mtbr member

No good Dt swiss fr 6.1d question

I have been trying to get my tires onto my rear rim, a 6.1d. They are ridiculously hard to get on and I have pinch flatted the tubes the past 3 times. Is there a trick or something that I dont know about, ive been using 2-3 tire levers... I have a 5.1d on the front and that was easy to get a tube into...

Unit 91
    I feel your pain man. We had an extra set of DT Wheels laying around the shop and I wanted to throw them on but gave up because I couldnt get my Specialized tires on the 6.1's. I rode them at Diablo with Kenda tires and flatted twice, first flat it took me 30 minutes to change, second one I went home. Funny thing is with my 729's, I can put my Spec tires on without a lever.
    Bikes

Boyeeee
    Weird. I can mount tires on my 6.1s with my bare hands. Currently running a 2.5 Minion UST-ST front and 2.5 High Roller 3C in back with Stans.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    The trick I learned was to keep the tire as close to the middle of the rim as possible, which is the deepest part of the rim. You should be able to work it on that way, especially if you use the longer metal levers and take your time. I ruined three tubes in a row when I first got these, and was installing some kenda's I could take off with my hands from my Havoc's.

The other thing I would recommend is not to run them with Kenda's or any tire that tends to pinch. I'ts just not worth it. I'm running 2/7 2.5 Highrollers. No flats since that whole mess.