mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Downhill Alpine Disc brake - Shimano vs Magura

Hey guys, im getting Disk Brakes for my soon to be Scott Gambler. Ive been looking at getting Magura Louise Bat Venti discs. Ive now also started to consider Shimano XT as i can get the pair for 50 quid cheaper, on the other hand, I already have a Magura Bleed kit.

Any feedback on usage in Alpine descents or bikepark usage where people are descending ALOT would be helpful. Especially brake fade.

Cheers

slow reeezay
    I own some Magura Louise BAT Carbons and regularly ride my friends bike with XT's

My vote would be with the Mag's as they provide very similar power but with far greater modulation I feel the XT's can be very grabby.

Then my new saints are absolutely awesome, best advice would be to try and ride some!
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

banned
    Note that Magura's use of the term "vented" is a misnomer, as the disc isn't really vented. They somehow made up the idea that they were vented, when in braking, it means something different. They claim the center section of the disc fans the rotor, which is not necessarily as effective as it is hyped, considering how fast the disc moves through the air to begin with. Hope so far has the only truly vented rotor for the V2, which refers to venting in between the rotor faces.

Now as far as Alpine descents go, how much do you weigh and how much do you get on the brakes? This is a critical series of questions one must address, as the Alps puts particular demands on the brakes for heat resistance. One can always go a dh brake, but some of them aren't really suitable depending on the questions.

Additionally, throwing the line out there, the Hope V2 was developed for the Alps, especially with the vented rotor. The caliper itself was designed with heat resistance in mind and the vented rotor furthers it. I've done several thousand feet at ranges near the Alps and they have not shown even pump up after dragging.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Note that Magura's use of the term "vented" is a misnomer, as the disc isn't really vented. They somehow made up the idea that they were vented, when in braking, it means something different. They claim the center section of the disc fans the rotor, which is not necessarily as effective as it is hyped, considering how fast the disc moves through the air to begin with. Hope so far has the only truly vented rotor for the V2, which refers to venting in between the rotor faces.

Now as far as Alpine descents go, how much do you weigh and how much do you get on the brakes? This is a critical series of questions one must address, as the Alps puts particular demands on the brakes for heat resistance. One can always go a dh brake, but some of them aren't really suitable depending on the questions.

Additionally, throwing the line out there, the Hope V2 was developed for the Alps, especially with the vented rotor. The caliper itself was designed with heat resistance in mind and the vented rotor furthers it. I've done several thousand feet at ranges near the Alps and they have not shown even pump up after dragging.

Cheers for that. I weigh 185lbs/85kg with gear roughly. I tend to control my speed by using the brakes lightly to control speed opposed to really hard sudden braking.

moaaar shimz
    Maguras definately.