Thread: E.13 Problem?

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007

E.13 Problem?

YOU BE THE JUDGE, I WAS ABLE TO GET IT BACK INTO PLACE, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Last edited by downhiller12345; 06-19-2007 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    so, what happened?

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    the rubber chain roller (underneath the "e" of the e.13 in the second pic must have been smashed by a log or rock up into the swing arm of the vp free. you can see in the first pic: look at the line the chain makes, it is curved because the plastic piece is jammed in there. I would think that e.13 would make the piece out of the way, so things don't get hung up on it. I hope that makes sense?

General Rabble-Rouser
    ouch

it's tough, but not indestructible. a hefty smash on a rock will break anything. can see fresh aluminum in the last pic.

-> SickLines.com <-
    When you mount a chainguide to the bottom bracket, you'll be hard pressed to find any chain guide that wouldn't shift on impact.
    I'd be complaining that your frame doesn't have ISCG tabs, which is really the root of your problem.

E.13 doesn't design a special guide for every single bike so what you're asking for is near impossible (a perfect scenario). You could perhaps get a wider spindle for the bottom bracket and space the guide out if you really wanted it to clear but i'm not sure what that would do with your chainline.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes it does suck, get an mrp, or even better,gamut

N* Bomber Crew
    I'll sell you my e13 DRS .
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

moaaar shimz
    I read that the tensioner must be above the chainguide and that E13 encourages users to modify their guides to fit their frames, I say you could dremel a bit of that plastic to fit it properly

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    When you mount a chainguide to the bottom bracket, you'll be hard pressed to find any chain guide that wouldn't shift on impact.
    I'd be complaining that your frame doesn't have ISCG tabs, which is really the root of your problem.

E.13 doesn't design a special guide for every single bike so what you're asking for is near impossible (a perfect scenario). You could perhaps get a wider spindle for the bottom bracket and space the guide out if you really wanted it to clear but i'm not sure what that would do with your chainline.
    I have ISCG tabs and did the same thing... after 2 years. I'm guide free and haven't been dealing w/ the issues that made me put the DRS there in the first place.

I won't hesitate to put another DRS on. 2 years isn't bad.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    my SRS does the same thing on my bottlerocket. I just tightened the bolts down really tight and keep and eye on it to see if it is starting to move. I haven't had to adjust it very often

Florida Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    Yes it does suck, get an mrp, or even better,gamut
    Ur a dumbass.

To the original poster: Im guessing you either set it up wrong or hit something with it. Just becuase you smash it off of a rock or log does not mean it sucks.

rockin the mid-west
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    I read that the tensioner must be above the chainguide and that E13 encourages users to modify their guides to fit their frames, I say you could dremel a bit of that plastic to fit it properly
    i had to do that for my bighit
    [SIZE="4"]PUNK FOR LIFE[/SIZE]
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

Pro Crastinator
    this fine thread has been brought to you by another retard to add to the ignore list....

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    this fine thread has been brought to you by another retard to add to the ignore list....

Yep.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.

I'm glad to see this forum is filled with egotistical brown eye ****ers who like to open their mouth when they have no helpful advice! F off!

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Yep.
    Must suck to have one hand. Your boyfriend must like the fake one up his ass though!

Florida Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrobert81
    I'm glad to see this forum is filled with egotistical brown eye ****ers who like to open their mouth when they have no helpful advice! F off!
    You are contributing lots!!

Florida Rider
    Must suck to have one hand. Your boyfriend must like the fake one up his ass though!

mtbr member

perfectly normal....

Just part of having a chainguide. It's gonna shift around when you smack it into stuff.
    Better that that twisting and wrenching up your tabs brazed onto the BB shell.

mtbr member
    might seem daft but hey ive seen far worse.

if you crashed your car into a tree at say 30-40mph wearing your seatbelt of course,is it then that you would blame the car maker or yourself,i also doubt very much that you would be driving home either because of the damage caused.

so i suppose i will get to the point,mountain biking is hard on parts and bikes and me when i fall of,when i smash into things and break stuff its my fault not the companys product.

maybe in future instead of flaming,engage your brain and look at the possibility that your not as good a rider as you thought you were,and that stuff does break,or get tweaked.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    might seem daft but hey ive seen far worse.

if you crashed your car into a tree at say 30-40mph wearing your seatbelt of course,is it then that you would blame the car maker or yourself,i also doubt very much that you would be driving home either because of the damage caused.

so i suppose i will get to the point,mountain biking is hard on parts and bikes and me when i fall of,when i smash into things and break stuff its my fault not the companys product.

maybe in future instead of flaming,engage your brain and look at the possibility that your not as good a rider as you thought you were,and that stuff does break,or get tweaked.

Dude, I openly said "I hit a rock" so i think that = my fault. I just don't see why e.13 could not see that having the chain guide hang down under the bashgaurd is a bad idea. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem/what they have done to fix it? I wonder why everyone is so agro? maybe it is because some of you spend all your time posting in chatrooms with 4,000 post counts, instead of riding?

mtbr member
    1,256 with this one.

yes its a bad idea but thats the price you have to pay for a secure chain,as thats where the chain exits the ring.

or i suppose you could file or grind the excess of.

i did think why not spring load the chainguide so in the event of a knock it could move and spring back but seems costly,and heavy.

if by any chance somebody steals this idea can you just stamp p,m in the bash please.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    That's actually a good idea!!!

mtbr member
    That's actually a good idea!!!
    bugger i knew i should of kept quiet.

Premium Member
    You just need to rotate your guide by dremeling it.