mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Downhill Questions

Hello guys , I have been riding XC bikes for a long time and will be starting riding downhill next week, so I bought a Giant Glory 2 2014, for a really good price and it has a Rockshox Domain RC Dualcrown fork and a Rockshox Kage R rear shock and mu question is should I upgrade them ? But do not forget I am a beginner downhill rider

mtbr member
    I wouldn't upgrade anything just yet. Get a feel for the bike until you learn what you like/don't like and/or find areas for improvement. I'm not familiar with either your fork or shock but basically, if the rebound works and it's not a rolling pogo-stick, it'll be serviceable.

Lots of people spend a great deal of their time and money swapping parts and "upgrading" constantly without ever getting accustomed to any one product. Remember, it is the rider, not the bike. Keep that in mind at all times.
    HEY BIKE INDUSTRY: WE'RE NOT ALL CEOs !!!

mtbr member
    They'll be fine for general riding, in my opinion. The differences between high-end and lower-end suspension isn't always that apparent, especially when you're just starting out. The biggest differences I find are that high-end forks are a bit lighter, have ways to minimize the amount of dive that the front end has when braking hard, and they can absorb square edge hits a little better without having to soften your suspension too much. But having that level of adjustment means nothing if you can't set up your suspension properly. I'd wager a guess that more than half of the people with super fancy suspension don't have theirs set up very well, and their bikes will ride no better than with lower-end suspension. They just like to have the coolest stuff, and that's fine if it makes them happy. In your situation, you'll probably get far more benefit from just riding the crap out of your bike. Your initial learning curve will mainly be getting used to the bike's geometry and how it handles on true DH terrain. So, if you have lots of extra money, sure, go for the top shelf stuff. But don't expect selling your current stuff to get you much money back. Parts lose value very quickly, no matter if new or used. Above all, go riding as much as you can. Set up your suspension the best you can, and go have fun on it.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Glory with a similar spec and just upgraded the suspension in May. I would ride it like it came for a season or two and assess then whether or not it is worth upgrading.

Switching to a Fox 40 and Cane Creek DB Coil has made it feel like a much better bike but it was a pretty pricey upgrade. My old fork and shock are not really worth much on the resale market as not too many people are looking for low spec parts.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    Lots of people spend a great deal of their time and money swapping parts and "upgrading" constantly without ever getting accustomed to any one product.
    I wasted so much money buying stupid sh*t that were "upgrades" to my bike when I first started riding. One important thing to remember is that as a beginner you still probably have no f-ing clue what to buy. And most people will never learn. So error on the side of caution.

mtbr member
    F*ck upgrades; ride what you got until it reaches its limits. And then you'll spend money wisely and have earned it. Focus on technique and line choice and forget about the equipment; it's only the means to the end. I much rather push a bike to its limits than be overspent and lost in the cockpit. In my case, I used to bring a Cannondale Prophet to Northstar many years ago and rode that until I bottomed out and overheated the brakes; then I upgraded. But learning to stabilize an AM bike on a downhill lead me to feel super comfortable on a true DH rig. The increased stability of the DC fork and slacker HA geometry slots you to the next level and will push your speed.