Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    N* Bomber Crew
    Well to be fair, don't plan a trip to Northstar, plan one to Tahoe. There are a lot of great trails around the entire Tahoe area. If you wanna go adventurous, look up Downieville Downhill...its a great trail. Northstar is a lot of fun, IF OPEN....ugh.

To answer your question, I am thinking its safe to leave Whistler in a league of its own.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjohnny
    what about frieght train to dirt merchant to lower a line
    Aahh yes, the trifecta of flow.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    does anyone know any dh trails in san diego

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I'd love to hear from someone that's been to both Whistler and Snowshoe? Doubt hardly anyone has though?
    I have been to both and Whistler is by far, leaps and bounds better for quantity, quality and variety of trails. Whistler grooms their trails more than SS, and now that the Garbanzo trails are added, Whistler is the only place I will take a plane ride to in order to ride my bike. It is $$$ well spent for anyone who can afford it. Plus the nightlife in the village is an absolute blast!!!!

mtbr member

Dear Northstar, Tahoe

I think you should take this as a person challenge to build the best bike park ever. You have the surrounding trails like Whistler, you can see there isn't much competition (other than Whistler), and I can actually drive to Tahoe in 4 hours. Stop living in the shadows and start building...Let's show the Canadians we mean business!

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Tamarack Idaho is aiming to compete with whistler in the next few years.
    [SIZE="4"] I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    How about now?
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Got me dreamin...

Gonna be a long wait til next season. Way to go reviving an almost 6year old thread! Gonna hit Whistler, N*, and a few others next year for sure. Just got back from Woodward West-Awesome time! DH section closed til next year now, they said...

mtbr member
    Going for the world MTBR record with that one.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

Moose Member
    Having hit whistler this summer, Nothing I've hit is close. I've ridden N*, Mammoth, and whistler only though. Northstar... I'm sad to have to go back there. It's a joke compared to Whistler. While I was at whilster (5 days) they built two new gaps near heart of darkness (including a road gap), and they had a couple trails closed for half a day for maintenance, and I would ride the trails after the maintenance, and the trails were visibly better. They do so much upkeep at whistler, they actually care about the park.

Northstar on the other hand, I think they have rebuilt half a berm in 3 years... They do some work, but not a lot to make a difference.

Mammoth is best in tahoe in my opinion. They did some good work 2 seasons ago, and are, from what I can tell, still doing good work.

If I could choose somewhere to ride right now, It would be highland. I follow them on Facebook. They were constantly posting trail updates. They build like mad dogs, and they build good stuff. The place looks like so much fun! I have a friend that rides there, and he always brags about it. I'd say Highland is getting really close. to whistler...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've seen some videos from Highland, looks like a great place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Highland is not even on the same planet as Whistler, and in my experience, nothing comes close. You can't compare a 3-4min max run to a place where you can literally string together a 30min non-stop top to bottom run. I've ridden Whistler for a whole summer and this summer i rode everything on the east coast (plattekill, whiteface, mountain creek, attitash, killington, mt snow, sunday river, highland, jiminy peak) and while they are all great in their own regard, none come close to rivaling whistler.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Northstar tries, I really think they do. But they will always struggle with:
    1. Soil that requires frequent water or it turns to silt.
    2. Almost zero natural precipitation during most of their season.
    3. Very very tight land regulations that constrain trail building and man-made irrigation.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Northstar tries, I really think they do.
    Are you serious? They've done almost no maintenance in the past 3 years. The trails are in the worst condition that I've ever seen them in at the end of the year this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness View Post
    I'd love to hear from someone that's been to both Whistler and Snowshoe? Doubt hardly anyone has though?

I have been to both this past year. They do not compare at all. Snowshoe is about 6 hours from me, and it is much smaller and not as fun IMO as Whistler.

Snowshoe is fun, dont get me wrong, but I would not travel from super far away to go there. Something that is more comparable would be Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ. that place is a lot of fun. Bigger than SS, but still no-where the size of Whistler. I have some videos of all three places if you wanna see them.

EDIT: didnt realize this thread was so old.

-Brett

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Kirkwood's bike park is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of Whistler. It is the nicest place ever. Northstar isn't too far behind Kirkwood, either. Sooo sick.
    are you serious??? N* is no where close to Whistler....no where...have you ever been to Whistler?? You have no idea....this is one hell of a false statement
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness View Post
    I have been to both.....Whistler just in length of trails is insane.....SS was fun but Whistler is way ahead of the ball game....Please note I have not been to SS since 2005
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Yes, I've been to Whistler, as well as Nelson and a few other places in between CA and BC that are super wicked awesome.

Unfortunately, Kirkwood is not one of them. That place sucks, and Northstar isn't anywhere near Whistler. I was being sarcastic. Sorry guys.
    my response to your sarcastic

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Northstar tries, I really think they do. But they will always struggle with:
    1. Soil that requires frequent water or it turns to silt.
    2. Almost zero natural precipitation during most of their season.
    3. Very very tight land regulations that constrain trail building and man-made irrigation.
    Not to mention funky weather past few years. Usually super dry, this year was humid. Even after thunder storms I don't ever remember it like that, felt like beach weather

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was at Snowshoe the first time this summer, and although it rained almost every single day, it was fantastic!

I haven't been to Whistler yet, but from what I've read/seen/heard, it's on a completely different level. Don't let something like that dissuade you from checking out Snowshoe though, it's a blast.

It also has a really good mix for gnar trails, and jump/flow trails, so theres a bunch of stuff for everyone.

mtbr member
    Big Bear 2013! :P

Downhill fan
    Highland Mountain Bike Park is my go to place here on the east coast. While the runs maybe shorter then some places and the mountain maybe smaller scaled, they build like crazy and have a great bunch of guys who build and maintain the trails. It is my favorite place to ride and recommend it to any and everyone. Other than it being smaller than others like Whistler, there is NO knocking Highland. I do want to ride Whistler in a crazy way though. It's the only place I can imagine being equal to/better than Highland....though I'm sure someone will dispute this hahaha.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Secret Mountain

I guess our mountain is still a secret!

Moo

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Big Bear 2013! :P
    yeah right...its a shame....one of the biggest population areas (Los Angeles) doesn't have a good resort within 2 hours...especially with all the mountains we have

but their is a rumor Disney is sponsoring a mtn bike park design by the Whistler crew..near Santa Clarita...I can confirm or deny it

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    yeah right...its a shame....one of the biggest population areas (Los Angeles) doesn't have a good resort within 2 hours...especially with all the mountains we have

but their is a rumor Disney is sponsoring a mtn bike park design by the Whistler crew..near Santa Clarita...I can confirm or deny it
    Right right, there is DEFINITELY no lift access near LA. None whatsoever. TOTALLY no lift access. I want to repeat that for clarity. NO LIFT ACCESS near LA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast