mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Diamondback Recoil Comp DH Rig?

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Diamondback Recoil Comp. It is a 29er. Could you throw on a nice DH suspension fork, and rear fox shock and use it for DH? Or would the frame snap from drops? I'm a newbie at DH and really want to get into it. I found the diamondback for only 343$ new (usually 949$) with free shipping and i could part out the front and rear suspension and get some newer DH suspension. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks!

RideDirt
    Dude wtf are you talking about ???!?!?!?!?!??!?!!? This is the DH section not 29er . Your dismissed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Dude wtf are you talking about ???!?!?!?!?!??!?!!? This is the DH section not 29er . Your dismissed.
    And I want to make it a DH bike! So it should be under the DH category.

RideDirt
    Nope not happening sorry, for many reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-DH View Post
    And I want to make it a DH bike! So it should be under the DH category.
    Wrong bike to begin with. 29ers aren't meant for DH, there are no frames or forks for 29ers that you could categorize DH, no DH rims either.
    Thats just some of the things that don't work.. Then there's the geo, parts and frame won't handle DH, too little rear travel et.c. et.c.

Just start off with some DH bike, like a used Kona Stinky or Spec Big Hit. If you're on a budget that is.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

mtbr member
    As people have said, you can't make a trail bike into a DH bike by changing parts The frame will not be strong enough to take the abuse and will have terrible geometry for DH.
    Technically Lenz make a 29er DH bike, but expect to pay out the nose for it. Downhill bikes are expensive, and if you want to get into it expect to pay at least $800 (used) to get something that is not terrible. Padi has some great recommendations, but it will depend a lot on what you can find in your area. Check the MTBR classifieds or Pinkbike Buy/Sell to see what you can find locally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-DH View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Diamondback Recoil Comp. It is a 29er. Could you throw on a nice DH suspension fork, and rear fox shock and use it for DH? Or would the frame snap from drops? I'm a newbie at DH and really want to get into it. I found the diamondback for only 343$ new (usually 949$) with free shipping and i could part out the front and rear suspension and get some newer DH suspension. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks!
    That is fantastic way to spend a lot of money and cause yourself a lot of pain.

The Recoil is not a downhill bike, if you want a downhill bike, buy a downhill bike.