mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Drops - land flat or trials style?

Just wondering what you all think is the best way to do drops on a hardtail -

1. Slow and trials style - wheeling off and landing well on the back or

2. Going quicker and just pulling up a bit and landing flat.

It seems a lot of people just go flat these days. Personally I prefer the feel of the 1st method. It can feel like i lose the pedals with the 2nd method. Obviously if you are going quick you have to do the 2nd but a lot people land flat off slow drops it seems.

hcor enthusiast
    if you've got a tranny, land both wheels at or near the same time. to flat, obviously trials-style is better on yr bike and body, not to mention a lot more elegant looking.
    We are to blame because our culture has come to value two qualities above all else: “cheap”, and “more”.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any ideas on why i feel like i lose pedals when dropping to land both wheels together? maybe i should be pulling up a bit (i.e. bunny hopping) off the drop, rather than just rolling off (acid drop style)? Or maybe it is just normal to feel that way (p.s. i don't actually lose the pedals but feels like i could).

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by greenchops
    Just wondering what you all think is the best way to do drops on a hardtail -

1. Slow and trials style - wheeling off and landing well on the back or

2. Going quicker and just pulling up a bit and landing flat.

It seems a lot of people just go flat these days. Personally I prefer the feel of the 1st method. It can feel like i lose the pedals with the 2nd method. Obviously if you are going quick you have to do the 2nd but a lot people land flat off slow drops it seems.
    After playing around on a bigger drop to tranny today on my hard tail, going quicker and having your tires land as close to the same time as possible seems to be the best. If you do not have a tranny, it seems to me that the trials style is definitely easier on you and your bike.