mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Either I can't count or...

Hi all,
    So i'm really confused here, can anyone lend a hand?

Is this a 10speed cassette because the derailleur is clearly a 10speed but I only count 9 sprockets...

I think i'm eventually going to replace it all (if its too worn/unserviceable) with the same equipment. I have found the derailleur (its not cheap! - what are your opinions on the condition - looks haggard AF to me )

But I'm not sure on what the cassette is.. Should it be a 10?

I was thinking of going 11-36 on a 10speed. But now im not sure whats what. I'm still a few months away from taking ownership so I don't have the bike with me. These pictures I went to take but id like to get as much info as possible so im ready to wield spanners when I do get it.

(click images for full size)

thanks for any info and help with my threads.

https://s9.postimg.cc/xi5oxazwf/20180514_121032.jpg

https://s9.postimg.cc/5i1ld145r/20180514_121037.jpg

https://s9.postimg.cc/xi5oxbn1r/20180514_122002.jpg

https://s9.postimg.cc/t90yv4h7j/2s-l1600.jpg

Glad to Be Alive
    does the derailleur still shift well ?? (may need an adjustment)....you can still use it with 9 speed by using limiter screws...clean, chain, cassett and sprocket and use less lube on chain....if it is really worn then buy new 10 speed
    chain sprocket and cassett....and hopefully derailleur is still good
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It didnt get into the top sprockets but I think a new cable and index and would be ok maybe fix that. Yeah I will get it as good as I can then save for new cassette and chain etc.

Think im going to replace all the bolts on the bike and do a total strip down and re-grease/replace things that are worn.

Ill also learn the bike as I do that and know everything is up to standard. it will allow me to properly inspect all the ins and outs of the frame that you can't see, also.

Thanks for letting me know about running a 9sp on a 10 thats reassuring. And yep, I will be getting a Torque Wrench 1-25nm sort of range before I tighten anything to carbon especially. Thanks.

In those pics does it look to you like the derailleur hanger has a crack around the bolt running towards the pivot area?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Check Santa Cruz website before tearing it down...they have replacement kits for pivot bearings/bushings/hardware along with instructions. I replaced mine a couple of times on Heckler.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Cheers, I will get the ProPack if needed. Prefer to service them if poss.

mtbr member
    I could only get the pictures to load, but if you only count 9 cogs on the cassette, it's likely a 9 speed cassette, unless somebody pulled off 1 cog and put a spacer in (not sure why you'd do that but...). Usually the cassette cogs will be stamped with a little 9s or 10s etc.. so you can tell what it is.

Whether a derailleur is a 10 spd vs a 9 speed model is less important than the the what the shifter is. Generally speaking, if you've got a 9 speed shifter, you need to run a 9 speed cassette, and a 10 speed shifter requires a 10 speed cassette, since the spacing between the individual cassette cogs is different.

Sometimes you can get away with running a 10 speed shifter and 10 speed cassette with a 9 speed derailleur, or 9 speed shifter and cassette with a 10 speed derailleur, but the cable pull ratio (i.e. the amount of cable the shifter pulls and the shift ratio of the derailleur) has to be compatible with the cassette.

You can read all about that here: Art's Cyclery Blog ยป Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility

Anyway, if you end up with the wrong cable pull ratio for your shifter/derailleur and cassette, you may be able to get it adjusted so that some of your gears shift properly some of the time, but usually not all of the gears all of the time.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks man. I think if the sifter and derailleur are 10 speed but the cassette is 9 (it was probably done because of the price... idk)

I will just put a 10 cassette back on. Thanks for the link ill check that out now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_spawn View Post
    Thanks man. I think if the sifter and derailleur are 10 speed but the cassette is 9 (it was probably done because of the price... idk)

I will just put a 10 cassette back on. Thanks for the link ill check that out now.
    Don't forget about the chain. General rule is you need to run the same speed shifter, cassette and chain because the spacing between 9spd cassette cogs is narrower than 10 spd, therefore a 9 speed chain is wider than 10spd chain. Plus, if you're putting a brand new cassette on, it's good practice to put a fresh chain on as well. Since cassettes are much more spendy than chains, you can get a cassette to last through many chain replacements if you replace chains before they get too worn.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    this is the one i was looking at. KMC X10-EL Gold 10 Speed.

And the shifter is a SRAM X0 also so im guessing they are a "set". should be all good

Thanks for the help twd, much appreciated

not long now should have the bike paid for by July then its refreshing it bit by bit.