Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DVO Suspension

mtbr member
    Interested to try one hope it handles the chop as well as the dorado and has its same reliability.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Interested to try one hope it handles the chop as well as the dorado and has its same reliability.
    I've heard the chasis on the DVO is stronger and stiffer, more material all over. Additionally I think they are using essentially the same seals. So chassis reliability should be as good or better all around.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    I've heard the chasis on the DVO is stronger and stiffer, more material all over. Additionally I think they are using essentially the same seals. So chassis reliability should be as good or better all around.
    I am not 100% but I would say the stanctions are bigger then the dorado
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    I am not 100% but I would say the stanctions are bigger then the dorado
    Possibly, but that's not what I had in mine. things like taper on the upper legs, wall thicknesses, bushing overlap, etc. Those are all gonna be a bit bigger on the DVO than the Dorado I believe.

GAME ON!
    i would've liked to see the gap between the two arches filled in so it acts as a built in fender. wouldn't add much weight and could prove to be pretty useful. and if not done to all, then at least done as an option.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i would've liked to see the gap between the two arches filled in so it acts as a built in fender. wouldn't add much weight and could prove to be pretty useful. and if not done to all, then at least done as an option.
    I will pass that on
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

DenverDH'er
    Yeah, that would probably also make the brace even stronger, and easier to manufacture. I'd also hope they make an natural silver option as well as the green and black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the silver would be a good addition to the green and black. in a perfect world, they would offer custom color anodizing on the silver cnc'd parts. decals to match whatever color combo you choose.

mtbr member
    I cannot wait to see what they wind up coming out with in the 180mm Single Crown category eventually.

More forks need to be PLUSH. Fox's feel so full of stiction it's ridiculous.
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    is that the brake hose guide? pretty trick.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by raman503 View Post
    is that the brake hose guide? pretty trick.....
    nah...that hasn't been addressed on first forks...they are trying them out to see where it is best for brake line

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I cannot wait to see what they wind up coming out with in the 180mm Single Crown category eventually.
    agreed! with the zoke 66 not available in the future I'm hoping they fill that segment. Not sure if USD design is the ticket for a 7 inch single crown...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    agreed! with the zoke 66 not available in the future I'm hoping they fill that segment. Not sure if USD design is the ticket for a 7 inch single crown...
    wait to Sea Otter ....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post

More forks need to be PLUSH. Fox's feel so full of stiction it's ridiculous.
    My 40 has very little stiction, if you keep your foam rings soaked in oil and pack the void with slick honey, and have the new skf seals, it's a drastic improvement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    My 40 has very little stiction, if you keep your foam rings soaked in oil and pack the void with slick honey, and have the new skf seals, it's a drastic improvement.
    Ride a Fox fork in a desert environment for any length of time, and you'll know what I mean. LOL.

The Zochi I had on my Versus that I just sold not too long ago was the plushest thing ever. My Fox on my Specialized has been rebuilt twice, and still feels like a sticky pile of poop after only a few months on a fresh rebuild. (32 Float on my XC bike).

Short travel or long travel, Fox's never feel as plush and small bump compliant as older Zochi's. Never have, and probably never will. I had an old 888 on my Demo and that was leaps and bounds more plush than my Fox is.
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ride a Fox fork in a desert environment for any length of time, and you'll know what I mean. LOL.

The Zochi I had on my Versus that I just sold not too long ago was the plushest thing ever. My Fox on my Specialized has been rebuilt twice, and still feels like a sticky pile of poop after only a few months on a fresh rebuild. (32 Float on my XC bike).

Short travel or long travel, Fox's never feel as plush and small bump compliant as older Zochi's. Never have, and probably never will. I had an old 888 on my Demo and that was leaps and bounds more plush than my Fox is.
    No experience on older marz, I hear that's really the best stuff made though. My 40 is the best performing fork I've felt, that's all relative though as everyone's suspension tastes are very individual. I've ridden old boxxers, new boxxers, and an 08 888 rc3. The marz was my least favorite, then new boxxer, then old, with the 40 being my favorite. During the summer our trails get pretty dusty so doing oil changes more often than recommended is a must no matter what you run. As long as i stay on top of it I never notice any stiction issues.

Slap happy crappiness

It rains like 10 days a YEAR where I live, the definition of a desert, and my 40 feels amazing, as do most of the other Fox's with the SKF seals. Who's rebuilding your fork?
    FWIW, one 40 I worked on always had stiction, no matter what. It was the only Fox I'd ever felt with that though and I lay my hands on a lot of Fox forks (at least 4 or 5 a day). My 40 already has less stiction than that one and it's only been ridden about an hour or so. So maybe you're experiencing some weird binding issues with either the bushings or your mechanic isn't properly lubing the seals, etc...
    Either way, your Fox shouldn't be feeling like a "sticky pile of poop."
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Coil vs. Air
    The air forks are never going to be as plush as coil, especially on the initial compression.

Regardless, I agree, Fox has a lot of room for improvement if they want to be the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

you know that silver, metal spring/ring on the outside of the fork wipers? there is also one on the inside of the wiper. removing the internal spring/ring will improve the feel of your fork and reduce stiction substantially. on the downside service intervals are increased as the seal is not as effective at keeping out debris, but since Fox recommends weekly service it's no big deal. give it a try.

Glad to Be Alive
    you know that silver, metal spring/ring on the outside of the fork wipers? there is also one on the inside of the wiper. removing the internal spring/ring will improve the feel of your fork and reduce stiction substantially. on the downside service intervals are increased as the seal is not as effective at keeping out debris, but since Fox recommends weekly service it's no big deal. give it a try.
    another advantage of an inverted fork

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    another advantage of an inverted fork
    How is a sarcastic remark about Fox's service intervals an advantage for all inverted forks?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    but since Fox recommends weekly service it's no big deal. give it a try.
    Fox have never recommended weekly service, nor would they....where do you get you're info from? It's certainly not from fox.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    How is a sarcastic remark about Fox's service intervals an advantage for all inverted forks?
    so, you point out his flaw in this post, but you let the other 41,000 slide by?
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-04-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: needed to add another zero to that number...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Fox have never recommended weekly service, nor would they....where do you get you're info from? It's certainly not from fox.
    it's true, i was being sarcastic or exagerating, which didn't escape everybody, but to be honest i'm not that far off: change oil in lowers and inspect bushings "every 30 hours". so service your fork every 2 weeks and service your damper "every 100 hours" or every 6 weeks. I believe i read at one point that Fox recommends these services are done more frequently if you live in a crappy environment, such as Oregon, where i live. so, yeah, Fox recommends i service my fork every 1-2 weeks. with that being said, Fox makes a terrific product.

i'm don't comment enough to include a link, but if you go to ridefox dot com, click service/bike and scroll down, you too will see their recommended service intervals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    it's true, i was being sarcastic or exagerating, which didn't escape everybody, but to be honest i'm not that far off: change oil in lowers and inspect bushings "every 30 hours". so service your fork every 2 weeks and service your damper "every 100 hours" or every 6 weeks. I believe i read at one point that Fox recommends these services are done more frequently if you live in a crappy environment, such as Oregon, where i live. so, yeah, Fox recommends i service my fork every 1-2 weeks. with that being said, Fox makes a terrific product.

i'm don't comment enough to include a link, but if you go to ridefox dot com, click service/bike and scroll down, you too will see their recommended service intervals.
    I"m aware of Fox's guidelines for servicing.
    Do you own a pair of 40's?
    I do, I haven't serviced them in 6 yrs. It's working brilliant, no issues, it's still like buttter which I"m pretty amazed at, no slop in bushings, structually stiff. I want it to deteriorate so I can get it checked out, but it's still going strong since day one. The seals are in very good condition, I think looking after my gear is paying off massively.

I also owned a pair of 888s, which didn't see a service for 3-4 years. When I finally broke down and serviced it, it made no difference whatsoever on how the fork rode.
    Last edited by SV11; 01-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast