mtbr member

Difference between Minion 2 and HighRoller 2?

On the face of it, these look so similar. Both 2 ply 2.40 casing, similar compounds, so what is the difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Similar tread pattern imo but the DHR2 has larger lugs esp side lugs.

I just mounted a DHR2 to replace a HR2 (rear). No ride time yet.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a HR2 up front with a DHR 2 out back...... or vice versa? I've heard arguments for both as fronts or back tires.
    Seems like a good combination... but which way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    Similar tread pattern imo but the DHR2 has larger lugs esp side lugs.

I just mounted a DHR2 to replace a HR2 (rear). No ride time yet.
    Did you not like the HR2 or just trying something different? BTW, It looks like the wire bead is a thing of the past, at least the Maxxis site doesn't show it the the new "2" series.

Slap happy crappiness
    The main difference to me is I love the DHRII as a rear and didn't love the HRII as a rear. The HRII seemed to "wonder" when cornering hard or braking and I couldn't get used to that. Our trails are super dry silt over hardpack though, I've heard it's a fantastic tire for loamy conditions, but such things don't exist here in my lack of the woods, I mean neck of the woods.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    The main difference to me is I love the DHRII as a rear and didn't love the HRII as a rear. The HRII seemed to "wonder" when cornering hard or braking and I couldn't get used to that. Our trails are super dry silt over hardpack though, I've heard it's a fantastic tire for loamy conditions, but such things don't exist here in my lack of the woods, I mean neck of the woods.
    I'm looking at this for lift-served Slopestyle/ light DH, Colo riding, which can range from gravely to loamy, but also damp with the afternoon rains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I'm looking at this for lift-served Slopestyle/ light DH, Colo riding, which can range from gravely to loamy, but also damp with the afternoon rains.
    I'm just trying something different. My guess is I'd prefer the HR2 at WP and the DHR2 at Keystone or Solvista. What are these afternoon rains and loam you speak of?

mtbr member
    Me and a million other people in Northern Utah used to run Minion DHF up front with High Roller in the rear. The new HR II has less tread (smaller lugs) and friends using it have reported a much shorter wear life. The new Minion II DHR has a ton of tread and the side knobs have been changed to match the DHF. It now handles much better than the old DHR and the side lugs handle much like a DHF up front. I prefer the DHR to the HR now.

Tread on DHR and HR are very different. Also one tire has a flat squared footprint, the other is rounded.

Note: I'm a hack and don't know much. I'm using this set-up on a demo 7 with 2.7 up front and 2.5 (2.4) rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder View Post
    The new Minion II DHR has a ton of tread and the side knobs have been changed to match the DHF. It now handles much better than the old DHR and the side lugs handle much like a DHF up front. I prefer the DHR to the HR now.

Tread on DHR and HR are very different. Also one tire has a flat squared footprint, the other is rounded.

Note: I'm a hack and don't know much. I'm using this set-up on a demo 7 with 2.7 up front and 2.5 (2.4) rear.
    Note to hack: Great info, just what I was looking for. I ordered the DHR2 in 42A, super tacky, so hopefully that will work out. I'm running a Spesh Butcher in front in 2.5. We'll see. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I run a 3c DHR II front, maxxpro60 HR II on the back. The DHR II has big cornering lugs (amazing cornering) and a ton of braking traction - I prefer it (DHR II) on the front b/c it feels too hard to drift on the back. The braking lugs are pretty huge.

HR II on the back has better braking traction than Minion DHF & corners about the same imo.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I driving on my bike with Maxxis Swamp tight 2.50 and in rear is HR 2.35 , it's pretty cool.