• 10-16-2011
    csermonet
    Does any have 510 Hellcat/Minaar and NOT use SPD
    Looking into getting some 510s, really like the way the Hellcat and Minaar look, and also that they have the velcro strap at the top. I know they are SPD shoes but would it be all that wrong to run them with flats? They have a piece that plugs the SPD whole, it screws it like they could be meant to run long term with flats as well.
  • 10-17-2011
    Calhoun
    I bought the Minaars to use with my Mallets. They are awesome shoes for that purpose. Easy in, easy out. Mid-season I decided to give flats a try. I bought Crampons and 5.10 Freerider shoes. I really didn't like it. My foot kept coming off and my shins were getting shredded, but I kept at it. One wet day I decided to ride the Minaars with the Crampons and I haven't worn the Freeriders since. The grip with the Minaars is just awesome. The soles are not as stiff so you can feel more of the pedal. I actually haven't clipped in since then either, riding flats for everything now. Great shoe for flats or clipless.
  • 10-17-2011
    supercusty
    They are lead weights compared to the freeriders ... Just saying.
    I like the freeriders the best ESP if there is any pedaling involved.
  • 10-17-2011
    Calhoun
    true, but I never notice the weight after lacing them up. but I did notice the Freeriders not holding on when things got wet/ muddy.
  • 10-17-2011
    illnotsick
    They are heavier than Impacts and are really stiff. I think they will work with flats, but not as well as impacts or the freerider. The softer platform shoes allow your foot to conform around the pedal better. The stiff platform that is needed for clipless feels kind of awkward on a flat pedal. And yes they are noticeably stiffer than the impacts.