Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008

DMR Sidekick and Trailstar...big travel?

Hey friends, a buddy of mine has a DMR, I am not personally sure what frame it is, but I know its either an 06 or 07 frame. He picked it up brandnew from a guy for $100. I think its the Trailstar but it could be the Sidekick as well.

The Sidekick is set up for a 90-100mm fork and the Trailstar is set up for a 120-130mm fork. He just picked up a Marz 55R 140mm and is planning to put it on.

Now I know its going to throw off his geometry, but does anyone have any experience with this setup or something similar. The DMR's are steel frames, so I am sure it will withstand the extra pressures if it is indeed the Trailstar, but not to keen on the Sidekick taking a 140mm without major major stresses on the frame on landings.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    not to be an a$$ but you may want to post in the DJ forum.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Well I posted here because the 55R isnt really a DJ fork and this specific DMR frame isn't really a DJ frame.

BTW, Apparently this frame is a short run of frames DMR made that was set up geometrically for 160mm forks. Anyone know what it was called?
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    Well I posted here because the 55R isnt really a DJ fork and this specific DMR frame isn't really a DJ frame.

BTW, Apparently this frame is a short run of frames DMR made that was set up geometrically for 160mm forks. Anyone know what it was called?
    exhalt are made for up to 170mm travel and aren't a short run by any means.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Its not an Exhalt as far as I know. He said it was spec'd for a 160mm...I'll try and find a picture of his bike somewhere...nope cant access myspace from work. If anyone is down to help me research this his myspace is:

www.myspace.com/mtn_biker17

I think...?????? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    DMR Trailstar is set up for a 100mm, Trailstar LT 130mm , 160mm would be a bit slack

I've had the LT and have just bought a Trailstar as a winter hack for next year.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    No, the Sidekick is set for 90-110mm and the Trailstar is set for 120-140mm and the Trailstar LT is capable of 160mm. It turns out [after sending pictures to DMR] the frame is an early devo frame of the Trailstar LT and its spec'd for a 160mm...which brings us all the way back to:

140mm '08 55R will work fine.

Bike Ninja |||
    I had.. still have actually... a tralstar LT frame, and had a 170mm 888 on it for a while. with a 24" r wheel. basically tried to make the most retarded bike with the parts i had. actually rode pretty damn well. Those frames are tough as nails.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Thats what I am figuring, being steel, they naturally have more strength than most of our standard Al frames. Still...I'm going to push to take bigger drops and hit bigger lines than he does with my Rampage. LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You do know it's easy to convert your 55r to a 160 mm travel fork? And the best part is the cost = zero $$$$$.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    I have the TST2, its already 160mm. His 55R is 140mm. How do you do it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here you go:

One leg has what looks like a hatchback lift assist cylinder, the other is whats in the photo. The side with the lift assist has rebound adjustment, but I don't remember if it's left or right.

Hope this helps,

Dale

mtbr member
    ive got a 145 manitou nixon on my azonic steelhead, its pretty squishy, but the geometry and riding it is super fun. i think once i have enough money or want to upgrade i will get a marz 4x or a rock shox pike for a little tighter riding.
    if your buddys already got the marz 55, ride it and see if he likes it... he probably will
    one of my friends has a dual-crown on his steelframe, its a little bigger frame then the steelhead or the dmrs tho
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Sweet man! I just emailed him the picture, he probably already knows bc he's a bike builder, but I have been doing this all for my own knowledge! Thanks!