BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006

Dirt Jump/4x Bike

Hey, i've been looking for a nice bike i could use for racing 4x, but still strong enough for dirt jumping on weekends. I would prefer a full suspension. I am looking at the Santa Cruz Blur 4x the most, does anyone has any feedback on this bike? Price is not really a factor.

mtbr member
    The transition double sounds like the ticket for you, or you look at the norco 4x, . You could also look into a nice quality hardtail and build it up with pimp parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    double..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Double looks like it would be a sick FS for both DJ and 4X. Hit Foggy up though cuz he could comment on the Santa Cruz 4X since he rides one. I threw my leg over it one day and just peddled around a little but no real riding. It felt like it'd be a fun bike though.

mtbr member
    I run a Giant Trance for 4x, DS and DJ's. I also ride it cross country.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride a 650B!

Local Paperboy Hero
    You don't need no full suspension... go for a hardtail. If you do go full, the double looks to be pimptacular.

a'buh?
    yeah, look at the transition double, avent arson, sc blur 4x, intense tazer, maybe the mongoose ec-x.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    transition double looks the goods.......... also the brodie nemesis are an awsome 4x bike. take off the stocko drop off 3's and put some pikes on.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by 4xrider
    transition double looks the goods.......... also the brodie nemesis are an awsome 4x bike. take off the stocko drop off 3's and put some pikes on.

The 07 Brodie Dissident (renamed from the nemesis) does just that

mtbr member
    the blur 4x is freakin killer, I take it on everything and it begs for more, today I was going tight single track, tomarrow dirtjumping. its really an awesome bike that can take whatever you throw at it, get the SC you will not regret it, it also pumps pretty well, but nothing pumps like a hardtail...
    Last edited by f0ggy; 12-28-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Cannondale17
    Apr 2006
    hmmm the Kona Howler might fit pretty well pretty light feels amazing in the air nice suspension feel.... great all around jump/4x bike i like it even better than my p2 hardtail actually

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kasadude
    hmmm the Kona Howler might fit pretty well pretty light feels amazing in the air nice suspension feel.... great all around jump/4x bike i like it even better than my p2 hardtail actually
    might as well get a kona cowan air, if your goin in that direction, also yeti 4x, or commencal 4x, there are so many options dude

Cannondale17
    Apr 2006
    true.... i didnt know what his budget is though so thought maybe the howler would be a little more wallet friendly... true though tons of options in this area just comes down to personal preference

mtbr member
    ummm....fully for 4X and DJ..........Norco 4X or the Cowan DS
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Hardtails are back for 4x and DS, I'd go for something nice like Yeti DJ.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    might as well get a kona cowan air, if your goin in that direction, also yeti 4x, or commencal 4x, there are so many options dude
    Without the RP3 the Cowan goes bob bob bob bob. Ahh, the wonders of a concentric pivot. It's nice that you can run it SS though.

Howler is a better slalom bike.

There are a lot of nimble and capable 4x bikes out there.

The Norco 4x is a sweet bike. There have been a lot of good suggestions thus far. It really comes down to how much you want to spend, what you want to do more of, and what bike fits you best.

Yeti DJ is really not so much a slalom bike. They ride awesome though. They're a little on the chunky side though.

I wish I had...
    Just test them all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Specialized SX is a sick ride, I love SC bikes and I have a V10 and a Nomad but I went with the SX over the 4x, IMHO it's a better bike. You can only get it as a frame though so that might make test riding one tough. The RP3 it comes with is tuned for gated racing.

Stand back
    An sx? When did ya get that?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    An sx? When did ya get that?
    A couple of months ago, I'm still stoked! Too bad we can't go for a ride, eh?

How have you been?

No Fear!
    If you wanna go HT i reccomend the Identiti Krisis,my friend uses his for racing DJ&4X,he won his first race the other week and is allways in the top 3.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    A couple of months ago, I'm still stoked! Too bad we can't go for a ride, eh?

How have you been?
    Well, aside from not getting enough sleep the past month (Sofia, 20-3/4" long, 7lb 13oz ), I've been getting used to my new 4x/ds/dj/trail bike - a (somewhat) trimmed down Gemini, a la Godzilla/ Rallyblue. I need new pics of it, but obviously those won't happen for a little while...
    Last edited by dbabuser; 12-30-2006 at 02:21 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Well, aside from not getting enough sleep the past month (Sofia, 20-3/4" long, 7lb 13oz), I've been getting used to my new 4x/ds/dj/trail bike - a (somewhat) trimmed down Gemini, a la Godzilla/ Rallyblue. I need new pics of it, but obviously those won't happen for a little while...
    Sorry to derail but... Congrats Jerry! My son was born two months ago! Nathan, a bit smaller than your little girl. I think the MSC series needs a Mom and Dad class! Are you going to be at the races next year?

I picked Nathan's first bike... It's also a Specialized!

See ya!
    Brent

mtbr member
    the yeti 4x is a sick bike. kind of spenci though. Also the cowan d/s is cool.
    [SIZE="5"]fertilly[/SIZE]

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Sorry to derail but... Congrats Jerry! My son was born two months ago! Nathan, a bit smaller than your little girl. I think the MSC series needs a Mom and Dad class! Are you going to be at the races next year?

I picked Nathan's first bike... It's also a Specialized!

See ya!
    Brent
    Congrats to you, too! I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to race, my wife works every other wkend, which makes things difficult... More derail - I picked out Sofia's 1st bike already, too - Like a Bike - no pedals and they can push around with their feet. Radio Flyer makes a similar bike for 1/2 the price.
    And back on topic - I'm sure either would make a kick ash 4x bike. Ahh, all the more reason to build a pumptrack!
    Golden Bike Park