mtbr member

Easton Havoc v.s. Built DT Swiss 5.1, Hope Pro2, DT Champion

I'm thinking of changing the WTB Dual Duty wheelset (WTB spokes, WTB Laser Disc DH 20mm, and WTB SpeedDisc XC QR) of my San Andreas DNA and I've narrowed down my option to the Easton Havoc's that Jenson has on sale for $350 and my friend's very slightly used built wheel with DT Swiss 5.1d's, DT Champion spokes, and Hope Pro2 hubs.

I'm a heavy rider (210 lbs) and have bad line choices as I just tend to plow over stuff that is why my XC/Trail bike is a 7x7. The problems that I had with the WTB's was that the rear spokes keep on loosening just after a few rides. I have a spare Deetraks wheelset which I owned for 2 years and are bombproof but I find it too heavy for XC/Trail riding.

One of my buddies who is a few lbs heavier (230-ish) but rides less aggresively roll with the Easton Havocs but his rear spokes keep on loosening. He highly recommends his wheelset due to it's fast engagement and light weight. My buddy who is selling the built wheel for around the same price as the Havocs is a much lighter rider (160-ish) but he bent the 5.1d's when he hit a square edged rock. He got the wheel fixed and hasn't used it since.

The Havocs are brand new, very light, very good engagement, but the 24 count spokes might not take my style of riding. My friends built wheel have quality components but the rims are kinda soft.

I'd appreciate any recommendations
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I recommend you NOT ask the same question on two different boards.

Posting the question once on the AM board is enough, don't you think?

Wouldn't you get the best answers about AM/Trail wheels on the AM forum?

moaaar shimz
    I'd get the DT Swiss wheelset

Stray Bullet
    What is wrong with the WTB wheelset?

mtbr member
    How bad lines can you pick on a XC/Trail bike? From what I see it's far from XC/Trail riding if you need 7x7 and trash rims. I think you need to decide on what are you riding. Trail or FR?

Don't think 5.1 will hold up heavy guys trashing wheels. Don't know about havocs. Preferably sth on 721.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Sorry about posting this all over the place but I wanna get opinions from different riding disciplines. This is because my lightest / most pedal friendly bike has 7x7 inches of travel and I do ride it sometimes at DH class trails that require alot of pedalling to get to or when my FR bike is offline. My WTB wheelset's rear spokes keep on loosening up much more than I can tolerate (5 rides) but as I mentioned earlier I don't want to slap my heavy Deetraks on it cuz I sometimes use it for Epic XC's and I don't want to go over it's current 35 lbs. weight.

Pics of my wheelset / AM bike

Last edited by nickgto; 06-25-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Stray Bullet
    All things being equal do you think a 35 lbs bike will feel that much different that a 36 lbs one?

moaaar shimz
    Rotational weight man, rotational weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    All things being equal do you think a 35 lbs bike will feel that much different that a 36 lbs one?
    It does specially when the extra 1-2 lbs is at the wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Now you have got to compile the responses from both threads and decide who really knows what they are talking about and who just made something up.

But, hey whatever floats your boat.

BTW, if that is one of those Easton adjustable stems on that bike, they look really cool, can you talk about how you like it and how well it works?

Stray Bullet
    Better yet lost 10 lbs off your gut and you'll be way better off.

Anytime I start to think of making my bike lighter I remember I could lost 15 lbs and be able to climb way faster.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I've got a set of Easton Havoc wheels and they've held up very well. Only one broken spoke after a 50 mile ride, and that was after almost a year riding on them.

the only gripe I have is the difficulty in procuring the spokes. They're some special triple butted size and there are two different lengths. Apparently only easton makes them and it took the shop 2 weeks to get them, so I ordered extra.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    The problems that I had with the WTB's was that the rear spokes keep on loosening just after a few rides.
    Sounds like this is problem #1.

Friendly suggestion... take them to a good mechanic/wheelbuilder. Just like any other wheel, especially a factory-machine-built one on a bike that sees abusive riding, it's going to need some maintenance. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a handful of riders who have ridden those WTB wheels hard with very few complaints.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like your wheels aren't treating you all that bad...

If you're just itching to spend that $350 bucks, spend it on a gym membership. Cross training is a great way to get better at riding your bike and getting in better shape.

Cheers.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've had no problems with my Havoc's but I'm only 175lbs.
    2 wheels