Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dorado owner here
    I can attest to the leaking seals. I love the feel and adjustability, the seals are junk though. Hayes Manitou customer service is Bad. They won't even return my calls.
    Great to hear you are loving the DVO, never hurts to have more quality players in the suspension game.

Off the back...
    Wow, these things are tough to find north of the 49th. One Alberta dealer in Edmonton (eww), 2 (!) In all of BC. I'm going to have to smuggle one in from the US...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5 View Post
    I also had a shiver back in the day and it will be nice to see how they compare to me.
    IMO ...Way better then the Shiver ...way better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Has any manufacturer ever gone 'Oh Hell we broke like a million of these things in testing,' when asked how their new product performed during development?

Quality looks fantastic on the DVO fork, but to me '2 years of research and no failures,' should be read as '2 years of of inappropriate research,'

Like the Challenger's SRB O Rings always passed the testing without failure. Not that DVO is anything like NASA, it's just the best example of research and development failing to reflect reality I can think of.
    They been testing the fork for over a year and a half....they could have released it, but wanted to make sure everythinbg was up to par as far as duralbilty and such. I can trust Ronnie...He told me a lot when 2 Marz 888's broke at Red Bull Rampage
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

DenverDH'er
    Your last paragraph is what I was waiting for. I too, was a hard core Shiver fan, and nothing since that fork has felt as plush. I may have to look into one of these. Thanks for the review. Keep us posted as the season progresses.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=SHIVER ME TIMBERS;10988825]Been riding mine for 2 weeks and this is what I have so far. Trails have been bumpy, rockgardens, and turns. No drops so far.

Your homeowners association called. Your neighbors are complaining about your riding on the landscaping, and leaving skid marks on their lawns, and riding in the neighborhood after dark without reflectors...
    When are you going to take that thing out for real ride, put on a few scratches, and some dirt!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post
    Dorado owner here
    I can attest to the leaking seals. I love the feel and adjustability, the seals are junk though. Hayes Manitou customer service is Bad. They won't even return my calls.
    Great to hear you are loving the DVO, never hurts to have more quality players in the suspension game.
    Did you store the fork upside down? I did that for a few months and my seals went to poo. Sent it back to Hayes for the 1 year free service and it's fine now (as I store it the way the instructions say to).
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    Plus in 2 years of research the Emerald hasn't had one seal go bad - like some other forks

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. A few test forks didnt leak oil.... good to know. Lets wait and see how the seals perform in the field before statements like this are made.

Side note, you cant store Dorados upside down(that means hanging too). Most people dont know this and the seals start leaking after 6 months. Properly taken care of, the seals last a few years.

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I literally laughed out loud when I read this. A few test forks didnt leak oil.... good to know. Lets wait and see how the seals perform in the field before statements like this are made.

We're all so used to crap seals.

Back in the day a Shiver would go 2+ years on the same seals no problem.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by bg. View Post
    We're all so used to crap seals.

Back in the day a Shiver would go 2+ years on the same seals no problem.
    I have gone 4 years on a lyrik, 3 on a manitou minute, and am going on 3 on a revelation. Not a single drop has leaked out. Proper maintenance keeps forks alive for a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That was a good read. OP: Thank you for the review.
    Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Pro Crastinator
    I have gone 4 years on a lyrik, 3 on a manitou minute, and am going on 3 on a revelation. Not a single drop has leaked out. Proper maintenance keeps forks alive for a long time.
    i ran a 2000 Monster T untill 2007 without a single issue. just changed the oil every summer. not a matter of "proper maintenance", marz forks are straight up 'set and forget' and we are all aware that it's the norm. their forks just last forever compared to any other offering out there. sure your forks may have lasted minute with all that maintenance you did on them, but marz owners never have to touch theirs and they still last longer...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i ran a 2000 Monster T untill 2007 without a single issue. just changed the oil every summer. not a matter of "proper maintenance", marz forks are straight up 'set and forget' and we are all aware that it's the norm. their forks just last forever compared to any other offering out there. sure your forks may have lasted minute with all that maintenance you did on them, but marz owners never have to touch theirs and they still last longer...
    yeah had a 2002 Shiver till 2006...just changed the oil every year...never did anything else....they just last without replacing seals or other stuff

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    yeah had a 2002 Shiver till 2006...just changed the oil every year...never did anything else....they just last without replacing seals or other stuff
    Pink bike blew a seal in their test........

My point is that saying a fork that has been out for a few weeks has great seals is a ridiculous statement. Only time in the feild can determine this. Not a good start in the field when a seal blows during a test. They may turn out to be great, but we wont know for about a year of real world testing.

beater

DVO SUSPENSION Emerald Review...

Pink bike blew a seal in their test........
    I just read that. What they wrote was that a seal had gotten folded over during assembly. It didn't blow.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I just read that. What they wrote was that a seal had gotten folded over during assembly. It didn't blow.
    Doroados had a guy installing the oil seal upside down for a while making them go bad quicker. Thats life. Leaky seal is a leaky seal.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    What does that matter to the end user? They still have to jump through all the same hoops of bad seal. Seems like they're having QC issues with assembly already, on a test fork designated for an write-up lots of people will read none-the-less....

Also, I'm not trying to bash DVO here, every company has their growing pains and seems like DVO has a strong first showing anyways. I just like messing with Bob and all his "super-informed reviews..."
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    What does that matter to the end user? They still have to jump through all the same hoops of bad seal. Seems like they're having QC issues with assembly already, on a test fork designated for an write-up lots of people will read none-the-less....

Also, I'm not trying to bash DVO here, every company has their growing pains and seems like DVO has a strong first showing anyways. I just like messing with Bob and all his "super-informed reviews..."
    To that particular end user, it doesn't matter at all, obviously. But to the overall pool of end users, I think it makes a difference whether you're looking at an error in assembly versus a design flaw or a bad batch of seals.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Never store the bike upside down. The only time the fork is upsidedown is when its hanging from a lift by the front wheel? I wonder if lift time could be causing the seal leak? Doubt it but you never know

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoesroadking View Post
    Never store the bike upside down.
    Well, that's just wrong. That will expose a leaky seal but won't cause one.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Well, that's just wrong. That will expose a leaky seal but won't cause one.
    Actually it will cause a leaky seal. It says right in the Dorado instruction manual not to store it upside down.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Pro Crastinator
    whodaphuck is correct. although a dorado stored upside-down will leak, it's because the ability to leak is inherent in the dorado's design no matter which way it's stored...

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Actually it will cause a leaky seal. It says right in the Dorado instruction manual not to store it upside down.
    This is correct. Dorado seals will dry out and get small cracks if not kept wet. Storing upside down for weeks at a time is big no no with them(as stated in the manual). Generally speaking, if kept right side up, the seals will last a reasonable amount of time.

Hanging upside down for short periods of time is no big deal, the problem is only when stored upside down.

mtbr member

Will write some thoughts in next few weeks.

Pro Crastinator
    you got a stick in your rear triangle. might wanna have that looked at...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast