit installed on my rig has some relevance here.

    … All in, it cost me $6,250cad. This includes $200 worth of shipping costs.

    Ive used the kit pretty much every day for at least an hour since i got it and have had no real issues with it breaking down or over heating or anything.

    However, there is a potential for going through allot of broken chains and bent chain rings, depending on how merciless you are with the throttle. Im usually pretty gentle and have only busted one bike chain to date.

    That said, the WRP kit is really powerful, and maintains its power consistently… wether going cross country or uphill.

    With electric motors, torque delivery is almost instintanious… so unless you pedall your bike up to speed before throttling up, your front end bucks and can even buck hard enough to really throw you down, especially on flats.

    Its fairly easy to install, took me about 1hr and im no bike mechanic.

    The kit will get you deep hate from the elitist / purist factions though… so expect antisocial behaviors from these types.

    But its easy to brush these entitled objections off.

    A few years ago, as I walked along my merry way, I was blind sided by a cyclist who had run a red light… long story short, my hip was shattered and hasn’t been good since. After a hole bunch of rehab, I thought I would still never be able to enjoy a bike ride again without suffering lightning fire pain.

    Now im on my bike every day.

    My hip still hurts, but I can manage the pain thanks to the extra help.

    All in all, if you have the cash to spend, I say get yourself one of these bad boys.

    You wont regret it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DHMASTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    184
    Pedal assist motorcycles or e-bikes as the marketers would have you call them are just pathetic. Have you been missing your old moped? Get an electric motorcycle and go have some real fun at the ohv parks.
    DW-DHR,VPX,SLX,SX,Stump Jumper ht.,Specialist, Bicycle Fabrications DH Tandem,Gravity Bike,Bamboo 29rs,Profile Uni,Renovo R4.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,103
    No thanks, waiting in line for the shuttle or lift and talking to fellow riders is all apart of the culture, more so. When it's raining!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    443
    Zombie thread!!!

    Wait you spent 6,000 on a electric dirt bike, why didn't you just buy a fancy KTM?

  24. #24
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    So, I'm not looking to get into the hate of "cheaters" using a motor but looking into how to make this happen. Please save all the "its not MTB" comments. An electric motor on a long-travel DH bike, like say a V10 or Demo would be sweet.

    T
    Tt.
    the guy gave reasoning for everything....stop the ohh....motorczed bikes and shouldn't be on trail...because then you are all hypocrites....all of you ride illegal trails....all of you....because 99% of good dh trails are illegal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B888S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    117
    This summer, I saw two people waiting in line for the gondola in Mammoth with electric Santa Cruz V10's. They were both pulled out of line before getting on the gondola and told that they could not ride any type of electric bike on the mountain. Both of the riders were very unhappy to say the least. When I got on the gondola, the riders were attempting to get a refund for their lift ticket. As far as I know, they were not offered refunds. I did not see either of them on the mountain that day.
    '14 Demo 8 II
    '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    '13 Stumpjumper HT Comp
    '13 Roubaix Elite Apex

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1

    Lighting Rods on Intense M6

    Spinning magnets mentioned the lightning rods kit which is what I am running on a downhill bike now. I got an intense m6 and put everything together myself. I use the motor to ride firetrails and see a person about 0.01% of the time I ride. I ride very cautiously on blind areas and I am by far a safer person to come across than any mountain biker, for one reason you might hear me a bit better and I don't go down fast to get kicks. I go up fast to have fun. I very rarely use single track and if I do I pedal and again go slower than mountain bikers.

    I understand the first poster. You have a dh bike because it soaks up the rough parts. I don't drive to mountain bike parks, I use pedal assist. There are no chairlifts.. I don't use power on single track because that would be where there might be a bit of extra erosion from the extra power.

    It gets me out and I exercise, but I don't turn red and almost have a heart attack like I used to get by trying to climb mountains on the bike. I don't have time to push a bike up a mountain or pull it apart and put it back together again in a car. I just ride out of my garage and am back in an hour or two with 100% riding. I am too old to ride dangerously, sorry to all the haters in advance.

    Just remember that the great majority of what I ride is firetrail which totally unmaintained 4wd eroded terrain far from where most mountain bikers would ever ride out to. I actually prefer it for fun.

    If you'd like to see what I mean

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XlBRmy_6rz9GuX

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrackd View Post
    Zombie thread!!!

    Wait you spent 6,000 on a electric dirt bike, why didn't you just buy a fancy KTM?
    The EGO WRP kit offers better performance.

    KTM uses the Bosch Performance Line CX drive system (36 volt - 45km/h - 75Nm torque).

    It isn't as powerful as the Ego WRP kit (51 volt - 75km/h - 130Nm torque).

    The Bafang system also fell short in terms of power, compared to the Ego WRP kit.

    Another influence on my choice of e-kits was that I prefer keeping the battery weight on my back, as opposed to keeping it on the bike frame. I have to lug this rig up and down a flight of steps (bike + motor weight approx. 46lbs).

    performance wise, the lightning rods big block kit might compete with the Ego WRP kit... I just don't like the way it looks compared to the WRP kit.

Similar Threads

  1. Electric mtn bike; what should I look for ?
    By mikereidis in forum E-Bikes
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 01:53 PM
  2. Mid mount electric motor AM rig?
    By myitch in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
  3. Paid Spam: Fat bike motor assist front kit
    By cjbrubaker in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
  4. Zumbi F44 prototype with Boosty electric motor system video
    By ZUMBI in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 04:43 AM
  5. Electric Bike
    By Cycle64 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •