Thread: Downhill Build

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Downhill Build

Started AM riding last year with a Trek Remedy 8. Took it out to Mountain Creek this past weekend and had such a blast (despite eating it several times) that I'm contemplating buying a DH rig.

Problem is, I can't afford a $6k bike.

Here's my question:

Let's say you were to buy a new $2,000.00 frameset (2012 Santa Cruz V10), how would YOU go about the rest of this build (with all new parts) to achieve the best compromise of quality while simultaneously not having your wife/girlfriend freak out on you for buying yet another expensive toy?

Or at the very least, what am I looking at ballpark for a complete build with medium grade components?

Thanks!

Uphill? What's that
    Building a bike from the ground up can still be pretty pricey. I did it a couple years ago. I found a used frame for under 2k and used some parts from my first bike ( brakes, derailer and handlebars). My local bike shop hooked me up with some killer deals. I didn't go total high end, I was looking for durability. In total it cost me about $4,500.00
    Another way to go about it is to get a lower end new bike and upgrade parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Buy a used dh bike complete. Easiest way to get into the sport financially. Save the custom build for the next bike when you have experience and preferences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wonny View Post
    Buy a used dh bike complete. Easiest way to get into the sport financially. Save the custom build for the next bike when you have experience and preferences.
    This

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Three simple steps.

1. Break up with girlfriend. (On good terms)
    2. Buy bike ASAP.
    3. Get back together with girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    1) Don't let your wife and girlfriend meet each other
    2) Buy a good used DH bike with parts you want
    3) while taking a weekend off to ride, get both of them drunk and see where it goes. If all else fails, at least you have a lift pass for the weekend
    4) make damn sure you're prenup is good.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    all good advice! Especially the last post that somewhat resembles a sweet '80's romantic sports comedy.

But why didn't anybody mention this :

Review: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro | Dirt Rag Magazine

Almost seems too good to be true considering how it costs like half of most of the other bikes I've looked at.

I read the review, it sounds perfect. Especially since brand new (last season's model) it'll run me what I see a lot of used rigs going for.

What are people's feelings about Rocky Mountain DH bikes in general? Seems to me the consensus is quite positive.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    all good advice! Especially the last post that somewhat resembles a sweet '80's romantic sports comedy.

But why didn't anybody mention this :

Review: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro | Dirt Rag Magazine

Almost seems too good to be true considering how it costs like half of most of the other bikes I've looked at.

I read the review, it sounds perfect. Especially since brand new (last season's model) it'll run me what I see a lot of used rigs going for.

What are people's feelings about Rocky Mountain DH bikes in general? Seems to me the consensus is quite positive.
    Positive.
    I was close to getting one, ended up on a Status instead. Could have happily gone either way.