Northstar Local
    May 2009

Did I get a good deal? 2003 Big Hit Spec (Pics)

Hey All-

So I just purchased my first DH bike and I was curious if you guys think I got a good deal, and I'm also looking for some advice being new to DH biking. I've ridden XC since I was young but only have a few days under my belt riding downhill at Northstar and once at Whistler.

Picked up a 2003 Big Hit Spec for $300. It's gonna need some work done to it but I think the price was fair considering I've seen the frames alone go for about $400. So far I'm looking at a new rear tire, new tubes front and back, new grips, tune up the gearing and possibly a new fork. The fork seems to be bent a little and makes a weird noise when rebounding. It also sticks a lot.

Another note: I'm about 5'8 150 lbs and this bike has a L sticker on it. I checked specialized's website and it says they only made the 2003 Big Hit spec in S and M so I'm a bit confused. If its a Large I think it might be a little big for me but I'm not really familiar with DH bike sizing. Does the L mean Long sizing?

Anyways, sorry for the long post just curious to what you guys think and looking for advice on the cheapest way to get this bike back on the trails. Thanks!
    Last edited by DH Spec; 05-17-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Its got what plants crave
    Whoa, that fork is definitely bent. For 300 bux tho it seems like an ok deal.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Its going to cost you 600 by the time you replace the parts that need replacing, you didn't get ripped off, there aren't too many bikes you can find for 300 bucks, or 600 even.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Possibly a new fork??? just playin'. Yeah, new fork for sure, but you still got a great deal. Nice find. Post your upgrades when you get them!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    fork

Meh.
    I think you overpaid. I sold a Bighit FSR with pretty decent parts for 400 a while back.

percocet pioneer.
    I like how you made the purchase, and THEN posted, but not asked for advice and THEN buy. That bike is trashed.

At least it has good grips.

mtbr member
    that has been raged, no doubt about it, but as every one else is saying, and they all have a good point, new fork on that is a must
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    look for cracks on the frame

mtbr member
    We rented those a several years ago at Whiteface. "S" is for short and the "L" is for long. I never noticed too much of a difference with the sizes. The top tube is a bit longer but at 5' 6'' I could ride either one. PM me as I may have a spare fork around. If you pay the shipping I would just give you the fork (If I still have it?). It would need to be serviced but the stanchions are straight.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to say but nah it isn't a good deal .....plus you need a new fork (means bike was beat up)

and the big hit groms and definately different then a regular big hit......big hit frames are worth more....big hit groms frames are not worth 400 dolars
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 05-17-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days