mtbr member
    Mar 2005

DX32 vs Trailpimp

which of these do you think is the strongest and best for jumping and urban stuff? also, any idea how much they are? i can't find the prices anywhere.

Authority is dead!
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavinYo
    which of these do you think is the strongest and best for jumping and urban stuff? also, any idea how much they are? i can't find the prices anywhere.
    Neither one. Sun Intense Mag 30 or Sun MTX. Best rim for the price, weight, and strength. MTX (34mm wide) is pretty much a smaller version of Mag 30 (39mm wide).

Both have extra thick tire bead hooks, which keeps pinch flats to a min. and makes the rim stronger against hitting it on crap.

Many people claim both rims are some of the best in preventing flat spotting too. Never get a flat rim for urban riding (I learned my lesson on that!) always use the triangular rims. They don't flat spot as easily.

If you buy the Mag 30 off jensonusa.com and buy the spoke and hub from them too, they will build it for free. It costs $40-50 in labor alone to have someone else build it up. Just make sure to have the jenson rim re-tensioned after 2 weeks or so by a bike mechanic. I believe Jenson uses a machine builder, which doesn't do the best job in the world at keeping even tensions, but still a nice cheap way to get the sucker all laced up. It's important to have it retensioned after a few rides by your LBS mechanic ($10-20, depending on the shop).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    actually nevermind, i just got a pretty sweet deal on some halo combats.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Agreed.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    If you buy the Mag 30 off jensonusa.com and buy the spoke and hub from them too, they will build it for free..
    Wait a sec.....free nipples? All right!
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Trailpimps suck...

The above minor ding killed the wheel when it cracked after I attempted to bend it back. My bent and bashed D321's are still going.

Mike

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartman
    Trailpimps suck...

The above minor ding killed the wheel when it cracked after I attempted to bend it back. My bent and bashed D321's are still going.

Mike
    Aluminum has a really bad fatique life. Bending it back is not always a good idea. Ask anyone who has ever straigtened more than a handful of derailleur hangers. Anyway, my 24" Trailpimps are still rolling great.
    Trestle Bike Park

michigan sucks
    it looks like you nailed a curb and had a flat tire, not many rims would take that(if that is what happened.
    TUCK AND ROLL FATTY!!!!!!

mtbr member
    It was on a DH race run and I hit a big rock. It didn't go flat. I bent it back and it survived a while but eventually the air pressure pushed out the sidewall of the rim. It was about the time the TP freehub chunked itself.

I have similar dents in my D321's but since the sidewalls are shorter and thicker they aren't bent so far over they won't hold a bead.

If you run TP's for street use lot's of air pressure. I don't recommend them for off-road use.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dartman
    It was on a DH race run and I hit a big rock. It didn't go flat. I bent it back and it survived a while but eventually the air pressure pushed out the sidewall of the rim. It was about the time the TP freehub chunked itself.

I have similar dents in my D321's but since the sidewalls are shorter and thicker they aren't bent so far over they won't hold a bead.

If you run TP's for street use lot's of air pressure. I don't recommend them for off-road use.

Mike
    That's why the Sun Mag30 and MTX rims are so sweet. They have an extra 2mm thick side wall bead hook than other rims. Thus less likely to fold in the sidewall.

I just upgraded to the MTX rim in back and had it build for me by Lance Armstrong's former bike mechanic. He was really impressed with the design of the rim (believe me, this guy knows rims!) and noted how it had an extra thick bead hook. He thinks it should hold up to the stupid crap I do to my rims, unlike my rhynolite POS rim.

Pro Crastinator
    my 3 year old DX32's say they are the best....

never had any issues, unlike the rest of the crappy rims in this thread.....

"originally quoted by WCH; an overweight, overabusive killer of ordinary wheelsets"