Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Glad to Be Alive

DVO SUSPENSION Emerald Review...

Been riding mine for 2 weeks and this is what I have so far. Trails have been bumpy, rockgardens, and turns. No drops so far. Will have more reviews in a few more weeks. Plus two other rider reviews.

Background:
    I like to set my fork up super soft. The only problem with that is the fork dives in the corners. If you make your fork stiff then you lose small bumb sensitivity. Fork will bounce through the chatter. It is hard to find a balance between brake dive and small bump sensitivity.

The Emerald solves that problem. you set your fork a little stiff (at least for my riding..then they have this knob on the top left of fork (Called OTT=Off The Top) that you turn in...(This is important because I went wrong way in beginning). You think logically you would back off...but you tighten the OTT for more small bump sensitivity...and oh Nelly !!! this softens up the first few inches of travel...so you get the small bump sensitivity without brake dive into corners.

What I have found so far. Is the fork tracks amazingly through the chatter. You don't feel the arm pump as much because the fork absorbs the bumps like crazy. Very nice feel in heavy rock gardens.

Cornering is a new story for me. I am use to brake dive because the way I set up forks soft. So it took me a few runs to get use to it. (ok more then a few) because I was "springing out of the turn. First thing is when you trust the fork you can feel the momentum coming out of a bermed turn. So you actually ride faster because of this energy carries you to the straitaway.

So far I love the fork. The cons are the price and the weight. The weight is 7.11 pounds, but honestly, you don't feel the difference of the added weight. I understand why DVO made the fork a little heavier then most forks. DVO can't make something very lite because if it failed then they would be out of business. The price is up there too, but I remember complaining buying a 500 dollar bike and now I buy over $5,000.00 dollar bikes. If you told me 13 years ago that I would be spending that kind of dough I would have laughed. Hopefully they can get a better pricepoint when more are available.

Sidenote 1: compared to the Dorado. The Emerald is stiffer and more plush. Plus in 2 years of research the Emerald hasn't had one seal go bad - like some other forks

Sidenote 2: I always compare things to a Shiver because they were so plush. I said things like it feels plush like a Shiver. This fork is better then a Shiver...way better. I found my home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVO SUSPENSION Emerald Review...-bobv10.jpg  

the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Been riding mine for 2 weeks....

........ Plus in 2 years of research the Emerald hasn't had one seal go bad - like some other forks
    The fork just came out and you've only had it for 2 weeks, so how can you come up with that conclusion?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    The fork just came out and you've only had it for 2 weeks, so how can you come up with that conclusion?
    asked Ronnie at DVO.....that is why I wrote 2 years of research
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slap happy crappiness
    Which other forks that fouled seals during their "two years of research" do you speak of?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Which other forks that fouled seals during their "two years of research" do you speak of?
    boxxers, dorados

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crank Brothers Kronolog also was perfect in its "years of research".
    Just saying during "research time, they won't disclose what went wrong. Everything is good and working

bg.
    mtbr member
    Ronnie at DVO knows his ****. If he says two year no failure than that's what it has been.

bg.
    mtbr member
    I'm looking at this fork or the Marz 380.
    Price isn't the problem, but the weight difference is. What I'm looking at is 3250g (Emerald with brace) vs. 2750g (380). That's a 1/2 kg difference (more than 1lbs).

Professional Troll
    The DVO uses almost identical seals as the Dorado does.

Also, if you're worried about a pound on a DH fork, you got your priorities all out of whack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post

Also, if you're worried about a pound on a DH fork, you got your priorities all out of whack.
    You would be surprised what Cat 1 Mid pack racers are worried about on their DH bikes. Forget the fact they wouldn't have stood a chance in Semi Pro but they can barely get a top 5 in what is Expert. but they are sure a 3LBS bike will make them better than NICO ever was.....

Glad to Be Alive
    you don't notice on bike (at least I don't) feels the same as lighter forks (but it is hard to feel a 10 oz difference while riding - 888 ti vs DVO Emerald)

Glad to Be Alive

so what you are saying is not the same but almost identical???

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    You would be surprised what Cat 1 Mid pack racers are worried about on their DH bikes. Forget the fact they wouldn't have stood a chance in Semi Pro but they can barely get a top 5 in what is Expert. but they are sure a 3LBS bike will make them better than NICO ever was.....
    true true...people are crazy about weight but won't train

bg.
    mtbr member
    I agree that weight isn't everything, but 500g isn't nothing either.

I would probably notice the weight more than I would notice better suspension performance, when compared to a 380.

Living the High Life
    you don't notice on bike (at least I don't) feels the same as lighter forks (but it is hard to feel a 10 oz difference while riding - 888 ti vs DVO Emerald)
    My Dorado feels lighter than the 888 and 40 I've had. They are pretty much all the same; 6.75 lbs or so. The invert gives less feed back/force/whatever on bumps as there is less weight bouncing around on the wheel side of the suspension.

Too bad that DVO is so expensive. Looks like a great fork.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    My Dorado feels lighter than the 888 and 40 I've had. They are pretty much all the same; 6.75 lbs or so. The invert gives less feed back/force/whatever on bumps as there is less weight bouncing around on the wheel side of the suspension.

Too bad that DVO is so expensive. Looks like a great fork.
    my 888 ti weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces with axle, and stem. The Emerald weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces

agree on feed back...less unsprung weight

mtbr member
    my 888 ti weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces with axle, and stem. The Emerald weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces

agree on feed back...less unsprung weight
    I am selling my Fox 40 Float will replace with an Emerald and do a review of it while I have it. Going with a Black version for the baby blue G2.

Uphill? What's that
    Sweet looking ride you got there SMT. What handle bar is that.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Sweet looking ride you got there SMT. What handle bar is that.
    Already have some different parts like a CCDB and Ti Spring for shock
    Those are Azonic Flow bars

Azonic Flow 800mm 1" Rise Handlebar > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Mountain Bike Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Pro Crastinator
    maybe it's the angle, but that looks like a whole lot more than a one inch rise...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review, I should be getting mine later this week. On a side note about Dorados my friend's fork which is barely 6 months old is leaking oil bad from both legs. I also had a shiver back in the day and it will be nice to see how they compare to me.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    maybe it's the angle, but that looks like a whole lot more than a one inch rise...
    That's why I asked about them , they look like they have 2" of rise in that picture.

Pro Crastinator
    somehow i knew that "plush" would be pretty much the extent of your review. i have to admit, you are quite the wordsmith...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Background:
    I like to set my fork up super soft. The only problem with that is the fork dives in the corners. If you make your fork stiff then you lose small bumb sensitivity. Fork will bounce through the chatter. It is hard to find a balance between brake dive and small bump sensitivity.
    Disagree completely with that one. You can set a fork up to be stiff and have support while retaining its small bump, it may be harder to do with external adjusters for some people, but its possible and once you crack open the fork and adjust the shim stack its very possible.

sounds good though, been keen to hear a long term review of it. More importantly if you still have the old forks do some back to back timed testing to see if it improves your times.

The OTT is cool though essentially its a negative spring that it adjusted independently of the rest of the forks pressure.
    Good site with some quick explanations of the fork
    Video: Get Up Close With the DVO Emerald

mtbr member
    Has any manufacturer ever gone 'Oh Hell we broke like a million of these things in testing,' when asked how their new product performed during development?

Quality looks fantastic on the DVO fork, but to me '2 years of research and no failures,' should be read as '2 years of of inappropriate research,'

Like the Challenger's SRB O Rings always passed the testing without failure. Not that DVO is anything like NASA, it's just the best example of research and development failing to reflect reality I can think of.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 02-11-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast