Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc: El Camino or AVID?

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Shibby 
#1 ·
Haven't seen any reviews of the (final) Hayes El Camino....just some early testing stuff that sounded positive...

I'm looking for a set of disc brakes for my XC/Freeride full-suspension bike and am looking at the following:

• Avid Juicey 7 Hydraulic
  • Avid BB7 Mechanical
  • Hayes El Camino

I like the idea of the mechanicals being able to be repaired easily on the trail since there's no fluid to mess with....Then again, the long cable runs on my frame might rob power and modulation....

The one thing I hate and seems to be inherent to all disc brakes I've seen so far is brake rubbing....No matter how intricate you adjust them, nearly all discs rub...Although it hardly makes a difference, it drives me nuts knowing that the damn pads are rubbing...

Any ideas on whihc disc is best and which might be able to avoid rubbing?

See less See more
#2 ·
in my experience you can always adjust avid mechs
so there is no dragging.

i've not much experience with hydros.
but can say that i always hear my friends talking
about their hayes and hopes dragging.
even if it's just a little bit, some people complain.

avid juicy's felt perfect when i tried them.

but i'll always say avid mechs.

#3 ·
I would recommend Juicy 5s. Only $135 each for the 8 inch version at jensonusa. If you are looking for the best value brake, they are what you need. I see no reason to spend over $200 per brake when there is an option out there that works 95% as well if not the same, for much cheaper.

#4 ·
dragging = poor setup. Also frequently you'll see rear brakes in particular that drag because some dropouts on certain rear suspension designs defelect a bit under weight, so a drag-free setup on the bench will drag under load (in this case, adjust while you sit on it).

#12 ·
My hayes don't rub either :)
Also I don't think the fact that you can fix the cable brakes is reason enough to buy them.I have used Hayes hydraulic brakes for years and can honestly they have been maintainence free the entire time.I would have more trouble with freying and lubing cables than I do with my hydo's...remember this is just MY opinion

#13 ·
Amen, my Hayes brother...LOL!

zedro said:
yeah, exept when your competant :rolleyes:
Yeah, I guess some of these folks just don't read posts on this issue. That "thing" referred to as the Hayes drag that cannot be removed, is easily fixed. We've covered it many times...to the point one doesn't even want to type it in anymore. I can fix a dragging Hayes, but I don't know how to make a link to these old posts. Well, one is more important that the other, anyway...LOL! You are dead right about certain rear suspension/frame designs being more sensitive to any brake manufacturer's drag. When you get a fairly flexy rear end like the one on my '99 FSR, you have to set the caliper centering while seated on the bike...I get my wife to sit on it. A good example of this was my '00 Big Hit (really just a long travel FSR). When I istalled a complete Risse rear end and shock link on this frame, that issue went away. The rigidity in that new rear end obviously killed the flex.

#14 ·
I'm going El Camino (05 norco team dh is at the shop, waiting to be built). Had Avid mechanicals -- great for simplicity, but on long rough downhills the adjusters would back out -- also happens to my friend, but we're both 200 lbs and notorious for destroying bikes. Have had Hayes Mags the last 2 years, love em, no problems. Juicys are nice too, and maybe their teething problems are fixed now (bad polygon rotors, weak fittings that crack). Another point in Hayes favor -- easiest to find parts for them if you break something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.