mtbr member

downhill geometry, what to look for

so ive done several park visits and am now in the market for a downhill bike

what do i need to look for in geometry to ensure i get the right size, ive been trying to compare back to my trail bike and past downhill bikes ive rented but its not making any sense.

really looking at the commencal furious in a M or a L because im right on the border line

im 5'10 with a longer torso bout 140lbs with a roughly 31in inseam

i rode a specialized demo in a M this past weekend and it seemed cramped when i was on flat ground but not when riding, and by only looking at reach that matches up with the furious in L size.

i guess im not aware of how all the other measurements play a factor in that when riding though

thanks any help will be appreciated

unfortunately no downhill bikes in my area to test out

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    get a large, commencals run a little smaller than most modern DH bikes. Reach is the most important number, since it directly relates the two contact points between you and your bike (when standing). I'm the same size as you and its tough being in between sizes. The reach on a size L furious is 440, which should be pretty good for you.

My arm hurts a little
    Yah we're the same size height wize. You're an in betweener. M will feel small L big.

mtbr member
    downhill geometry, what to look for-geo.jpg

here is some number im comparing. giant trance which is my current trail bike, furious in M and L, and a M demo like i rode this weekend

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are asking questions then that means you are not 100% sure on what to get...

My recommendation: buy a used bike. This is why first off you will save thousands, second if you don't like the bike you can sell it for basically the same price as you bought it...it would be a big waste to buy a brand new bike and not like it, then sell it, all along losing thousands of dollars
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

May The Force Be With You
    I have a small 2011 Jedi all boxed up and ready to ship! REALLY Nice price too!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I have a small 2011 Jedi all boxed up and ready to ship! REALLY Nice price too!
    cant go wrong with a jedi.....how much
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Talked to Commencal and they recommended a medium frame if im going with a Furious. Said that would be a better fit for the bikes playful nature, also said if that didnt worked i could return and get a different size

Keep on Rockin...
    5'10" 140#

Medium

Unless the brand runs very small, or you are hitting up Leogang for the WC.

At your size a large DH bike will be a handful on all but the most open runs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    get a large, commencals run a little smaller than most modern DH bikes. Reach is the most important number, since it directly relates the two contact points between you and your bike (when standing). I'm the same size as you and its tough being in between sizes. The reach on a size L furious is 440, which should be pretty good for you.
    That changed in 2017. Commencal went to a more true size. Still at 5'10" get a large. Only because of your long torso and short inseam. Standover will be about the same.

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    cant go wrong with a jedi.....how much
    Naaaa ... I can't sell it bob! I just need to take my skirt off and put it back together
    Last edited by shwinn8; 06-18-2017 at 05:14 AM.

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    I'm pretty close to you in size, don't think I'll ever get a medium again, very happy on the large gt fury and had two large giant glories before that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk