Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DVO Suspension

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Fox have never recommended weekly service, nor would they....where do you get you're info from? It's certainly not from fox.
    I did, however, find this quote on the Fox sevice website: Tip: If you tend to ride in extreme conditions frequently (dry and dusty, wet and muddy, downhill racing, winter riding, etc.), correspondingly the service procedure items should be done more frequently.

I certainly got my information from Fox......

Professional Troll
    I"m aware of Fox's guidelines for servicing.
    Do you own a pair of 40's?
    I do, I haven't serviced them in 6 yrs. It's working brilliant, no issues, it's still like buttter which I"m pretty amazed at, no slop in bushings, structually stiff. I want it to deteriorate so I can get it checked out, but it's still going strong since day one. The seals are in very good condition, I think looking after my gear is paying off massively.

I also owned a pair of 888s, which didn't see a service for 3-4 years. When I finally broke down and serviced it, it made no difference whatsoever on how the fork rode.
    Either you don't ever ride your 40, or it must feel like absolute poop. I'll bet you $1 BILLION on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Either you don't ever ride your 40, or it must feel like absolute poop. I'll bet you $1 BILLION on that.
    Wrong on both accounts, I'm just seeing how far I can push it. Pushing the service interval to infinity is nothing new for me, like i said i did the same with my 888s, my WB DH3's, RS Psylo SL.. I don't want a fork that needs to be babied.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I do, I haven't serviced them in 6 yrs. It's working brilliant, no issues, it's still like buttter which I"m pretty amazed at, no slop in bushings, structually stiff. I want it to deteriorate so I can get it checked out, but it's still going strong since day one. The seals are in very good condition, I think looking after my gear is paying off massively.

I also owned a pair of 888s, which didn't see a service for 3-4 years. When I finally broke down and serviced it, it made no difference whatsoever on how the fork rode.
    shoot SV11, i'm not here to argue but if you are "aware of Fox's guidelines for servicing" why did you act like i was crazy when i commented with a slight
    exaggeration regarding said service intervals? Also, if you are aware of there service recommendations why would you ignore them? thats a pretty high dollar item you have there.
    if you think your fork is "like butter" then i would contend that we have different ideas of 'butter'.
    Finally, if you have not serviced your 40 in 6 years then the oil in the lowers is now mud (fact), your wipers are completely dried out (fact) and the finish on your stanchions is very likely worn (not fact, but likely). it's either that or you don't ride frequently, which i doubt. Maintenance is not just about performance but reliability and longevity too. not to mention resale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm betting on Ti springs (2 of em) twin tube independent HS/LS dampening, and an improved version of ETA mechanical travel adjust to drop it down for climbs.

Mmmmmmmm. I built an rc3 ETA 55 Ti before, and I have a feeling they're gonna knock it out of the park.

What I REALLY want to see is what they come up with for an air shock. Their Jade should be pretty damn awesome, but there are good coil shocks on the market now, with plenty of custom options.

The air shock equiv. of the Jade would be all time lust for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    raman503, mainly to see how realiable they are when pushed beyond the service guidelines. The lowers could use a clean, im guessing the oil is pretty rancid. The wipers suprisingly aren't dry...yet. In fact, it's the only part of the fork I'm anal about, the wipers. The forks stanchions have no wear marks, im not surprised due to the condition of the wipers. I've used the forks 2-3 times a wk, except for the last 4-5 months where the bike has been out of action.
    I think it's time we got back to the thread at hand.
    Aplogies to the OP for going OT.

What?

I yelled at my computer when I read this^

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I yelled at my computer when I read this^
    Not for the faint hearted.

Now I gotta get myself an Emerald to abuse, with heavier springs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by SV11; 01-03-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    How is a sarcastic remark about Fox's service intervals an advantage for all inverted forks?
    inverted forks don't have seals where the dirt just sits on them...gravity naturally helps keep them clean
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive

no service in 6 years??? pretty weird...because every fork I have changed the oil on felt bran new but plusher
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    no service in 6 years??? pretty weird...because every fork I have changed the oil on felt bran new but plusher
    Yeah, I haven't gone this long without a service for any fork, it's not something I would repeat or recommend. The service for the 888 made no real difference, im guessing I had the wrong spring in it and heavier wt oil, and the fork was plush as is before and after the service.

I will get the 40 serviced soon, I proved to myself what I needed to, so no point doing damage that's irreparable.

Bring on the Emerald, in silver.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    so, you point out his flaw in this post, but you let the other 41,00 slide by?
    Slide by? Nah, I just ridicule him in person.

Quote Originally Posted by raman503 View Post
    it's true, i was being sarcastic or exagerating, which didn't escape everybody, but to be honest i'm not that far off: change oil in lowers and inspect bushings "every 30 hours". so service your fork every 2 weeks and service your damper "every 100 hours" or every 6 weeks. I believe i read at one point that Fox recommends these services are done more frequently if you live in a crappy environment, such as Oregon, where i live. so, yeah, Fox recommends i service my fork every 1-2 weeks. with that being said, Fox makes a terrific product.

i'm don't comment enough to include a link, but if you go to ridefox dot com, click service/bike and scroll down, you too will see their recommended service intervals.
    You have 15 hours of actual ride time a week? Holy shlt that's a lot! That means, if we were to assume you a do 5 min run every run, that every 12 runs you do would be 1 hour of riding, so if you really ride 15 hours a week, that means you're doing 180 runs a week!!! Damn I wish I had your life!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Pro Crastinator
    some of us ride trails that are significantly longer than 5 minutes...

still plenty of actual saddle time though. my guess is that he is calculating the entire time he is out and about...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Slide by? Nah, I just ridicule him in person.

You have 15 hours of actual ride time a week? Holy shlt that's a lot! That means, if we were to assume you a do 5 min run every run, that every 12 runs you do would be 1 hour of riding, so if you really ride 15 hours a week, that means you're doing 180 runs a week!!! Damn I wish I had your life!
    I don't necessarily do 'runs' as much as i do hours. I get on my bike and ride it up and over and around and down and probably again and 4-5 hours later i'm done riding. I only ride lifts a few times a year when i'm in whistler or winter park or park city and if i do shuttle runs its generally after the aforementioned ride. so i don't get in 180 runs a week, but i do spend significant time in the saddle.

Professional Troll
    Wrong on both accounts, I'm just seeing how far I can push it. Pushing the service interval to infinity is nothing new for me, like i said i did the same with my 888s, my WB DH3's, RS Psylo SL.. I don't want a fork that needs to be babied.
    Then they are not getting rebuilt right. Even best case scenario for the 888, the grease on the oil seals will dry up after a year, maximum, if you are actually riding it. There is no question about that. And that makes a BIG difference in feel. So either

A. No new grease was applied so it still feels like poop, or sh*tty grease was applied
    B. There was never any grease, and still no grease so it always did and still feels like poop
    C. It was never ridden, probably unlikely
    D. You can't tell the difference, which is REALLY unlikely, even the greenest bigger can feel the difference

Not to mention that the oil just breaks down, starts getting all foamy, gets dirty, etc. Yes even in a 888 in socal the oil will get dirty. Even if you just replace that it makes a difference in the damping.

Don't even get me started on the fox stuff. Those forks didn't even use to have oil seals. Dirt gets in there and negatively impacts the lubrication oil. Those dampers are sealed so the damping might stay more consistent. But no way that you aren't having to replace the damper condom once in a while if it is actually being ridden

Living the High Life
    Must spread rep...
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Then they are not getting rebuilt right. Even best case scenario for the 888, the grease on the oil seals will dry up after a year, maximum, if you are actually riding it. There is no question about that. And that makes a BIG difference in feel. So either

A. No new grease was applied so it still feels like poop, or sh*tty grease was applied
    B. There was never any grease, and still no grease so it always did and still feels like poop
    C. It was never ridden, probably unlikely
    D. You can't tell the difference, which is REALLY unlikely, even the greenest bigger can feel the difference

Not to mention that the oil just breaks down, starts getting all foamy, gets dirty, etc. Yes even in a 888 in socal the oil will get dirty. Even if you just replace that it makes a difference in the damping.

Don't even get me started on the fox stuff. Those forks didn't even use to have oil seals. Dirt gets in there and negatively impacts the lubrication oil. Those dampers are sealed so the damping might stay more consistent. But no way that you aren't having to replace the damper condom once in a while if it is actually being ridden
    Dude, you are wrong on a lot of accounts.
    A....New grease was used, I was the one who serviced the 888
    B I never said the fork felt like poop, you did...the fork was plush before and after the service, its just that the service made no huge difference because i used heavier wt oil and spring, I have mentioned it before.
    C Come on, it was used regularly, 3 times a week minimum.
    D, like i said, there was no huge diff after the service

Don't get me started, I have no thing to lie about. The fox was purchased in 2006, todate it has not had a service. I understand you have a hard time believing that forks can go for yonks without service, providing you keep up with the maintenance. As I said before, this isn't the first time I haven't serviced a particular fork in years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you guys think twisting will be an issue with this fork??
    That factor and weight is what turned most people off of the Avalanche fork
    By twisting I mean when you crash..you have to loosen the crowns and align averything back up..

I do understand when people gripe about that if you're a hardcore DH'er..
    For me, I just freeride, and weight doesn't bother me at all(my bike weighs 51lbs)
    but, if you're looking for the most durable fork(or shock for that matter) then you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the avalanche

my entire group ride Avy forks and shocks and I can honestly tell you NONE of us has even had any problems at all ,not even a seal leak, in the past 10 years
    we ride hard too

so does the brace thing prevent twisting during crashes?? or does it just make the fork stiffer??
    oh, i'm also not sold on the air fork yet..I know they have come along way, but for now i'm sticking with my buttery smooth Avalanche coil....

Last edited by _rich_; 01-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by _rich_ View Post
    Do you guys think twisting will be an issue with this fork??
    That factor and weight is what turned most people off of the Avalanche fork
    By twisting I mean when you crash..you have to loosen the crowns and align averything back up.
    Yes it will be an issue, as it is with inverted forks. I don't see anything in the form of a fork brace, the cf arch is meant to reduce flex.
    Installing a fork brace will reduce fork twist about 70% making the stock forks about 80% as efficient as inverted forks in reducing fork twist but, retaining the front to back flex.

Professional Troll
    Yes it will be an issue, as it is with inverted forks. I don't see anything in the form of a fork brace, the cf arch is meant to reduce flex.
    Installing a fork brace will reduce fork twist about 70% making the stock forks about 80% as efficient as inverted forks in reducing fork twist but, retaining the front to back flex.
    w..t..f..?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    w..t..f..?
    Fork Twist...go do some research

mtbr member
    Wow.....just wow.....I'm 67.5% more educated about inverted forks now.....

mtbr member

3-4 years... 6 years.. DAMN! and how often do you change the oil in your vehicle?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    inverted forks don't have seals where the dirt just sits on them...gravity naturally helps keep them clean
    pretty cool. I never thought of it that way
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Professional Troll
    Fork Twist...go do some research
    Trust me, I understand the individual words and terms you used, but no one can comprehend the "sentences" you put them into.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast