mtbr member

Dura-Ace/XTR chains vs. Wippermanns vs HG-93?

I use one (Dura-Ace 9 spd 7701) on my M3 because I'd always heard it was the strongest (and I've never broken it so...) but now I need a new chain for my all mtn rig and was wondering what to get? It will have new XT cassette w/ Hone crankset/chainrings. I want strength, smooth shifts and must be quiet! What about Wippermanns? Any incompatibility issues w/ Shimano? Their ease of removal sure looks like a bonus!

Thanks,

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-08-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Meh.
    Wipperman chains will work fine with Shimano stuff. I really like my Wipperman. It's expensive, like 70 bucks retail or something.

You can use the Wipperman links on your Shimano chain. Might as well use something that you've had good luck with.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I second this. Wipperman makes great chains, but you can also just use the links. They do work really well with Shimano chains, and they are a lot easier to disassemble than SRAM Powerlinks.

JMH

mtbr member

Sram PC-59

Well I found a Sram PC-59 (or 69 - hard to tell) lying around that never saw much use (still 12" exactly between 24 links - that's good, right?) so, just for kicks, I slapped it on. WOW! Not only was it quieter than the HG-93 i was using, it shifts just as well too! And I had no problem with the Powerlink so... looks like I found a solution (for now anyway). Time will tell.

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Meh.
    The older SRAM chains (PC-59-99) are IMO much better than the new ones.