Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 103

Thread: DVO Suspension

  1. #1
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732

    DVO Suspension

    So I got to ride around the parking lot on the New DVO suspension inverted fork...One word...plushness....I have been looking for the plushness of a Shiver for a long time. The 888 is nice but...oh my...I can't wait till these come out...supposedly at Sea Otter, DVO will have a booth and a few demo bikes to try out....

    Can't give out any tech info (but lets just say you are really gonna like)...pictures are missing the carbon/foam arch support that adds extra stiffness.

    Sea Otter you are going to start seeing them a lot

    FYI ...besides green they will come in black
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVO Suspension-20121218_113851.jpg  

    DVO Suspension-20121218_114110.jpg  

    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    402
    I have been looking for the plushness of a Shiver for a long time

    you haven't looked too hard??
    Avalanche forks have been around for along time

  3. #3
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by _rich_ View Post
    I have been looking for the plushness of a Shiver for a long time

    you haven't looked too hard??
    Avalanche forks have been around for along time
    hmm..been told they are nice...but the one I tried I didn't like....maybe he just set it up bad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    481
    That is so sick and you are lucky to have ridden one. Did you ride on some dirt with it? Would love to put those forks on my ride in black! So sexy! Do you know how much $$$$ by any chance?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    203
    I'll be looking at the Emerald and the new 40 to replace my AVA Boxxer this upcoming season.

    They have done a great job communicating with their potential customers. I'd like to know more about the air spring.

  6. #6
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Do you know how much $$$$ by any chance?
    add another $
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  7. #7
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Where the most tricky bit of this fork is!? The double-arch-thingy...
    pozdro
    frango

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,627
    Looks flexy!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

  9. #9
    DenverDH'er
    Reputation: rep_1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,149
    Nice! I miss my Shiver as well. Still riding my 2005 888 RC. It's been a good fork, but it's time for a new one.

  10. #10
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Who did you blow to get to bounce on that? The 2 engineers haven't even bounced on it yet.

  11. #11
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,647
    by the way, you're still fat...


  12. #12
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    add another $
    followed by a CHA-CHING!!!


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,121
    I've heard good things about it.... but god it's ugly hahaha... but looks aren't everything (which is why I run Rockshox stuff over Fox)

  14. #14
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    That is so sick and you are lucky to have ridden one. Did you ride on some dirt with it? Would love to put those forks on my ride in black! So sexy! Do you know how much $$$$ by any chance?
    no dirt riding, but would love to "borrow" it for a day (they would never get it back)

    price comparable to 888....so price won't be so high (cheaper then dorado)...yeah it was awesome...as soon as I can get one I will be riding one....told them I would give cash for a pre-order...but they said wait....they could release them right now but are still doing testing to make double sure you get the best product out there

    Wait to you see all the dials on the fork....it looks like an instrument panel off a plane or a high end watch....lots of adjustments to fit riding style and terrain.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  15. #15
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969 View Post
    Nice! I miss my Shiver as well. Still riding my 2005 888 RC. It's been a good fork, but it's time for a new one.
    me too...I love my Shiver and this new fork feels great...I wouldn't be giving up the 888 Ti so fast...also the weight is lower then a Shiver...around 3000 grams or 6 1/2....that lower then my 888 ti
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  16. #16
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    Where the most tricky bit of this fork is!? The double-arch-thingy...
    the arch was off to the mold shop to start production...they will be made out of Carbon and foam and the process makes it stiff....will add stiffness to the fork
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  17. #17
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Looks flexy!
    people said that all the time about the Shiver...
    but what people don't understand is

    A) they do flex test with fork extended...not in travel
    B) the slight flex you get gives you a better ride...meaning through a rock garden you get a smoother ride (gives a little) instead of a bouncing around more on direct and side hits of a regular fork.
    C) the picture of the fork right now is missing the stantion guard/arch support which will make it stiffer
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  18. #18
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    I'll be looking at the Emerald and the new 40 to replace my AVA Boxxer this upcoming season.

    They have done a great job communicating with their potential customers. I'd like to know more about the air spring.
    I don't know everything about the air spring but you can ask questions here or ask Ronnie here for more personal service

    definitely hold out for the Emerald....this will be the hottest selling fork on the Market (for good reason) by summer...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  19. #19
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    is this the end of the marzocchi love affair?
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  20. #20
    DenverDH'er
    Reputation: rep_1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,149

    Photos and article

    This thing looks sick!

    EXCLUSIVE: DVO Emerald Inverted DH Fork - First Look - Pinkbike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVO Suspension-p4pb8895359.jpg  

    DVO Suspension-p4pb8895360.jpg  

    DVO Suspension-p4pb8895391.jpg  


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    On paper this sure seems to be the real deal. Very intriguing indeed and what an opportunity to hop on one preproduction. It will be really interesting to see just how they perform when they are released. I hope that they hit a home run with this fork and the new shock they are developing.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  22. #22
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    On paper this sure seems to be the real deal. Very intriguing indeed and what an opportunity to hop on one preproduction. It will be really interesting to see just how they perform when they are released. I hope that they hit a home run with this fork and the new shock they are developing.
    I am telling you...it is going to be a grand slam out of the box...they could release it right now, but they want it to be the best fork out on the market with no flaws...so when you say DVO Suspension you will think Top Notch Quality..that is why they are still testing...yeah they are losing money now, but for years they will be known as the most dependable fork
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  23. #23
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    I love the controls on the top of each side...looks like a high end watch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVO Suspension-dvotop.jpg  

    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  24. #24
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    is this the end of the marzocchi love affair?
    I won't say anything but do some research about whats going on
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  25. #25
    Slap happy crappiness
    Reputation: DHgnaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    people said that all the time about the Shiver...
    but what people don't understand is

    A) they do flex test with fork extended...not in travel
    B) the slight flex you get gives you a better ride...meaning through a rock garden you get a smoother ride (gives a little) instead of a bouncing around more on direct and side hits of a regular fork.
    C) the picture of the fork right now is missing the stantion guard/arch support which will make it stiffer
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  26. #26
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    I won't say anything but do some research about whats going on
    totally aware.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryan_daugherty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,775
    Less brakes bob.

  28. #28
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    Less brakes bob.
    Parking lots are scary
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740
    The thing I wonder about if they go collet, is do collet resist the tube twisting in the crown?
    I had an old Mr Drit FAT fork, and that was the only drawback...and they had 3 bolts on the lower crown gripping the upper tubes!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  30. #30
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The thing I wonder about if they go collet, is do collet resist the tube twisting in the crown?
    I had an old Mr Drit FAT fork, and that was the only drawback...and they had 3 bolts on the lower crown gripping the upper tubes!
    too heavy.....DVO was trying different things but it added weight....so they are going with pinch bolt crowns...this is the protype and not the one going to market
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    too heavy.....DVO was trying different things but it added weight....so they are going with pinch bolt crowns...this is the protype and not the one going to market
    As in the Ti collects are too heavy?...I don't think so. Provides an equal 360 clamp force. More expensive? Yes.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    991
    Pretty sure I've seen quotes from DVO themselves stating the benefits from a collet system would be, specifically, weight savings and equal clamping forces...but they may end up going the traditional route because of manufacturing costs.

  33. #33
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    As in the Ti collects are too heavy?...I don't think so. Provides an equal 360 clamp force. More expensive? Yes.
    also unclamping issues...price probably too...I really don;t know
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  34. #34
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,674
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Pretty sure I've seen quotes from DVO themselves stating the benefits from a collet system would be, specifically, weight savings and equal clamping forces...but they may end up going the traditional route because of manufacturing costs.
    Yup, that's what was in the Pinkbike writeup.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  35. #35
    Uphill? What's that
    Reputation: Rob-Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    658
    Any idea on how many of these forks will be produced the first year.
    I have a feeling they are going to be a hard to get.

  36. #36
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    I have been hearing/seeing info about DVO for a little while. I like what I am hearing.. I am not going to jump on the band wagon just yet, but I feel there is a seat with my name on it in the future. Subscribed to get more details as they come out. Thanks for the post SMT..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  37. #37
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-bob View Post
    any idea on how many of these forks will be produced the first year.
    I have a feeling they are going to be a hard to get.
    37?
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06 View Post
    I have been hearing/seeing info about DVO for a little while. I like what I am hearing.. I am not going to jump on the band wagon just yet, but I feel there is a seat with my name on it in the future. Subscribed to get more details as they come out. Thanks for the post SMT..
    SMT is sure making some wild claims based off of a parking lot test. That being said, I've done my research on DVO and have been following the progress and I definitely like what I am seeing. The decision to have a solid, quality, base suspension with no gimmicks like SPV, Boost Valves, etc is very good to see. The motorsports inspired suspension design is a very good thing, and I personally believe is the way our suspension should be approached and executed. Its actually rediculous that the big companies haven't done something like this before. Kudos to Avalanche for being down since day 1. If this is done correctly, SMT's wild accusations will be true. And I will be on board the band wagon as well. My current suspension setup isnt leaving me wanting more, so I shall wait and see how the first batch of production goes and how people are liking them before I make a decision. I am really loving the industrial look of it, would be a nice match for my DHR On another note, I think a nice option would be to offer the upper tubes in their signature green, or black, and then possibly offer custom color anodizing on the cnc'd bits like the dropouts, crowns, etc.

  39. #39
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Pretty sure I've seen quotes from DVO themselves stating the benefits from a collet system would be, specifically, weight savings and equal clamping forces...but they may end up going the traditional route because of manufacturing costs.
    There's a lot of reasons to not do collets, but there are a lot of benefits to them as well. I've spent a lot of time talking to their engineers, they really want to do collets. Even if we don't see them on the first production year, they will probably make it on a later version of the fork. I for one don't want to have to carry around a specialty tool to take apart my crowns, even if there are benefits.

    And I think all the "wild claims" that SMT will be true. I really think this fork is going to live up to the hype. It will be a game changer like the 40 was when it came out.

  40. #40
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Any idea on how many of these forks will be produced the first year.
    I have a feeling they are going to be a hard to get.
    You'll see them on OEM bikes probably 1/2 year before you can buy them aftermarket. I bet they'll make around 10k forks the first year or so. Inverted forks are easier to manufacture, and they have the resources of Suntour behind them. I'm sure they'll be able to make enough, maybe not right away since they'll be struggling to gauge demand.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,175
    We'll see if the fork is any good, or if its a posers dream. Sure is a lot of hype built up on the forks. Could be excellent marketing, but I can't deny, the thing looks the part. I guess time will tell if it performs at race winning speeds. Until then, I think people gawking over it because of how good it looks and the engineering being marketed, need to remember to wait and see how it performs before wetting their pants riding around in sneakers with their arms and knees locked out, with no arch/brace installed in a parking lot.

    Plush is good, but not necessarily fast.....

  42. #42
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    You'll see them on OEM bikes probably 1/2 year before you can buy them aftermarket. I bet they'll make around 10k forks the first year or so. Inverted forks are easier to manufacture, and they have the resources of Suntour behind them. I'm sure they'll be able to make enough, maybe not right away since they'll be struggling to gauge demand.
    oh no struggle at all....they already have a pre-order of 3000 forks sold already...

    think about this.....start up companies want to make money ASAP...they have 3000 forks sold already....but they are not looking for the easy way and grab money now....they want to make sure everything is perfect before they release it...got to give them props...because every day that fork doesn't go to market is everyday losing money...hats off to them for doing it right and giving the populus what we want. A durable product, that just works.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  43. #43
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    We'll see if the fork is any good, or if its a posers dream. Sure is a lot of hype built up on the forks. Could be excellent marketing, but I can't deny, the thing looks the part. I guess time will tell if it performs at race winning speeds. Until then, I think people gawking over it because of how good it looks and the engineering being marketed, need to remember to wait and see how it performs before wetting their pants riding around in sneakers with their arms and knees locked out, with no arch/brace installed in a parking lot.

    Plush is good, but not necessarily fast.....
    very true....believe me...I been begging Ronnie to get little B out on the local stuff...I can just say this...I have complete faith in the competency in the people behind the product....just go out and ride Tom Rodgers bike if you can...I rode one of his air shock bikes and it felt better then my DB coil...but you are totally correct until the product comes out...but I am sure it will be the fork everyone wants
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  44. #44
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    is this the end of the marzocchi love affair?
    DVO Suspension - potential new player?

    Ronnie Dilan, the head tech from Marzocchi USA, is on ridemonkey and answers some questions to quell the rumor factory.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: B-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    749
    I read the article about this fork on Pinkbike (I think?? Maybe Decline?? Whatever) a while ago. One of the things that looks pretty promising is that they've designed the fork to encourage tweaking by everyday non-mechanics such as myself. There's a foot valve that you can remove and adjust the shim stack without draining the fluid.

    I'm interested in the fork, esp. if the price is similar to an 888.

    Personally not thrilled with the green. Will black ever be a possibility I wonder??
    Check out my You Tube Channel

  46. #46
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,674
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Personally not thrilled with the green. Will black ever be a possibility I wonder??
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that black is the other option, but I couldn't tell you where I read that.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  47. #47
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that black is the other option, but I couldn't tell you where I read that.
    Last sentence of the first post in this thread.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  48. #48
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,674
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Last sentence of the first post in this thread.
    Awesome. I knew I saw it somewhere.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  49. #49
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Awesome. I knew I saw it somewhere.
    I knew I had seen it, but I actually thought someone had said it a few posts into the thread since the usual "I hope they offer another color" post popped up.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  50. #50
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I knew I had seen it, but I actually thought someone had said it a few posts into the thread since the usual "I hope they offer another color" post popped up.
    FYI....almost all of them will be black.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •