mtbr member

Easton Havoc AM for light DH?

I was set on buying a set of Outlaws for my new Transition Blindside build, but I just saw the Easton Havoc AM wheel set on pricepoint for dirt cheap. I need the AM and not the DH because of rear spacing. Will the Easton's hold up to light DH (fast rocky trails, rock gardens, 4 foot drops/jumps) or should I go Outlaws? I currently run Hopes laced to Mavic 521s and they have been pretty good except for a flat spot and a slight wobble after 2 and a half years.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am 210lb without gear and ran the Havoc am's on my Nomad for 2 season with zero issues so i would not have any problems recommending them and thought they were a great wheel set and at $219 they are kind of hard to pass up, Good luck either way you go.

If you think you can
    I don't know about the havoc am, but I have the havoc dh. I ride pretty hard, I'm smother than I used to be, but still have my moments, and my rear rim is destroyed. Its got a big flat spot, multiple dings and its been trued too many times. So, maybe for light dh? But I wouldn't personally try it with my type of riding.

SLO Town
    Jun 2011
    I think that i would go with the outlaws. If you are going to be bombing down rockgardens you will be happy you have the beefier wheel.
    That being said one of my friends has the havoc am and rides them on everything from dh trails to dirt jumps and they seem to be holding up really well. He is around 165 geared so maybe that plays apart in making them last.
    If you are going to be pedaling your blindside or you are somewhat lightweight i think the havocs would be great for you, if not get the outlaws.

mtbr member
    Without gear, I weigh 160. So I might go with the havocs, the 24 spokes kinda scares me though

banned
    Sep 2011
    i flatspotted many at 50+psi, even a tiny case will do ya
    219 is a deal tho
    I use them for my xc/am bike, too fragile for anything rough

mtbr member
    IMHO, for the terrain that you describe, you need wheels with at least 28 spokes. I don't know how aggressive you are, but I would go with beefier wheels and tires just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Will the Easton's hold up to light DH (fast rocky trails, rock gardens, 4 foot drops/jumps) or should I go Outlaws? I currently run Hopes laced to Mavic 521s and they have been pretty good except for a flat spot and a slight wobble after 2 and a half years.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode with Easton AM for a week straight in Whistler on my Nomad without issue.... handled everythig I threw at them from rock and root gardens, 6+ foot drops, big air on Aline - you name it...

I am about to buy my second pair for my Jackal.

For the price - I think they are a killer deal.

As for the Outlaws - I have heard second-hand about hubs blowing up.... rims may be super strong, but it sounds like the hubs are crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nponto View Post
    IMHO, for the terrain that you describe, you need wheels with at least 28 spokes. I don't know how aggressive you are, but I would go with beefier wheels and tires just to be on the safe side.
    230 lbs and been beating on my crossmax sx wheels (point is they are 24 spoke) and hammered them into several rocks as well as mashed berms and rocks to corner so far so good. Done drops and g-outs as well as rock gardens and they are doing well so far.

I'm sure 24 spoke will hold for a fair amount of beating the real issue is the rim itself.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    they're talking about the older havocs. I don't think those are 24 spoke

dirt visionary
    He was giving an example ..Amount of spokes doesn't equal strength ..A good rim a proper handbuilt wheel will be much better than any machine built wheel.

I don't know why anyone hasn't recomended he just relace his hope hubs to new rims/spokes..In the end much better wheelset IMO.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    He was giving an example ..Amount of spokes doesn't equal strength ..A good rim a proper handbuilt wheel will be much better than any machine built wheel.

I don't know why anyone hasn't recomended he just relace his hope hubs to new rims/spokes..In the end much better wheelset IMO.
    I know but he was stating spoke count so i addressed it and went with the most critical which is rim.

And yeas a proper built wheel set is bull it proof but I think his cost is the issue.
    My Sponsor House

dirt visionary
    I was talking about yodys comment after your post.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Well, this is a Xmas present so price and easiness is the primary factor. The wheels have been bought, though I am getting more skeptical, and time will tell how long they last. I will keep my old wheels and if the Easton's die quickly, I can build up the Hope hubs to some stronger rims. Thanks for the replies everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I was talking about yodys comment after your post.
    Damn you and your logic.
    Lol
    My Sponsor House

Glad to Be Alive
    drops and such...get the Outlaws...then you don't have to worry as much...locals have beat the havocs up bad...I would never ride them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Thank you for clarifying my statement.

I didn't quite say it eloquently and you guys are absolutely right, spoke count doesn't equal strength. I would even go further clarifying my statement even more; assuming that you are comparing aples to aples, that is the same rim, the same hand built, the same riding style, the same rider's weight, the same trail, etc (you name it), I would argue that the ones with more spoke count will stay true longer (maybe even last longer).

Cheers
    Happy riding

Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    230 lbs and been beating on my crossmax sx wheels (point is they are 24 spoke) and hammered them into several rocks as well as mashed berms and rocks to corner so far so good. Done drops and g-outs as well as rock gardens and they are doing well so far.

I'm sure 24 spoke will hold for a fair amount of beating the real issue is the rim itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got my havocs because they were cheap and i was on a budget. Once I trued them a couple times they have stayed true. I am about 165 ready to ride and don't avoid rock so i have dented the rim but nothing an adjustable wrench couldn't straiten out. They have handled anything I can through at them from long xc rides to downhill and dirt jumping. They have impressed me with the amount of abuse they have taken for how inexpensive they were.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid spandex View Post
    i flatspotted many at 50+psi, even a tiny case will do ya
    219 is a deal tho
    I use them for my xc/am bike, too fragile for anything rough
    anyone know where to get these for 219?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolisbad1 View Post
    anyone know where to get these for 219?
    I got mine at pricepoint but they have gone up since. Last I looked they were 250 but that was before Xmas. Mounted mine up and taking them out today, we will see how they do!

squish is good
    Zombie thread!!!! Sorry to bump it but I bought a set of these wheels blind based on price and threw em on my Reign X and have had ZERO issues riding them on black diamond freeride trails at Duthie Hill here in beautiful Washington state. I'm around 190 no gear and have definitely overshot more than a few transitions and dropped to flat more than I should. Wheels are true and no flatspots after 4 months of nasty riding every weekend. For the price I'm ecstatic about their performance. IMO they've already payed for themselves and I intend to ride them for years if they hold up. 24 spokes does not seem to be a problem here.
    Bike good, work bad.