mtbr member

Dual Slalom tips needed

Hi,

I'm visiting the Dakine Freeride Festival in Austria at the end of June and I'm entering the dual slalom event as an amateur. It will be my first dual slalom event and was wondering if anybody could give some tips on how to approach it. From what I can see it is mainly a load of berms with some double jumps in the mix for good measure.

Should I use my DH rig or my Enduro?
    What gear is good for getting up to speed quickly at the start?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dropshot Champ!
    I've only done a few, so take this with a grain of salt.

Ride berms well. Know the faster lines to link the berms together for the best speed. Sometimes its actually quicker to pump the smaller jumps then air them out. Pedal your ass out at the end. You'd be surprised how many people you can knock off with just a solid push at the end. And lastly, be comfortable balancing on the bike before the gate drops. You wanna be in the right gear and ready to launch.

Really depends on the course though. Hopefully you will get a great bunch of pracitce in and won't have to run it the first time you see it.

I guess if those are the only two options I would pick the enduro.

Either way, sounds fun as hell. I'd go into it looking for a fun time rather than a podium, but best of luck either way! Post pics after!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. I think fitness will be my main problem. The track I can learn if we're allowed to practice it in advance but my training so far has been more for long distance rather than short bursts but I'll give it a go anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    for future reference if anyone wants to improve their fitness for riding get on an erg (what we rowers call it but its the same as a rowing machine/indoor rower). they are painful if you use it right and push your self but your fitness will be insanely good

mtbr member
    I ride faster on my 130/140mm 29er bike than my mate does on his DH rig on a dual slalom course, I also rate him a better rider than I am but he just can't get speed on our particular course.

The enduro would be the best option, maybe even a smaller bike to be honest. The slalom is about style, flow and having a good time so ride what you are most comfortable with.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Between your two choices.... Enduro. But I've seen guys take full 8" travel DH rigs and go deep in the field against guys riding DS bikes. Much of it comes down to the riders ability IMO.

mtbr member
    Take the Enduro.
    Practice the start - a lot. You need to be really fast up to speed.
    Work hard to get back peddling out the corners - as early acceleration as possible.
    Pump the small stuff.
    Keep your elbows out and have a lot of fun.