maker of trail

easton havoc dh wheels?

So I did some searching, and in general they seem to be reviewed favorably.

Basically I'm looking for a new set of wheels so I can replace my ageing 823's on formula hubs before they die totally, this way the 823's will be my spare wheel set (fits both mine and the wifeys bike, so that works out well).

Now originally I was going to go the custom hope pro2 or evo wheels with most likely 729's, but that damn easton havoc DH set at PP for 330 bones or so seems like a great deal.

Thoughts? Any gotchas with these (easton) wheels?

Naturally, application is DH

mtbr member
    If that's your price point, what about the Sunlines that pop up on Chain**** every so often, or some Outlaws?

Edit: found the Sunlines on Dept of Goods for ~$360. The rim profile looks a LOT like the Havocs...
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Glad to Be Alive
    why don't you just buy new 823 halos and replace the set...I did that with rear...also rebuilt hubs too....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    why don't you just buy new 823 halos and replace the set...I did that with rear...also rebuilt hubs too....
    I could, actually the hoops are in decent shape, bit scratched up, but what ever, its the hubs that are concerning me...

My main aim though is having a spare wheel set.

We go to ride pretty much every 2-3weeks and stay at the hill for 2-3days straight riding, its a 6-7hr drive, and at the moment I don't have spare wheels. So if I crash or what ever and kill a wheel, my (or my wife's) ride is done, or I spend major dollars for a new wheel locally or rent bikes. So I'm ok with spending a few hundy on a new wheel set as insurance and I'd rather keep the wheels I have as a back up set (already rebuild the rear hub over the winter), its cheaper than sitting at the hill for a day or two twiddling my thumbs.

Originally I was going to get 823 or 729's laced to hope pro 2 evos from CRC, thats about $400 or so shipped, was just curious about teh easton wheels at pricepoint and if they were any good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've done some research on the exact same wheels you are talking about and for the price, they seem to be the ticket. From what I've ready they are super strong and are able to take repeated DH runs without issue. I am using them on my DH bike I just built up. First real test will be at Silverstar in 2 weeks. I'll report back when I have some time on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I too picked up a set from P.P. for my ride, this weekend will be the first test.

Kenny Powers
    I have no experience with the DH havocs, but I run the AM set on my nomad for 4 years. Beat the living crap out of them. Would pin it on Upper Garbanzo, killed it at hood river, and blasted black rock. Hit somebig jumps and bigger drops and they held up great. Then I started college at Chico State.

Where we ride itin Chico, it is super rocky. Soon I started to have spokes coming loose. I tried everything; they would be totally tight and I would lock tight the spokes, but they keep coming loose, at an interval of almost every two rides. I had enough after I trued me wheels one last time before a race and had two spokes fall out as I was riding and screw my race run. With the striaght pull design, they was no way to keep the spokes tight. Really pissed me off! But I don't know if the dh havocs are striaght pull. I can attest to the strength of the AM wheelset, it lasted a month and a half of hard riding every day (whistler for three weeks, oregon and washington for the other three) It just sucked that as soon as I got to chico the spokes would fall out no matter what I tried. End of rant....
    805/ 530

Uphill? What's that
    I have been using a pair for the last month with no problems so far. Just FYI i am not what you would call a smooth rider and i weigh 230 Lbs. and the wheels are still straight and the hubs are holding up too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Based on how impressed I am with the Easton EA90 XC wheels on my 29er are (they take a beating), I'd have to guess the Havoc's are pretty damn good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i've been on the am havocs for the past three years. ride a mix of xc/rooty/rocky/jumps/drops/crashes. never had to true 'em. if the dh ones are anywhere near as good it's a good buy for the $.

mtbr member
    Ive got a few months on my Havoc Dh wheelset.

Pro's: The closeout price. They seem strong and are holding up well. Higher quality then my Outlaws. They "feel" lighter then they are.

Con's: They are about 190 grams heavier then they advertise. Although it seems most of it is centered around the hubs and not the rims. So they pedal very good for the weight. Pain in the a$$ to true, as the spokes will turn with the wrench. Aluminum cassette body get chewed up by the cassette even when torqued to spec.

Overall I think they are a great buy for $350.

If you think you can
    Mine just arrived today. I should be able to give a review sometime down the road.

maker of trail
    Cool thanks for the responses, recon I'll probably go for it, cheers

If you think you can
    I'm very happy with mine. Surprised that I noticed such a difference from my saint/823 set up. It felt instantly quicker, lighter and snappier. I only have one ride on them sofar, but I noticed a big difference on that one ride. Headed to mammoth tomorrow so we'll see how they hold up.