the flerg

Didn't like the rental, is a 2015 SC Nomad capable for DH at Northstar?

Rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline DH a few weeks ago and it was just to heavy and had all kinds of creaks and squeaks. Headed back to Tahoe Northstar this weekend.

Im an intermediate+ rider that takes the A lines and want to stay away from the rentals. Is my 2015 NomadC enough bike? Somewhat concerned about dinging it up too. Next step would be to buy a dedicated dh machine.
    Thoughts?
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

mtbr member
    YT USA

The cost of a frame get the whole bike.....

brake later, pedal sooner
    It is capable, but will get tiresome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the nomad is a plenty capable bike. the only time you won't be able to hang is when things get really rough or really fast. I've ridden some short travel bikes on less than crazy trails and they do really well, it's just when you're going very fast in the open or charging very rocky sections that they fall behind others.

Bring 2ply DH tires and thick tubes, and you should be fine....then look for a used bike that somebody ditched to move to 27.5 and enjoy the heck out of it when finances allow. Some good mail order deals on GT Furies right now.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I own a nomad as well and when it gets fast and chunky it will definitely bog down a bit more compared to a dh bike. I think if I was running 2.5 tires on mine though it might actually do just as good now that I think about it. If you are sticking to flow trails and mellow stuff it will be perfect! throw some 3m 2228 tape on those chainstays and downtube!
    Last edited by azdog; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    DO you already own the Nomad?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    It is capable but you will beat it up. Probably fine for a day or two, especially if you are sticking to blues and a few blacks. But, if you keep it up, eventually you'll have laydowns in heavy chum and ding your chainstays/downtube/etc. Bad for carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It will definitely work, but not preferred. Flatlines are pigs. get a nice dh bike , its all time!

mtbr member
    Sold my DH bike and now ride a Nomad3 for the bike park.
    It works fine.
    Depending on suspension set up, it's perfectly capable for the bike park.
    12 days of lift assist at Mammoth so far this season and another 20+ days of pedaling to Mammoths DH on the lower mountain.
    Main difference compared to a quality DH bike is that you'll work a bit harder at high speed, through extended rock gardens, and super steep stuff and loose stuff may require more focus. You'll likely a bit more tired and beat up at the end of the day.
    My DH days end a lap or two earlier on the Nomad than they did on the true DH bike.
    I'm faster on moderate DH on my Nomad, but a bit slower on difficult DH compared to a true DH bike.
    Nomad is better for bike park jump lines and features for me than a DH bike.
    New Nomad is WAY better than many recent single crown freeride/park bikes.
    However, if you're currently part of the carbon preservation club, best to make your peace with chips, dings and scratches.
    It's not a DH bike, but unless you've spent a bunch of time on a quality DH rig, you may not know what you are missing.

I rot before I ripen
    Ah, the death of DH bikes. Squeaks and creaks. Too heavy, it's a tank. Throw that Flatline away! Your new Nomad will do fine!

For the first hour.

Then after something breaks (the seat dropper?) and you get your second flat in an hour, and the spokes on the rear wheel start coming loose, you may start to realize that DH bikes are DH bikes for a reason.

DH is not enduro. It isn't trail. It isn't AM.

If N* doesn't kill your bike in a couple days then Whistler will kill it in an afternoon.

DH bikes are DH bikes for a reason.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

damon

mtbr member
    Good job on the self awareness.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby4me View Post
    Rented a Rocky Mountain Flatline DH a few weeks ago and it was just to heavy and had all kinds of creaks and squeaks. Headed back to Tahoe Northstar this weekend.

Im an intermediate+ rider that takes the A lines and want to stay away from the rentals. Is my 2015 NomadC enough bike? Somewhat concerned about dinging it up too. Next step would be to buy a dedicated dh machine.
    Thoughts?
    on the 27.5 guys are riding it like a mini DH bike...set your suspension right and you can ride it easily.....just be careful in the chunky so you don't scratch the frame
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by levee67 View Post
    Ah, the death of DH bikes. Squeaks and creaks. Too heavy, it's a tank. Throw that Flatline away! Your new Nomad will do fine!

For the first hour.

Then after something breaks (the seat dropper?) and you get your second flat in an hour, and the spokes on the rear wheel start coming loose, you may start to realize that DH bikes are DH bikes for a reason.

DH is not enduro. It isn't trail. It isn't AM.

If N* doesn't kill your bike in a couple days then Whistler will kill it in an afternoon.

DH bikes are DH bikes for a reason.

damon
    I couldn't have said it any better. That was the truth! As for Whistler, parts would be falling off that bike before lunch time
    Last edited by mojoronnie; 1 Week Ago at 02:19 PM.

the flerg
    Got back from the day at NorthStar and besides one fall on Gypsy it was a pretty good day. The Nomad is close but not as capable of a bike that I would like to have had. Good on the flow and tables but the chunky stuff on Boondocks and Sticks and Stones was short of what I wanted.

Going forward with a DH bike. hello PB and Eb. Thanks for your comments.
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.