Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega T
    Is the freeride bike park on the lift or the shuttle side of the mountain? Went to snowshoe 2 years ago, but the lift side was a mess from a few days of rain. Is there a lot of new stuff there since '05?
    off to the left on the lift side was the freeride park....they usually close the area off....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    It aint no bike park but I call it Mecca.....

Virgin UT....

I've been to Whistler and I do make annual sabbathicals up there. But Virgin is a place on its own. Most big name videos have a Virgin feature on there. Some of the sickest riding in the world. It is the birth place for much of freeriding. Plus you get to hike a bike all day long.

Vrigin---Only for the creative minded and well hung.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Gotta give a shot out to colorado - keystone.
    you can not complain about a 7.5 minute race course (yes pro time).
    As far a bike parks go I am sure it will be in the near futrue. But the tables that stretch 25+ and the drops that can let you fall 30+. We got the gnar rocks here to.
    But I will be taking my first summmer trip to the BIG W. So any siggestion.. Would like to fly but PM and convince me other wise. Any one see problems in mid august.
    Thanks for the thread.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDHUCKSTER
    no...definately not, in my opinion at least it doesn't get any better then dirt merchant, crabapple, a- line, garbanzo...oh yeah heaven on downhill bikes.
    some of the BC locals sure seem to like sun peaks and silverstar almost as much as whistler. maybe some of the big euro resorts. i LOVE whistler but might even like the north shore even more (alot more technical that whistler)

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    It aint no bike park but I call it Mecca.....

Virgin UT....

I've been to Whistler and I do make annual sabbathicals up there. But Virgin is a place on its own. Most big name videos have a Virgin feature on there. Some of the sickest riding in the world. It is the birth place for much of freeriding. Plus you get to hike a bike all day long.

Vrigin---Only for the creative minded and well hung.
    comparing virgin to whistler, nows that's a good laugh! lets see huge vert, LONG technical singletrack descents, 3k of trails filled with tabletops, ladders, rollers, etc. maybe i am clueless about virgin, please tell me more of what they have? i know stuff like grafton, flying monkey, gooseberry, red bull site. what else?

mtbr member
    dft-

Have you been to Virgin??? If you only know Virgin from name and videos that is not enough. Sorry... trying to be nice and understand your point. I agree that Virgin doesn't have long DH runs.... or NS... or a chair lift...... that is why I put in "aint no bike park."

This is what Virgin has to offer: progression, imagination, humility, flow and the list goes on. Virgin is totally rider dependant.... if you don't bring any of the following your level of enjoyment decreases: well built bike, skills, mindset, imagination, nuts, and shovel. When you show up to V you bring your A game... but be ready to back down.

BUT there is no comparing... two totally different disciplines. That is why I still make my annual Whistler voyage.
    Bikeless Rider

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    dft-

Have you been to Virgin??? If you only know Virgin from name and videos that is not enough. Sorry... trying to be nice and understand your point. I agree that Virgin doesn't have long DH runs.... or NS... or a chair lift...... that is why I put in "aint no bike park."

This is what Virgin has to offer: progression, imagination, humility, flow and the list goes on. Virgin is totally rider dependant.... if you don't bring any of the following your level of enjoyment decreases: well built bike, skills, mindset, imagination, nuts, and shovel. When you show up to V you bring your A game... but be ready to back down.

BUT there is no comparing... two totally different disciplines. That is why I still make my annual Whistler voyage.
    like i said, i could be missing alot of the local "secret" stuff. i've been there 2-3 times and hit the trails i mentioned. i'm not bagging on it, i just like larger vertical technical trails, the stuff i have ridden there is pretty short. (but some good stuff). to me just one (of the 8 or so) mountians on the north shore is by itself better than so man yof the so called meccas out there. (just my opinion)

mtbr member
    I guess you're just not that rider required at Virgin.....
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member

Yep, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    Biker 57 (Blacrock: www.Brmba.org)

Thanks for the tip. I am in Santa Cruz, CA and I think you are talking Oregon. I'll put it on the list for sure. If you're ever down this way, we'll show you some tasty trails as well.
    Squashyo,

Blackrock is in Western Oregon, just a bit off I-5, about 40 minutes west of Salem...If you guys plan on stopping, post on the BRMBA website & you'll be sure to have some locals show you around-the local scene is totally into getting the word out on this place. But it isn't too hard to figure out on your own..good maps available at the trailhead or at Santiam bikes in Salem & Dallas www.santiambicycle.com.

I am really jonzin' for a bike ride that doesn't involve slipping around snot-slcik corners and sliding off skinnies right now. Oregon doesn't dry out til March/April if were lucky...I may take you up on getting some Norcal riding in (SC is North, right?)
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Now with flavor!!
    Whistler is head and shoulders above anything in north america. The only other place that comes to mind is Morzine in France. But that's a farther drive for most people on this board.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    i havent been to whistler, but i have been to snowshoe and diablo is my home mountain. im prety sure whistler is better then both combined. to be fair, snowshoe has long DH trails and lots of gnarly shore, and diablo is str8 up east coast rocks and has super fun jump lines. if i would have to choose an alternate trip destination, id prob go for a weekend at snowshoe...we had so much fun when we went to see monster park, we even stayed an extra day.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Whistler is head and shoulders above anything in north america. The only other place that comes to mind is Morzine in France. But that's a farther drive for most people on this board.
    Woo, I was gonna say Morzine/Les Gets area as well......we went there for our honeymoon in August.

The trails in the area were fun and the amount of terrain is insane, but the trail construction and maintenance there were pretty sad. In all fairness, we had some crazy rain while I was there, but I learned the true definition of brake bumps when riding in the Portes du Soleil region. The trail crews in Whistler have really taken their cues from the shore and those trails hold up so much better to heavy traffic and bad weather. Of course, there's also mucho rock to help with that.

Still, nothing cooler than starting the day in France, eating lunch in Switzerland and then having beers in the afternoon back in France. I'd highly recommend that area.

EBX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now with flavor!!
    I'm jealous.......I've got to get out there before I get too old. Just taking a sturdy xc bike and doing all the interconnecting routes between the big ski areas looks so fun.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Kirkwood's bike park is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of Whistler. It is the nicest place ever. Northstar isn't too far behind Kirkwood, either. Sooo sick.
    I prey to god you are joking
    [SIZE="4"]Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i went to kirkwood in the summer of 06 and it was horrible, it was basically just normal, easy singletrack, not really worth spending any money on, northstar is awsum though, really good trails there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I'd love to hear from someone that's been to both Whistler and Snowshoe? Doubt hardly anyone has though?

I have rode Whistler and Snowshoe. To be fair I rode Snowshoe in 2004 and they have done a lot of work on the Western side since I was there. Snowshoe was a ton of fun but didn't even come close to equalling Whistler in the quality, variety, amount of trails, and atmosphere of Whistler. If both areas where relatively similar to get to in costs, Whistler would win everytime.

On the flip side depending on where one lives and costs to get there can change ones perspective a bit. For example, I am now a five hour drive from Snowshoe and will be spending quite a bit of time there as I can get there quickly, cheap, and often.

I will go back to Whistler again, hopefully next year.

Fartographer

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    As far a bike parks go I am sure it will be in the near futrue. But the tables that stretch 25+ and the drops that can let you fall 30+. We got the gnar rocks here to.
    But I will be taking my first summmer trip to the BIG W. So any siggestion.. Would like to fly but PM and convince me other wise. Any one see problems in mid august.
    Thanks for the thread.
    I couldn't believe no one mentioned Keystone. I haven't ridden there yet, but it sure looks great. From what I've seen in photos, it could be the best thing in the US. I've ridden Whistler a few times and I don't think anything compares. But that doesn't mean there isn't lots of other good stuff worth visiting and exploring. Northstar is great, Bootleg is great, Deer Valley is super fun, Brian Head is fun...

But Whistler is the mecca, for sure.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    Thanks for the thread.

Sounds like a lot of fun but...Whistler as a 14+ minutes race course (yes pro time) and according to my math it's double pleasure. Since Iím 25 minutes from Whistler I think I'll stay in my area...

I have friends coming all over from Switzerland every summer to ride Whistler, they say LesGets is pretty damn fun but it aint no Whistler..

Iím sure there is a LOT of really cool places in the world but the point is: Do any MTB parks rival Whistler...I doubt it. Just look at the amount of pros living and riding there at the same time, I donít think there's any other place in the world like it.

mtbr member
    I have been to Snowshoe WV, Diablo NJ and Windrock in TN. All of these places are very fun.

Snowshoe by far has the most terrain, and I really like the Western Territorry for bombing DH runs. They have added quite a bit to the Western Territory in the last year or so. The western territory has an elevation change of about 1500ft. The basin side is mostly freeride trails, and they have some challenging stuff built up in there. The elevation change on this side is around 600ft. Here are the bad things about Snowshoe. You need to come on either a holiday or event weekend or you will have to ride a shuttle bus up from the Western Territory, and the shuttle only comes once every 30min or 1hour if they are not busy. The basin side freeride trails are too short. You basically have to ride down a fire road and then choose one of several trails. That trail is usually totally rutted out from people dragging their brakes. Then finally you get to the ladder bridges and skinnys. After you make it through these you pop back out on the fire road and head to the lift. So on the basin side you only get to do 1-2 cool things per run. My advice is come on a race weekend and enter the race for $50. You get 2 days of riding included with the race fee, and they will have both lifts running.

Windrock TN (Near Knoxville) has been built up by a group of hardcore riders on land managed by a coal company. The coal company provides the land for recreation and a land use fee of $20/day applies. These are expert DH oriented trails and there are some FR skinnys and ladder bridges/drops thrown in. Windrock has an elevation change of about 2300ft. You really need to be on your game here, and bring plenty of spare parts. Also there is no lift so you'll have to bring a pick-up truck for shuttles. But this place is an absolute blast. I would definitely say this place is more thrilling than Snowshoe just from a riding standpoint. There are no sissy lines at Windrock, and there are plenty of spots on the trails where you have to clear 6-15ft gaps. Lets just say after a weekend at Windrock, Snowshoe became a lot easier.

Now Diablo I will rate it as the most fun/hour that you can have. The place isn't really that big, but they have worked alot on cramming alot of fun stuff into the space they have. They have stuff that neither WR or SS have. They have some big drops, wall rides, big berms, an awesome jump line. Its like 10 huge table tops in a row. They also have a lot of rocky technical downhill sections. The great thing about Diablo is the number of runs you can do. Diablo has about 1000ft of vertical and the lift is VERY FAST.

In the east these are definitely my favorite places to go, and are worth planning trips to. I would like to hit up Whistler or some west coast spots, but $$$ becomes an issue, and between these 3 spots I think I have all my FR/DH bases covered.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Now Tamarack in Idaho is trying to rival Whistler, but so far they aren't even close. I haven't been to Whistler myself, but they don't even have ladders on the trails...? But give them a few years, and they might start to hit the charts.

Tamarack
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member
    " may take you up on getting some Norcal riding in (SC is North, right?)"

Santa Cruz is Northern California (sort of)...Bay Area-ish along the coast. Lotsa fun trails with goodies if you know where to go. Let me know if your ever in town...we'll hook you up fo' sho'

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd have to say Mammoth is 60% of Whister...Good variety of trails...some tech...not too many jumps though...

Bootleg is pretty sick...some big stufff...good jumps...maybe 40% as good as whister...

Kenny Powers
    whislter is the greatest, It is like heaven. A huge variety of trails, jumps, ladders, boxes, few vert ramps, DJs, foam pit. I don't know of any trails that have the flow of A line
    805/ 530

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjohnny
    I don't know of any trails that have the flow of A line
    I do. They're called Dirt Merchant and Freight Train.

Kenny Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I do. They're called Dirt Merchant and Freight Train.
    what about frieght train to dirt merchant to lower a line
    805/ 530

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast