Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    FYI, that 125/150 is ~ 5.36 (Maxima) and 5.25 (Spectro). Avalanche specs 85/150 which works out to ~ 3.51 (Maxima) and 3.82 (Spectro). I used Showa SS7 in my old 888 w/ an Avy cart, 3.77.

I'm thinking unless the oil is contaminated, a thorough clean won't be necessary...just a full drain (and you'll be able to see if there's any crap in it) then replace w/ lighter.
    Also do NOT use the Maxima stuff with the DVO or the Dorado as a general FYI. The BelRay stuff should be fine. Spectro and Motul are both fine too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    That 16 in your 3rd stage of the stack is not doing anything noticeable for you, guarantee it. Basically you're expecting the 2nd 18mm to flex up and bend up the 17mm enough for the 16mm to have noticeable support on it?? Doubtful. If it were a single stage, maybe, but your other two stages are allowing plenty of port opening and modulation towards the outside, independent of a 3rd stage intermediate shim.

If you're noticing increased high speed support, that's work being done by the 20/19/18 in the second stage, which is a pretty dense stack, compared to the rest of the valve.

There is only about 15cc of oil going through that valve. If the rod diameter were WAY larger and displacing more oil through it, maybe....but even then, still not likely.
    Okay, I'll take your word for what it's worth. If that 16 isn't doing anything, than no harm/no foul. But pulling it out of the rebound stack did do something...something pretty nice IMO...or maybe I'm on glue...who knows. But, the fork is very noticeably more open now. And, for what it's worth, I'm leaving it w/ the posted tune.

BTW, I referred to this site when I decided to break up the 0.15mm thick shim into three...there's an equivalency table above the ordering part, towards the bottom of the page (Avy's moto side, sister page): Revalving Shims

Actually, I need to add in some other bit of info:
    The manual called for 330ml of oil and I think this is a bit much. When I cracked open the fork, I drained ~300ml of oil from it. But when I filled it w/ the lighter stuff, I brought it back up to 330. This made the fork ramp up too drasticallly towards the end of stroke, and I wasn't able to get into the last inch of its travel. I think I have it down to ~305ml now, and am able to dip into that last inch off of a 10 ft drop into good transition now. That said, if you're throwing 75/80ft WC level gaps into chunks, it might be okay for you. Me, the biggest I was bootin' was ~60 w/ a good tranny on landing.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664 View Post
    @Pau11y
    why you say the dvo is overdamped? do you think dvo engineer sale a $2200 fork overdamped where is two years testet and have such a big internet promotion $$... ?
    than they failed full with the emerald product!!
    Dood, their own site has set up a tuning howto...from what I gathered, they expect you to tweak and tinker. THAT is actually an incredibly wise thing for them to do! I don't consider what you seem to suggest...an engineering failure. But, how's about you rethink your own perspective on what they're doing...elevating ppl's tech know how. To me, it's a TOTAL WIN! And oh yeah, they prob had WC racers test their stuff, while a pretty good segment of ppl who buy these forks are NOT at that level.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Dood, their own site has set up a tuning howto...from what I gathered, they expect you to tweak and tinker. THAT is actually an incredibly wise thing for them to do! I don't consider what you seem to suggest...an engineering failure. But, how's about you rethink your own perspective on what they're doing...elevating ppl's tech know how. To me, it's a TOTAL WIN! And oh yeah, they prob had WC racers test their stuff, while a pretty good segment of ppl who buy these forks are NOT at that level.
    and after your tuning the fork is not longer degressive? is it now progressive, soft in the begining and ramp up?

ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Right. 0.1's are great for forks, especially for LS shims in either direction.

Did you ever try the same comp stack as stock but with 0.1's instead of 0.15's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Did you ever try the same comp stack as stock but with 0.1's instead of 0.15's?
    No, the thinking is it would be WAY too light...seeing as how there are 2, 21 x 0.15, and if that conversion table is correct, that would be 6, 21 x 0.10s.

Why I tapered it was I was trying to not affect the HSC as much, while getting the flex to play more during LSC events. I figured w/ the lighter oil, the HSC would work out correctly (more open) if I didn't mess w/ it much while the LSC would be more open due to the larger shims flexing out of the way easier/faster/more. The 1st stage doesn't have much to go before it bumped into the 2nd stage, where I guessed the mid-stroke would/should kick in. This is where the bulk of my issues were (LSC and, for a lack of a better term, MSC). The high speed did soften up a bit too, but it wasn't so much where I bottomed the fork off of every huck. Actually, I have yet to feel the fork bottom, even w/ the lighter oil and the lighter shims.

For my weight and where/how I ride, it's pretty damn spot-on.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Off the back...
    Still tinkering with mine. Rocky chunder at medium speed is easily handled, and I'm feeling better about Whizzler braking bumps too. I think I may need to look at compression next...

mtbr member
    nice
    Last edited by 8664; 08-05-2014 at 12:01 PM.

ride.

mtbr member

Idea!

My little contribution to get consistent results with your OTT adjustments:

Always start with a fork having the same configuration, with known air pressures in both legs.

This is the easiest procedure for the Emerald:

-Unscrew the top cap of the damping side (right leg)
    -Release the air pressure of the spring side (left leg)
    -Compress the fork fully down
    -Unscrew the top cap of the spring side to release any negative air pressure
    -Close the cap of the spring side with the fork fully compressed down
    -Set the required OTT
    -Pump the fork to the required air pressure
    -Close the cap of the damping side with the fork fully extended

By doing this you always get the same negative air pressure on the upper
    part of the spring side and get no negative air pressure on upper part of the damping side.

This procedure also avoids screwing the spring cap with seals and other parts under pressure.

For the next OTT adjustments, just release the air pressure, turn the knob and set the air pressure again.

mtbr member
    nice
    Last edited by 8664; 08-05-2014 at 11:57 AM.

ride.

mtbr member
    Use oil level instead of volume for the amount of oil you have in the damping side of your Emerald, measuring the height of the oil in the leg is far more accurate than the volume of oil you actually pour in the leg and the one staying the jar.

How to proceed:
    -Unscrew the top cap of the damping side (right leg)
    -Release the air pressure of the spring side (left leg)
    -Compress the fork fully down
    -Unscrew the top cap of the spring side
    -Pull the damping rod completely out and measure the distance between the upper part of the tube and the oil level.
    -Adjust the oil level according to your needs
    -Pump the fork back to the required air pressure
    -Close the cap of the damping side with the fork fully extended

This measurement will help you to adjust the air chamber on the top of the damping side of the Emerald (right leg). This air chamber has a strong effect on the last part of the travel of the fork. You paid for 203 mm of travel, why not use it completely?
    If your fork is working perfectly on the upper and middle part of the travel, but you’re not using the whole travel, you can remove some mm of oil and increase the air chamber. The opposite if you want to be more progressive or avoid bottoming.

mtbr member
    best fork ever!!
    DVO SUSPENSION Emerald Review...-p5pb11265005.jpg
    DVO SUSPENSION Emerald Review...-p5pb11264733.jpg
    Last edited by 8664; 08-10-2014 at 10:54 AM.

ride.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7