Ancient Chinese Secret

Easton Havoc DH v. Outlaws?

Anyone have experience with either? The Havocs have 28 spokes, the Outlaws are 32 (but $50 more/set). I'm worried about only 28 spokes, can I get away with those? I'm a heavy rider and pretty hard on my wheelsets.

Thanks.

slap happy
    i think if you don't mind the weight penalty, then go with the Outlaws.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy View Post
    Anyone have experience with either? The Havocs have 28 spokes, the Outlaws are 32 (but $50 more/set). I'm worried about only 28 spokes, can I get away with those? I'm a heavy rider and pretty hard on my wheelsets.

Thanks.
    that says it all....go with the Outlaws
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I assume you are speaking of some old on-sale Havocs? Because the new ones price should not be anywhere near the Outlaws price point. I imagine Easton puts out a good product, always read good things, had some Easton bars. Never wheels though. I ran some Outlaws on my Sunday for over a year with no problems, they were my only wheelset no spares. I was never in a situation where I couldn't ride, maybe had to true them once. Outlaws are a good bet, but you probably couldn't go wrong with either choice.

maker of trail
    I threw up an earlier thread asking about the havocs, ended up getting a set, they seem nice, and pp had them on sale for 299 a set! Can't complain about that.

Not sure what you mean by "heavier", but I'm 190lb in my birthday suit and I'm not nice to my gear (I like to think I use it to do what its made for), so I'll throw up some thoughts after first ride this weekend!

First impressions though is the build quality of the havocs are far nice than the outlaws (buddy of mine has a set of the earlier ones).

Yeah they're 28 spokes, but they are 28 heavier gauge spokes than the outlaws, outlaws use 14g (1.6mm), the eastons use 2.3mm (which taper down to 2.0mm) spokes.

Only thing that was a bit odd, when I tightened down the rear axel, the free hub wasn't free... back the axel off a bit and it spins... odd... (150mm rear end)

If you think you can
    I have the havocs and really like them. The quality of them is much better than the outlaws. Havocs are hand built. My bike instantly felt quicker and snappier after switching out my 823's and saint wheels.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    The info says that the Havocs "are not tubeless compatible." Does anyone know why that is? Can you run the Outlaws tubeless?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    tubeless is ghey if youre serious about your dh riding, but if you really want tubless, ghetto tubeless works better for dh anyway

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    tubeless is ghey if youre serious about your dh riding, but if you really want tubless, ghetto tubeless works better for dh anyway
    Have you ever ridden DH using tubeless tires?

I haven't flatted on my DH bike is years since going tubeless. The closed thing to flat I've gotten was when a thorn punctured my tires. Pointed the puncture towards the ground and the Stan's took care of the rest. To this day those UST Minion hold air better than any tubed tired.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    New 2011 Havocs are same weight as '10/11 Oulaws 2400g pair but they are way more expensive.
    The older ones are pigs with over 2600g pair weight and are on sale in few places.

I went with Outlaws for the weight and color Don't think any of those would compare to Hope/823 hoops I had, but new frame is 150mm so Outlaws seemed as the best option for replacement on a cheap. Matching color is bonus.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

Stray Bullet
    2010 Havoc DH wheels for $299.98!

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/210...p=365%20EASDH9

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have those exact wheels (Havoc DH) from pricepoint. I put on some time at Silver Star Resort and Whistler this past month and they didn't miss a beat. I weigh 210 right now but i tend to think i am a smoother rider...at least that is what i go for. My friend (170lbs) bought the outlaw wheelset and in one day the rims where wobbling (not even on any crazy trails). maybe a statistical anomaly but thought you should know. I've read that you have to stay on top of keeping the spokes tight on the outlaws. my havoc's are straight as an arrow and haven't even had a thought of tightening the spokes.

havoc Dh for the win!

on the topic of flats, I use tubes and haven't had a flat in years.

mtbr member
    I have outlaws on both the jump bike and the freeride bike and for the price, you really can't beat them. I have nailed them pretty good and they are as straight and true as when I originally bought them new.

maker of trail
    I just went and checked, cos I couldn't find info on it, but the havoc rims don't have a seam, so I'm going out on a limb and say they are welded, vs outlaws (at least my buddies ones) are pinned, and he crash on his first run in them, tacoed the front, and the rim came apart at the pins. It did get replaced under warrantee no worries, and he hasn't had a problem with them since. I will say that!

So the welded vs pinned rims might sway you one way or the other.

Edit I should also say he was a big lad at the time, 350 or so bombing down hill like a mad man...

Ancient Chinese Secret
    I'm 190 the way God made me. I am hard on wheels, I ride North* and run low air pressure. Need to buy wheels anyhow, I have friends running UST and love it. Makes the bike more flickable when airborne (not as much mass) supposedly. Yes, we're talking about Pricepoint, $299 for 2010 Havocs, $349 for 2011 Outlaws.

I've been running 729's on Hadley hubs with double ply tubes and tires. I have totally abused them over 4 years @ North* and Whizzler with many direct rock hits on low pressure, they are pretty clapped out now. So, I need some options and I would like the OPTION to run UST if possible. Minion UST's are only $45 right now, need a set before heading to BC anyhow, might as well try out UST while I'm at it.

I need 20 mm front, 12 mm rear with 150mm rear hub, so I think these and the Outlaws are the most cost-effective options. Color choices are cool on the Outlaws, but I'm going with black anyhow, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Welded vs Pinned: New Outlaws rims are Welded & Pinned (according to Azonic website). Not sure if it started from 2011 or 2010 however.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Wait!

Save your money and wait until these come out in December http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feat...nhill-Wheel,68 , granted you have wheels on your ride already.