mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Differences in Plushness Between 2005 Marz Z1 - FR and 2004 Manitou Sherman Firefly

I currently have the 2004 Manitou Sherman Firefly,and even though I love it's structural rigidity, I hate its lack of plushness. The kind of riding I like to do is agressive trail riding with the occassional 4 foot drop. So I am looking at getting the 2005 Marzocchi Z1 - FR1, and I was wondering if I would notice a more plush feeling. Then I would sell my Firefly on Ebay. It seems to me that the Firefly is made more for jumping, with its stiffer suspension, than it is for aggressive trail riding. Is the Z1 more oriented towards trail riding, as it has a bit more travel.

Also, does anyone know of online retailers selling the Z1 - FR1 besides UniversalCycles?

And is there going to be a huge noticeable difference between the different FRs (1-3)?

Thanks,
    BS

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit
    I currently have the 2004 Manitou Sherman Firefly,and even though I love it's structural rigidity, I hate its lack of plushness. The kind of riding I like to do is agressive trail riding with the occassional 4 foot drop. So I am looking at getting the 2005 Marzocchi Z1 - FR1, and I was wondering if I would notice a more plush feeling. Then I would sell my Firefly on Ebay. It seems to me that the Firefly is made more for jumping, with its stiffer suspension, than it is for aggressive trail riding. Is the Z1 more oriented towards trail riding, as it has a bit more travel.

Also, does anyone know of online retailers selling the Z1 - FR1 besides UniversalCycles?

And is there going to be a huge noticeable difference between the different FRs (1-3)?

Thanks,
    BS
    Hahah, define plushness.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks,
    BS
    I have an 04 Firefly on my trail/Super-D bike, and it's plush as heck, never had a problem with it. With the SPV you really have to work to get the fork setup right, but once ya do they're great. At aleast in my experience with them.

Glad to Be Alive
    Most shops if they sell Marzocchi will sell your 2005 Z1 - FR1.

Jenson and Beyondbikes are good places to start with great prices and toll free numbers. I would just call them and ask them cost and if they have any in stock.

/dev/null
    The Z.1 doesn't have any more travel than the Firefly.

For 2005, both the Z.1 and the Firefly come in 6" AND 5" versions.

If you've got "stiff travel", the fork isn't set up properly - either it's oversprung, or you've got the SPV set up inproperly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks,
    BS
    Are you speaking of plushness in terms of bighit riding or small bump absorption? I have Sherman forks on both of my bikes. The 6" Sherman breakout tpc on my Gemini and the 04 5" Firefly spv on a Heckler. The Firefly can absorb a 4-5ft drop without bottoming on my rig. I have the stiff spring as well.

On trails, I find the Firefly to be rather harsh and it does not do a great job on absorbing the small bumps. The spv and the stiff spring set up both have something to do with this. Forks with spv valving usually have a harsher ride than non spv. The breakout fork with tpc is much more comfortable for trail riding than the spv version IMO.

mtbr member
    I think someone has to come up with some sort of a plushness scale, it will make these more plush less plush observations much more definate.

banned
    my PLUSH is plusher than YOUR plush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    my PLUSH is plusher than YOUR plush!
    Is not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My Definition of Plush

Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Hahah, define plushness.

-TS
    I guess the way I define plushness is that after a long rocky downhill, are my arms and shoulders feeling fatigued when I stop. With my old 2002 Marz Z1-FR, I would feel less fatigued than I do riding the same downhill on the same bike with the 2004 Manitou. I feel the same as someone below when they said that the Firefly is great for drops, but it is pretty lowsy at soaking up small bumps. So it seems to be more geared up towards jumping than trail riding. But my girlfriends bike has a Manitou Minute 1 with SPV, and that feels a lot better in terms of soaking up small bumps. What I would like to do is be able to make the Firefly feel softer on smaller bumps, and ramp up the progressiveness of the fork for the larger hits. But it seems like you can't do this. Does anyone know what is the difference in the internals between the Minute and Firefly?

BS

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??

Imo

[SIZE=6]YOU CAN'T HANDLE TH' PLUSHNESS!!!![/SIZE]

J/K

Uhhhhh...
    I guess the way I define plushness is that after a long rocky downhill, are my arms and shoulders feeling fatigued when I stop. With my old 2002 Marz Z1-FR, I would feel less fatigued than I do riding the same downhill on the same bike with the 2004 Manitou. I feel the same as someone below when they said that the Firefly is great for drops, but it is pretty lowsy at soaking up small bumps. So it seems to be more geared up towards jumping than trail riding. But my girlfriends bike has a Manitou Minute 1 with SPV, and that feels a lot better in terms of soaking up small bumps. What I would like to do is be able to make the Firefly feel softer on smaller bumps, and ramp up the progressiveness of the fork for the larger hits. But it seems like you can't do this. Does anyone know what is the difference in the internals between the Minute and Firefly?

BS
    I'm pretty sure there is no difference. You may have a sticky SPV valve. Call Answer/Manitou and try and get SPV Evolve.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Is not.
    okay you win.

is your V-Tach built yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    okay you win.

is your V-Tach built yet?

Just nearing the final stages of production on the first run of frames. Plus I am not in a big rush as I still have one vertebrae re-compressing/de-fracturing. I Will not be riding until Jan I would bet.

I do have my parts for the build now though:

Marzocchi 888
    Orbit/Evil zero stack headset
    Magura Gustav DH
    SRAM X0 derailleur
    XT front D
    SRAM X9 triggers
    DT swiss/Hugi FR hubs laced to Mavic EX729 rims
    Maxxis Minion sry F/R
    Diabolous Seatpost
    Diabolous Cranks
    E-13 DRS chainguide (we have to ride up hills here...)
    Diabolous 31.8 bars
    Avid Flak jacket gear cables
    Titec Berserker saddle
    Salsa QR seat collar

Think that is everything. Will find out when I go to build er up!

TJ