Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Didn't exactly see this coming...Minaar on the Syndicate

It's official now...

In arguably the most anticipated signing for the 2008 Mountain Bike race season, 26 year old former World Champion and 2 time World Cup Champion Greg Minnaar (RSA) has today announced he has signed with the Santa Cruz Syndicate for the next 2 years.

After four years of racing for Team G Cross Honda, Minnaar has decided to race the Santa Cruz V10 next year, alongside fellow World Cup race legends Steve Peat and Nathan Rennie. Honda announced the end of its G Cross program last month.

Much speculation has been brewing over the past 5 weeks as to where Greg would race next, but for the South African, the decision was logical: -

"The most important factor for me in choosing a team I race for is the level of support, and the ability to race at my best. It's clear that the Syndicate is driven by people who love to race. To have a race winning bike beneath me as well as team mates that will continue to push me, makes me very excited about the upcoming season. We are going to be a pretty tough team to beat!"

Many of Greg's co-sponsors have been awaiting the announcement of his next team ride and will be confirmed in the coming weeks. However, Greg wanted to pay special tribute to his former major sponsor, Honda: -

"Racing for Team G Cross Honda for the past 4 years was an amazing experience. I had more wins and World Cup podiums on that bike than any other, and the support and friendliness of the whole team made for a very sad day when the announcement came down that it was ending. In this game though, you hope that there is always a new and exciting chapter around the corner, and I'm sure that the Syndicate is going to be an awesome experience for me."

Owner of Santa Cruz Bicycles and founder of the Syndicate, Rob Roskopp says about Greg: -

"The Syndicate, and our approach to it, engenders massive passion for racing and we have built the Syndicate chemistry with a cultivation of athletes that embody a similar appreciation of the family we have built. We believe that Greg will fit into the "family" wonderfully, even though he will be leaving an equally wonderful family behind.

Clearly...Greg has immense passion for his craft, which is evident in his demeanour and race results throughout the many years he has been racing. We strive to support each athlete as an individual under the umbrella of the Syndicate, in order that they may express their individuality in a manner that they feel most happy and have their personal integrity expressed through their sport. We are delighted to have Greg on the Syndicate."

Martin Whiteley of 23 Degrees Sports Management welcomes the news: -

"Our primary focus with our clients is to find them a home that really suits their character and allows them further growth in their racing. Greg has expressed to us several times that he would like to eventually race for the Syndicate so when this opportunity arose, it seemed logical. This team will become an amazing force on the circuit, with Greg, Peaty, Nathan and Josh. It's all very reminiscent of the Sunn Team days where they had several riders who could climb aboard the top box any given weekend. We wish Greg well in his new team."

Greg's first event appearance for the Syndicate will be the Sea Otter Classic, next April.
    Last edited by elohttub; 11-20-2007 at 12:28 PM. Reason: missed a word.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good to see he's getting taken care of and going to a good team.

It kinda seems like the team might be a bit crowded with 3 regular podium finishers, though

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    dang, the syndicate's stacked now. This is a surprise, didn't seem him going there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    syndicate goessssss

Lord of the Chainrings
    Syndicate ROCKS!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

dontcha?
    Damn, I guess this means V10s are going to be $10k now
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    wow syndicate is going to kill it next cup season...
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider06
    wow syndicate is going to kill it next cup season...
    If they can afford it. 3 big names in DH means a lot of cash they gotta put up now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    oh well .. i never saw this coming !!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I saw this earlier today. Somebody told me a few weeks ago that he was going to sign with Trek; obviously they were wrong. Rennie, Peat, Bryceland, Minnaar...THIS is going to be THE team to beat next year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    If they can afford it. 3 big names in DH means a lot of cash they gotta put up now.
    Obviously they have money left over from V10 production considering its been nearly impossible to get a new V10 for nearly a year. And probably nearly impossible for '08

mtbr member
    crappy frames that are outsourced means a big profit margin to fill the pockets of some big names riders.
    Good to see him on a team with good support.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    they'll have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th locked up!

mtbr member
    let the pwn'ing commence

I bike long tyme.
    Quote Originally Posted by William42

You got that right. Sam Hill will still smack them all around regularly.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Glad to Be Alive
    I'd rather ride a modified V-10 (pro specs-probably 8 inches of travel) then the bike he was riding before....better suspension then the single pivot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Classic.

Even the Syndicate must bow down to the power of Sam Hill's eyebrows.

Yebo Numzaan
    Lets hope he recovers from his shoulder surgery and returns strong. The dude has so many seasons of experiance and he is still ony 26!

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I'd rather ride a modified V-10 (pro specs-probably 8 inches of travel) then the bike he was riding before....better suspension then the single pivot

rollin
    does this mean that my V10 is race only? or will it still work for shocking and gnarling?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Obviously they have money left over from V10 production considering its been nearly impossible to get a new V10 for nearly a year. And probably nearly impossible for '08
    that and the vp-free sold out asap... last year..
    I think they should really re-design the v-10 around 8.. it seems like the magic number.

who knows, they are redesigning the vp-free, MAYBE, just maybe it'll turn into an 8inch dh slayer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    personnaly my own opinion for next season and please all you Sam Hill fan's dont kill me, but now the syndicate have greg, who's gonna push Peat to the limit, i'm 100 % sure this season if Steve Peat can do a full season without getting injured hes gonna go out with the world cup ... i'm pretty sure this season its gonna be more between Barel and Peat than Hill ... idk why but i feel that if these 2 veteran stay out of the hospital and stay healthy, they gonna rip this season BUT for sure Hill is a outstanding rider and if he comes out stronger than last season, as he can do and might do, he can easely change the cards anyday !! .. can't wait for 08 season !!

i drink shower water
    i called this the day him and honda parted ways.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

EastBaySteez
    This means that we will be seeing more V10s at bike parks this summer!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

StraightOuttaCompton
    syndicate is sexy.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast