mtbr member

Downhill Fork- WC or 40

Ok, I know this has been beat to shreds, and I should know, I've probably read every thread there is on the debate. Unfortunately now I'm really in the middle of it. Right now I'm running a 2008 Fox 40. I have the opportunity to trade it for a 2010 Boxxer WC. I'm a very light rider- about 120 with gear. I ride my bike on small dh trails on my campus to class about every day, and get out on bigger dh trails a few times a week as well as racing in the summers/falls. I am trying to get into relying less on my shop by doing regular maintenance myself, so I've heard that the WC needs to be worked on more often, however I have also heard that it is much easier to do so. I am a pretty smooth rider, but ride on the east coast where a majority of trails are roots and rocks, so good damping is pretty important. However, I also do urban fr with drops to flat/stairs, things like that. So big hit compliance/harsh bottom out prevention is also important

I'm just at a loss because the 40 has always sort of been my dream fork, but this opportunity is making me really analyze the pros and cons of either fork for my needs. I need to decide soon, so any opinions from folks who have ridden either fork as a lightweight rider or have second hand experience as such, I would really appreciate your input.

(Also if it matters, the 40 does not have a direct mount crown, and I'm running a Race Face DH stem on it, but the WC is including a truvativ direct mount stem.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In my personal experience 40s are super easy to service. The one-piece sealed damper makes oil changes super easy. Now that I have the method down I could probably do an oil change in about 15 minutes start to finish. Pull the lowers, drain old oil, add new oil, and replace lowers. Boxxers, at least the ones I've worked on have a little more going on inside and have slightly more demanding oil requirements. Also there is the added complexity of an air spring. So from a strictly maintenance standpoint I'd say 4Ds ftw.

Living the High Life

Screwem' buy a 888 or a Dorado.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    high performance.. low maint vs the ones you named.. get some of the new 888s.. job done.

or avy your 40, that should get you the best of all worlds.